Why become a member? ×

Tarting up Hohner B Bass V for solo work

lownote

Got a slightly tired and bog standard one of the above and want to pimp it for solo work (I know, I know...bass shouldn't be used for such blasphemy).

Anyone got any advice on the following:

String BEADG or EADGC?

Replace standard 5 string EMG jazz pups with ......?

Replace pre amp with ....?  or leave as is?

Best strings for dusty end work?

Edited by lownote12

I prefer the low end so how about a halfway house and D tune it so like standard E to C but a full step down.

pick up wise I just tarted my Hohner B2ADB with EMG HB’s, I did try the BTC system but I didn’t get on with stacked knobs as I am a bit thick, so I kept it vol vol tone.

If there jazz pick ups are equally as good you will have a bucket load of fun

• Like 1

Mark at Bass Direct has been very helpful and suggested a mixture of Nordstrand pups and Klockenklang pre.  Trouble is that with other fettles will likely clear £400, for which I could buy a decent bass of specific purpose.  

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Mark at Bass Direct has been very helpful and suggested a mixture of Nordstrand pups and Klockenklang pre.  Trouble is that with other fettles will likely clear £400, for which I could buy a decent bass of specific purpose.  

That's probably your best bet. In case you get bored or need to move it on quickly in future you may have something hard to shift or that needs breaking in to parts and selling piecemeal over time.

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

As said above, great mixture here, but the value of the whole exceeds the value of the bass, think about it before going on. To me, if you want to do the solo thing, tune it E to C and add a D-tuner to extend the low end.