Why become a member? ×

Music conservatory at ... 53 years old.

Hellzero

I'm preparing my entrance examen for the conservatory as it's about time to sum up all my knowledge at 53 years this August.

I'll have to play 3 jazz standards. I thought that these 3 standards would be perfect : Take Five (I can easily solo on this one), Autumn Leaves and All Blues.

If you have any suggestions, they are welcome.

40 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

...If you have any suggestions, they are welcome.

I've always liked Erroll Garner's 'Misty', and am still working on it; have been for a few decades, now. One day, maybe...

Good luck with the audition; the French use the 'mot de Cambronne' for these occasions. The British say 'Break a leg'. 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mikel said:

Very good luck, but why should the fact you are 53 be of any significance? :D

They tell that it's hard to study after 40, quite strangely, I've been studying all along my life without any problem. Maybe because I love that.

57 minutes ago, Yank said:

Good luck to you.  Three great songs.  Take Five shows you can play in odd time signatures.  Autumn Leaves shows you can play slow with emotion,  and All Blues shows you can play modes.  What instrument?

Thanks, it will be bass, more precisely 6 strings fretless bass. It's a bit more challenging. Maybe they will refuse me, but at least I would have tried. 

11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Thanks, it will be bass, more precisely 6 strings fretless bass. It's a bit more challenging. Maybe they will refuse me, but at least I would have tried. 

If you're comfortable playing those standards on that instrument, there's no reason to refuse you, especially if you're eager to learn even more (learning is what Conservatory is for, after all...). Our youngest plays a similar bass (has done almost from the 'off'...), and is entirely at ease with it. You'll be fine, if you're not of a nervous disposition. Just play as you normally would at home, relaxed and confident. The fingers will do the rest. Knock 'em dead..! ;)

• Thanks 1

I think you've chosen well. Take Five will show your competence in playing and soloing in an "odd" time signature. Autumn Leaves is a tired old warhorse, but an essential one to be absolutely competent in. And All Blues will demonstrate groove playing and blues soloing. Good luck. Can you bring a backing track, or will someone there comp on a keyboard during the interview?

• Thanks 1

Best wishes! and very well done for going for it. Respect. 

I took Bass Guitar Grade 1 at 60 and Grade 2 at 62 - got a Distinction in both. I did find it a bit disturbing sitting in the waiting room surrounded by parents who had brought their sprogs in for the exams and who were obviously much younger than me! 

Obviously you have much more at stake, but please don't let yourself be put off if you're waiting with entrants 30 years younger. It doesn't mean they're better, or more deserving than you of getting in. 

Oh and I totally f****d up the most important part of the 2 through nerves - broke down and said "Sorry, I've lost it." The examiner just calmly let me do it again, and his written comment was very positive. I suspect recovering under pressure is a skill they value. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rob MacKillop said:

I think you've chosen well. Take Five will show your competence in playing and soloing in an "odd" time signature. Autumn Leaves is a tired old warhorse, but an essential one to be absolutely competent in. And All Blues will demonstrate groove playing and blues soloing. Good luck. Can you bring a backing track, or will someone there comp on a keyboard during the interview?

Thanks. If it's still the same interview system (some fellow player have made a few years there, only one got his first level) , there will be the music teachers playing with me, but I better ask before.

Autumn Leaves is a tough one. It’s like the Stairway to Heaven of jazz (perhaps only a little less annoying than Summertime). But that’s my view, and I’m sure isn’t shared.

Personally I’d do another ballad to show off your depth of knowledge within the jazz field.

Your audition, but I think you want to knock their socks off really. 

• Thanks 2

Sure, I want.

The problem is that I have to choose 3 jazz standards. I think that The Girl from Ipanema could be a very interesting bossa ballad to play... And I really love that tune, even more than Desafinado