Why become a member? ×

Lights......but no sound

Golats

Hello folks, hope everybody's recovered from the world cup disappointment. At least England's defeat has stopped the nocturnal painting of St George's Crosses on roundabouts, bus stops, animals and public conveniences up here.

Anyway, to business!

I've just been given a Vox VT20+ "Valvetronix" combo which isn't working properly. It turns on but if you plug a guitar in and turn the volume up there is no sound at all.

A few things to note

• If you turn on the built-in tuner and play a string then the tuner works, so a signal is getting into it from the jack socket
  • Connections to the speaker seem to be sound
  • There's no sound via the headphone socket either
  • It's a valve/solid state/digital hybrid type of thing.

Anybody have any ideas about what the problem is? I remember in the olden days I used to have to replace output fuses on amps quite frequently. If one of these had blown then the amp turned on but no sound came out. Do amps still have these? 

Edited by Golats

4 hours ago, Grangur said:

The first thing I'd do is squirt switch cleaner on the valve seat contacts and make sure all of those seem to be clean. But I'm no expert. So have a bump, so someone else might see this.

Cheers, Grangur, I've got plenty of that so will give it a shot later on.

15 hours ago, Golats said:

There isn't one. It's a modelling amp so all the effects are built in.

Have you checked the input / output settings on the modelling side of the amp? Is there a bypass button? I ask as I once had problems with no sound on my rig.....until I found I'd set one of the outputs at 0.....doh!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it and I'm working through them all slowly (it's too hot for messing around with amps indoors today)

The latest finding is that if I plug an mp3 into the AUX input....it works! That means it isn't the speaker. Next thing to check is the suggestion from @Acebassmusic about the output settings.

I wish I knew what I was doing.