Why become a member? ×

'Offensive' And 'Sexist' Guitar Pedal Effect

MacDaddy

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Now, beyond all this nonsense where we’re all offended...nobody asked if it was actually any good for metal.

in the meantime, ZFex or some such pig has offended me - obviously spies on my morning wake up ritual.

3C2E3AA7-3928-4C9C-8A6C-14B173E795D0.jpeg

4BF99991-F603-4614-83A5-FA00933EF047.jpeg

Yeah, again, not quite getting it 

Si

30 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, again, not quite getting it 

Si

So what, you’re “not quite getting” the need to lighten the mood (taking the pee out of myself) or the fact I’m trying to keep humour in my posts?

You’re “not quite getting” that Zvex have a pedal called the ‘super hardon’ suggestive to the male genitalia and therefore *equally* open to scrutiny (should that be SCROAT-any?)

What if it’s offensive to men with erectile dysfunction who can’t achieve a “super” hard-on?!

What are you “not quite getting”? 

Do you want me to denounce sexism? 

I don’t like sexism. There, Done.

I read out the diatribe of nonsense about the “meow meow melter” pedal patch to my wife (two degrees, breadwinner of house, earns twice as much as me, decision maker etc...) she told me that “people need to get a f*cking grip” - I agreed, we woke up the next morning and she had given it no more thought.

You’re a moderator on a public forum @Sibob - I don’t know what you don’t get; if it’s my standpoint and opinion that people need to chill out on all this “ultra offended at the slightest thing” maybe you need to not be a moderator where different opinions to yours will be heard?

It was a on a pedal on a downloadable (by choice) patch which the manufacturer deleted swiftly.

How many downloads of the patch were there, probably not that many...

If you want more than that - sorry, I still “don’t get it...”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

So what, you’re “not quite getting” the need to lighten the mood (taking the pee out of myself) or the fact I’m trying to keep humour in my posts?

You’re “not quite getting” that Zvex have a pedal called the ‘super hardon’ suggestive to the male genitalia and therefore *equally* open to scrutiny (should that be SCROAT-any?)

What if it’s offensive to men with erectile dysfunction who can’t achieve a “super” hard-on?!

What are you “not quite getting”? 

Do you want me to denounce sexism? 

I don’t like sexism. There, Done.

I read out the diatribe of nonsense about the “meow meow melter” pedal patch to my wife (two degrees, breadwinner of house, earns twice as much as me, decision maker etc...) she told me that “people need to get a f*cking grip” - I agreed, we woke up the next morning and she had given it no more thought.

You’re a moderator on a public forum @Sibob - I don’t know what you don’t get; if it’s my standpoint and opinion that people need to chill out on all this “ultra offended at the slightest thing” maybe you need to not be a moderator where different opinions to yours will be heard?

It was a on a pedal on a downloadable (by choice) patch which the manufacturer deleted swiftly.

How many downloads of the patch were there, probably not that many...

If you want more than that - sorry, I still “don’t get it...”

S’all good bud, no need to apologise.

Si

• Like 1

How on Earth is this thread still kicking around? Sexism is bad, sexism is wrong, and anyone who thinks it’s cool to have a “comedy” band that literally makes money off of being sexist is a douche.

Edited by jposega

2 hours ago, jposega said:

How on Earth is this thread still kicking around? Sexism is bad, sexism is wrong, and anyone who thinks it’s cool to have a “comedy” band that literally makes money off of being sexist is a douche.

All irony aside, I actually find that a little offensive.

I've seen Steel Panther twice, once at Download and once by themselves. They're great, they're funny, they can actually play, their shows have a really cool atmosphere about them and they take the mick out of the ridiculous bits of a genre of music I actually quite like. On a broader note, there's a long history of comedy bands and satire comedy in general. They help to keep the serious people in check. An actual, real, Motley Crue these days would be a little out of touch and certainly sexist by today's standards. Comedians remind us of things like that.

