Why become a member? ×

Vocalists , is that what we call them ?

lurksalot

Just a thought, but I read loads of posts referring to the singer , warbler or the like as a 'vocalist' 

the term somehow doesn't seem right to me , allowing for the fact that Dad will link a dictionary definition 😉 , how does the term sit with others ? 

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Happy to oblige, courtesy of the OED ...

vocalist
NOUN
A singer, typically one who regularly performs with a jazz or pop group.

Well , kind of , jazz /pop can be just, well, vocal noises , Doobey doos , la la la's , scat and the like , but singing 🤔

Edited by lurksalot

Yep , but it's mission creep , I think the word 'vocalist' is becoming trendy and fashionable and I don't like it :lol:

it's being used far to often I reckon, and should be put on hold for a while, before we know it , we won't have any singers any more :o

7 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I think of vocalist as the catch-all term for someone who uses their voice as part of a musical performance. Not all vocalists are singers, but all singers are vocalists :)

This.  Rappers are vocalists but not singers (usually).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Yep , but it's mission creep , I think the word 'vocalist' is becoming trendy and fashionable and I don't like it :lol:

it's being used far to often I reckon, and should be put on hold for a while, before we know it , we won't have any singers any more :o

If this is the total extent of your issues with modern times, you're doing very well; I shall shed no tears. :|

:lol: :P

15 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I think of vocalist as the catch-all term for someone who uses their voice as part of a musical performance. Not all vocalists are singers, but all singers are vocalists :)

Yeah I get that and I think calling a singer a vocalist seems to be a let down on the singer 

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If this is the total extent of your issues with modern times, you're doing very well; I shall shed no tears. :|

:lol: :P

Well , I think that can be easily put to the test , I am sure that you are bawling your eyes out when you listen to my vocalising on my composition entries 😎

To my certain recollection the term vocalist has been around for years. It may now perhaps be gaining in popularity but I prefer the term:

'the annoying bastard at the front with his idiotic music stand and his crap jokes; who arrives last, leaves first and seldom buys a round; the man whose wife is in a permanent state of (i) illness (ii) vexation (iii) pregnancy; he who never scores a gig except free gigs; and his stupid hat.'

• Haha 5

55 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Yeah , but you can vocalise a bass line or a guitar solo , and OK , you can vocalise a written word by just speaking , surely a better way would be to call a singer , er, a singer 🤔

I think you've answered your own question, if you put a bass line down using a bass then your a bassist, if you do it using your voice, vocalising it, then you're a vocalist surely? 

Just now, stingrayPete1977 said:

I think you've answered your own question, if you put a bass line down using a bass then your a bassist, if you do it using your voice, vocalising it, then you're a vocalist surely? 

Absolutely , but I get the impression that real singers are getting landed with the term vocalist and I think  they are better than that 😂

6 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Yeah I get that and I think calling a singer a vocalist seems to be a let down on the singer ...

I call our singer Stéphane. :|

...Well , I think that can be easily put to the test , I am sure that you are bawling your eyes out when you listen to my vocalising on my composition entries 

Now there, you have a point. Your 'singing' is, indeed, something else. My eyes moisten at the mere thought. :/

• Haha 1

Absolutely , but I get the impression that real singers are getting landed with the term vocalist and I think  they are better than that 😂

To be fair, one does tend to say 'opera singer', not 'opera vocalist', so real talent is recognised, when it manifests itself.

4 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Agreed, although I haven't met many singers who were that worried about the distinction :)

Just now, BreadBin said:

Agreed, although I haven't met many singers who were that worried about the distinction :)

Maybe they don't spend enough time worrying and debating these important terminological distinctions , typical vocalist attitude , singers would care 😁 

• Haha 1