Why become a member? ×

Dingwall basses, fanned frets

ern500evo

GAS has emerged and I find myself constantly looking at the Bass Direct current Dingwall stocklist, in particular the new 4 string NG2 models. I’ve never played a fanned fret bass before, and I’m sure this question has been asked, but how easy have you guys that play Dingwall instruments found it to adjust? Also, do you any of you use an NG model playing a variety of genres and styles? I’ve watched Dood’s Combustion vs NG vid and really like the way the NG is voiced, just wondered how it sits in a band mix when covering a variety of music genres. 

Like all these things if something is different it could catch out players with a bad technique but as far as Dingwall and fanned frets are concerned, I found them easy to play.

You've got to try one first. You might be able to adapt with no trouble but you might not like something else about it, like the sound or feel etc.

I've had an ABZ for years, and the fanned frets aren't an issue at all: as others have said, 30 seconds the first time you pick one up and they're a natural thing, and I switch between my ABZ and 'normal' Shukers at gigs without even thinking about it. The string tensions are great, and although mine's a 4, I'd imagine the benefits for a 5 are even more pronounced...If you are a 20th fret chorder, then you may have more of an adjustment to make, but that's not me...

As Chris says, try and try one first, though: there's more to them than just the fanned frets - they're light, they have compound radius boards, banjo frets, they're tonally very versatile and feel like the hand-finished quality they are. All good things, IMO... 😍

• Like 1

I put the 'P-Type' pickup in the neck position of my ABZ, and it's no longer polite - actually, I'd have described it more as 'Clean'. When I think of 'polite', I think of the Overwater I owned once (actually twice...long story) and I emailed Chis May about its 'politeness', but there wasn't much to be done about that...

• Like 1

Ermmm...funny you should say that...I've got a John East U-Retro in mine... 😁

It's more to keep consistency with my other gigging basses, all of which have East pres, but it doesn't do any harm... 😊

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I put the 'P-Type' pickup in the neck position of my ABZ, and it's no longer polite - actually, I'd have described it more as 'Clean'. When I think of 'polite', I think of the Overwater I owned once (actually twice...long story) and I emailed Chis May about its 'politeness', but there wasn't much to be done about that...

Off topic, a bit, but I know someone with Bart pickups and an East Uni-pre in an Overwater J and they don't sound "polite", "clean" or even "sterile" at all. They get a well defined, full in your face, punchy tone. I'm not keen on modding basses but I would if I could guarantee getting that tone.

This was a Perception with Overwater soapbars and their EQ. Definitely polite, clean and sterile. Probably sophisticated, and certainly a lovely bass - just not for me. Having said that, Barts (and Jazzes, even copies) aren't my thing, either...

This was before I got into modding basses, so it didn't really occur to me to start ripping out pups and EQs...I'm still not sure it would have made that much difference...

I don’t really play chordal stuff high up the, well very rarely, and I’ll still have other basses to use. I’m starting to think that @dood is a bad influence! His review was the reason I bought my EBS Sheehan dive pedal, and now since watching his Combustion v NG-2 vid I’m constantly looking at Dingwall basses! Hardest decision is which colour to choose! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ern500evo said:

I don’t really play chordal stuff high up the, well very rarely, and I’ll still have other basses to use. I’m starting to think that @dood is a bad influence! His review was the reason I bought my EBS Sheehan dive pedal, and now since watching his Combustion v NG-2 vid I’m constantly looking at Dingwall basses! Hardest decision is which colour to choose! 

Well don’t ask @dood; he’ll tell you to get a flip refinish!!

• Haha 1

I have a 4 string ABZ, a 5 string NG2 and I pick up a 5 string Z2 tomorrow. Safe to say I had no problems making the change to the fanned frets. 

I routinely swap between 4/5 string and parallel / fanned frets without issue.

Biggest issue for me was when moving between strings - for example the 3rd fret on the G string isn't directly below the 3rd fret on the B, so I was playing lots of duff notes for a while until I adjusted.

19 hours ago, Muzz said:

Ermmm...funny you should say that...I've got a John East U-Retro in mine... 😁

It's more to keep consistency with my other gigging basses, all of which have East pres, but it doesn't do any harm... 😊

I put a Darkglass tone capsule in my ABZ - transformed it from a very playable bass that I couldn’t get a sound I liked from to a tone machine. It’s become my go to bass and one of 2 I will never sell

On 13/07/2018 at 18:25, ern500evo said:

On 13/07/2018 at 20:33, Daz39 said:

Well don’t ask @dood; he’ll tell you to get a flip refinish!!

Thank you so much for the tag! It's true, I have been seriously lucky to have been able to review some pretty amazing Dingwall kit. Indeed it led me to buy my two (now one sadly due to extortionate bills). Fan Frets are dead easy to get used to and I do agree that the only thing I can think of that can be a bit of a stretch is if you are in to chordal work and are used to parallel fingerings. Everything else is a breeze, it just takes a little readjustment. I've seen youngsters handling a double bass, so the extended (37") scale length of the low B should be ok to adapt to. 

The only colour choice to go for is a flip paint finish. Soon, my current avatar logo is going to be updated to colour to match my favourite 'flip of choice'. Nearly all of my basses are flip paint. I just can't get enough of the stuff!

*I can only apologise for the gratuitousness of these flip paint shots

IMG_8986.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

fullsizeoutput_13f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_136.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dood said:

Thank you so much for the tag! It's true, I have been seriously lucky to have been able to review some pretty amazing Dingwall kit. Indeed it led me to buy my two (now one sadly due to extortionate bills). Fan Frets are dead easy to get used to and I do agree that the only thing I can think of that can be a bit of a stretch is if you are in to chordal work and are used to parallel fingerings. Everything else is a breeze, it just takes a little readjustment. I've seen youngsters handling a double bass, so the extended (37") scale length of the low B should be ok to adapt to. 

The only colour choice to go for is a flip paint finish. Soon, my current avatar logo is going to be updated to colour to match my favourite 'flip of choice'. Nearly all of my basses are flip paint. I just can't get enough of the stuff!

*I can only apologise for the gratuitousness of these flip paint shots

IMG_8986.JPG

IMG_8967.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

fullsizeoutput_13f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_136.jpeg

That is cool! I really like the Ducati white in your review video, also loving the white swirl finish. They are really good looking basses. 

2 hours ago, ern500evo said:

That is cool! I really like the Ducati white in your review video, also loving the white swirl finish. They are really good looking basses. 

Ah yes the Ducati white is so nice! The combustion basses are exceptional value for money!