Don't insult me because you don't agree. Steel Panther have probably sold more records than 99% of the people on this board, they're doing something right.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

They make money being sexist. If you're OK with writing a song that's sexist, performing that song, making money from that song. I mean, just Google 'Steel Panther sexist' and you find that, in fact, they are perfectly happy to be offensive.

From LA Weekly

When it comes to their overt racism and sexism, Steel Panther manage to escape any major criticism because of their reputation as a self-aware parody band. But there’s just one problem with that: Steel Panther say they don’t see themselves as a parody act.

Further to this point:

“The label of being a parody band is not something we put on ourselves,” says Starr, who, as a veteran of the Sunset Strip music scene and a former frontman for L.A. Guns, has far more metal cred than comedy chops. “We just truly sing about $hît that makes us laugh.”

The singer doesn't even understand that they are  a problem. Typical successful, white, American male, thinking that he can make fun of everyone and somehow that's A-OK because nobody else has ever asked,  because sexism and racism practically define the American way (I'd know, I'm from the US).

So is the band facing any new pressure to stop making racial and gender-baiting jokes? “It’s 2016. stinky poo’s different now. And America is ...,” Starr’s voice trails off as he searches for an answer and then realizes he doesn’t have one. “Whatever,” he says. “I don’t know what to say. I’ve never been asked these questions.”

They even said they would have played Trump's inauguration:

Steel Panther have responded to claims to ‘sexism’ as well as sharing their opinions on Donald Trump, declaring ‘we’ve been grabbing pu$$ies for a long-time’.

What does all of this say to me? They're a bunch of entitled white guys that think it's cool to make racist and sexist jokes with no consequence. And remember, there are going to be lots of audience members that don't get that it could be understood as parody; to them, it is funny and it is true to their life experiences because they are blatantly sexist.

Edited by jposega
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, jposega said:

They make money being sexist. If you're OK with writing a song that's sexist, performing that song, making money from that song. I mean, just Google 'Steel Panther sexist' and you find that, in fact, they are perfectly happy to be offensive.

From LA Weekly

Further to this point:

The singer doesn't even understand that they are  a problem. Typical successful, white, American male, thinking that he can make fun of everyone and somehow that's A-OK because nobody else has ever asked,  because sexism and racism practically define the American way (I'd know, I'm from the US).

They even said they would have played Trump's inauguration:

What does all of this say to me? They're a bunch of entitled white guys that think it's cool to make racist and sexist jokes with no consequence. And remember, there are going to be lots of audience members that don't get that it could be understood as parody; to them, it is funny and it is true to their life experiences because they are blatantly sexist.

You can't take anything they say in interviews seriously because they're a parody band. They are playing the characters of entitled white guys that think it's cool to make racist and sexist jokes with no consequence because it's a parody.

I really have to contest the assertion that lots of audience members aren't in the joke. I have never, until now, met anyone who didn't get that someone so blatantly offensive could possible exist in the real world. Steel Panther take the worst bits of hair metal such as sexism, being too image-focused, having too-long guitar solos, being famous for looking right rather than being talented etc etc and they turn it all 'up to 11' as Spinal Tap once said. No-one believes this is real. On the off chance that someone out there does then they'd have to be only peripherally aware of Steel Panther, certainly not an audience member. Have you ever been to a show? Everybody there is standing, jumping, dancing, laughing, playing air guitar. Not one of them is taking it seriously.

You may well be the only person I've ever known who doesn't get the joke if you believe them when they say they'd have played the inauguration. Please, be very offended by 3 Doors Down, who actually are serious musicians, who take themselves seriously, who expect to be taken seriously, and still played the inauguration. Please, please, please don't take this man seriously.

steel_panther_tour_lexxi_foxx_14_by_silverjenkins-dbowiy7.jpg.5bca4cc832ab56bd1c97c5d940f4dfb8.jpg

Edited by Jack