Why become a member? ×

Help identifying Status Bass

w_joe

Hi

I'm about to buy a second hand 5 string Status bass but I can't seem to get any specific info on the instrument. The seller says is an S2 Bolt On from 1990. I've done a lot of research (on statii.com and other sites) and cant find one like it.

My concerns are the lack of logo on the headstock and the preamp layout (it has 4 knobs and one of them is a stacked one).

Can you guys help me identifying this bass and tell me if its legit?

Thanks in advance!

Here comes the pictures:

Status-_big_-1525788099-8.jpg

Status-_big_-1525788101-9.jpg

Status-_big_-1525788103-10.jpg

Edited by w_joe

I'd agree that the control layout looks odd and I don't recall stacked knobs or switches on Statii preamps of that era, but I'm not much of an expert. I'd get pics in the control cavity if possible.

Edit: if the price was right I wouldn't be put off by a change of preramp. Great basses these.

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Many didn't have logos on headstocks. The neck looks right to me.

But that does look like a preamp change has happened at some point.

Aside from the pickups it looks like an Energy series. Ask on http://www.statii.com/ all the status nerds are over there.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still waiting that my account is activated on statii.com so I can ask the question there. 

I believe this would be a 'Matrix' model but it's not marked as such. I had one a few years ago and that didn't have the logo on the headstock (whereas the Stealth I later owned did have). Not sure what the preamp is though, since it has that stacked control.

The model history is a bit confusing. I think the Matrix model was discontinued in the mid 90's, being replaced by the Energy series.