Why become a member? ×

Music conservatory at ... 53 years old.

Hellzero

It might not be appreciated going into this with a 'clever clogs' attitude. Doing 'standards' is what is required, so do 'standards' as best as you can, without trying to 'second guess' what they'll think. Your choices are fine; it's your performance of those choices they'll be listening to, not your 'cleverness' in going for the obscure. Sometimes (often..?) less is more. Just play 'em your best; you can't do much better than that. B|

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It might not be appreciated going into this with a 'clever clogs' attitude. Doing 'standards' is what is required, so do 'standards' as best as you can, without trying to 'second guess' what they'll think. Your choices are fine; it's your performance of those choices they'll be listening to, not your 'cleverness' in going for the obscure. Sometimes (often..?) less is more. Just play 'em your best; you can't do much better than that. B|

I’d say anything in the real book is a standard. So your choices are pretty wide, and it’s hardly being a clever clogs to do something a little more complex.

I’m assuming there are limited places, so personally I’d look for something that made me stand out. But if you can play Autumn Leaves amazingly well, love the track and are happy with it, then definitely do it!

Whatever you choose, you’ll have us all here wishing you well. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

• Thanks 1

It's indeed a Real Book pick, I was simply turning the pages, and pick the 3 ones that seemed right for an audition, knowing that it's not a "premier prix" that I'm preparing. I'll take another look at the Real Book and maybe change my choices, but I'll be playing Take Five for sure, one Miles Davis (So What was my first pick) and one walking bass ballad.

First of all: good luck!

Second, I've had this itchy feeling about @Dad3353's suggestion of "Misty". I think it's a song that allows you to show the board that you're in control and know what you're "talking" about, but also, for someone who has not yet seen admission to the music conservatory, I think it may be a risk - seeing as that nerves probably are a big part of the day, and that Misty is quite particular in its demands on your timing and consistency.

I may be wrong, but my advice would be that if you do indeed choose "Misty", then know it very, very well, and play it with a self-assuredness that knocks the board dead.

Third: good luck! 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2018 at 10:33, Hellzero said:

They tell that it's hard to study after 40, quite strangely, I've been studying all along my life without any problem. Maybe because I love that.

I disagree. Where I studied there were several mature students over 40. I'm doing my masters now and there are again a few over 40, and one of the PhD guys is over 60.

Edited by ambient
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I'll stick to my first choice. Now I need to practice, so I won't need to read and could follow the leader without thinking "Where the hell is he going"...

Good idea, it's always best not to complicate things.

I did Autumn leaves as a solo bass/chord melody thing for one of my auditions, it's a really beautiful song.

Good luck, I sincerely hope it goes well for you. I'm classed as a mature student, very late 30s. You're really never too old. It’s just a new road on the journey of life. 

• Thanks 1

The Real Book has Autumn Leaves in E minor .
Most jazzers call it in G minor because the definitive recording ( Bill Evans ) is in G minor .
Therefore I would recommend learning it in G minor for an exam because if you play it in E minor they will know that you have only learned it from the Real Book.

• Thanks 1

Just wondering which conservatory you're applying for and why?  I'm asking because I'm a similar age and would love to do something comparable.  Also, in terms of entry requirements, are they expecting Grade 8 and sight reading competence? 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cestrian said:

Just wondering which conservatory you're applying for and why?  I'm asking because I'm a similar age and would love to do something comparable.  Also, in terms of entry requirements, are they expecting Grade 8 and sight reading competence? 

From my experience; I was a mature student when I got my BMus. They weren’t actually bothered about prior qualifications or grades, I needed A levels; that was for UCAS, I had an assessment to see if I was good enough to audition, then the actual audition which included an aural skills exam, there was a was a harmony and theory exam, a sight-reading exam and a general playing exam where I had to play along to recordings in various styles, then play a prepared piece; that could be to a backing track or solo. It was probably the scariest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

• Thanks 1

Instrumental (Jazz) wise, I have always played 'Autumn Leaves' in Gm & Em...

This always makes me snigger.

"Gm if you're playing with boppers, Em if you're with gypsy jazz cats, and whatever the flip minor if you're with a singer.'

Then there is just about any key you want. Someone on the net got very busy. :D

Bm - MJQ

Cm - Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz 

Dm - Dave Grusin, Maynard Ferguson

Ebm - Oscar Peterson

Em - Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Kenny Dorham, Benny Golson

Fm - Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Dizzie Gillespie 

F#m - Earl Klugh

Gm - Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley, McCoy Tyner, Wynton Marsalis, Acker Bilk, Miles Davis, Jim Hall, Kenny Burrell, Bireli Lagrene, Julian Lage, Lee Konitz, Tal Farlow, Michael Petrucciani, Scott Hamilton, Wynton Kelly

All the best with the audition. 🤗

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Instrumental (Jazz) wise, I have always played 'Autumn Leaves' in Gm & Em...

This always makes me snigger.

"Gm if you're playing with boppers, Em if you're with gypsy jazz cats, and whatever the flip minor if you're with a singer.'

One of my gigs is with a jazz collective, they have three different vocalists, each sings in a different key, and instrumental we use another key again. Beautiful song though. I think the best version I’ve ever been a part of was at a pub in Wednesbury called the Trumpet. The owner is Algerian, he played drums for us and sang the most beautiful vocal in French.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ambient said:

One of my gigs is with a jazz collective, they have three different vocalists, each sings in a different key, and instrumental we use another key again. Beautiful song though. I think the best version I’ve ever been a part of was at a pub in Wednesbury called the Trumpet. The owner is Algerian, he played drums for us and sang the most beautiful vocal in French.

There is a transcription of the Bill Evans solo knocking around on the net. Well worth a look.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mikel said:

Its music, just pick a song and play it. Play what you enjoy, that's what playing music is supposed to be about. If it matters more to have a Phd in music than love what you play then that is a whole different ball game.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Some folks that study, in whatever subject, do actually enjoy it. Education does not systematically kill one's pleasures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be concerned about what the choices say about you. They're all great tunes, but the first two are kind of obvious, the sort of tune that you'd get on an introductory jazz compilation, the sort of tune that people who don't really like jazz could name. Not trying to sound harsh there.

I like the idea of Misty. Something like Lullaby of Birdland would be fun. A rhythm changes tune and a blues would be good.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The two are not mutually exclusive. Some folks that study, in whatever subject, do actually enjoy it. Education does not systematically kill one's pleasures.

I am aware of that, I simply feel it is more important to enjoy your music than over analyse and stress over the piece you play.  If the individual feels the stress and worry of playing something alien to them and pondering even the key to play in, rather than playing a piece they like, the way they want to play it, then I have no problem with that. I was suggesting they may play better if they chose a piece the love and can give it the emotion it deserves.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cestrian said:

It's in Luxembourg. There is no pre requirement, hence they the entry examen to check your ability to play (3 jazz standards), your harmony knowledge (I've always referred to Théorie de la musique by Danhauser) and your sight reading in the key of your instrument (practice). After that they will decide of your level and your courses. Playing 3 standards of jazz implies playing obvious tracks, hence my choice, that said.

• Like 2