Why become a member? ×

Frank bello

Thunderbird

I've never been a fan of Anthrax either, preferring the other three of the Big Four, but I'm a big fan of Frank's, especially since I saw him at the LBGS 2014. Friendly, down-to-earth and encouraging. I found his masterclass highly inspiring, and he's got the chops too! Filming was prohibited at the LBGS, so I've got no footage of my own, and the only vid I've found - not sure if sneaky or authorised! - is this:

I can't abide Thrash Metal but am very partial to the John Bush era of Anthrax when they changed their style. The basswork is uniformly excellent throughout albums like Sound of White Noise and  We've Come for You All. For me the Bush era has much better singing, more melodic songs and avoids too much irritating pointless widdling

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on Mr bello I'm not a huge anthrax fan but I love Franks playing but no one seems to mention him and on footage I have seen of him he seems like a right nice guy 

I interviewed Frank some years ago along with David Ellefson and I have to say that they are both super nice guys. Really down to earth and chatty. You'd be forgiven for thinking you were just hanging out with a fellow BassChatter. Frank even got me a beer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dood said:

I interviewed Frank some years ago along with David Ellefson and I have to say that they are both super nice guys. Really down to earth and chatty. You'd be forgiven for thinking you were just hanging out with a fellow BassChatter. Frank even got me a beer.

That is the difference between musicians that have to work for their living and pampered over produced pop stars who think the sun shines out of their behinds because someone else wrote a hit song for them... .bit like footballers vs rugby players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dood said:

Wow what a lucky guy you are I would love to sit down with those two and shoot the breeze 

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Wow what a lucky guy you are I would love to sit down with those two and shoot the breeze 

Thank you so much! On the day, we set up the interview and David came up to the studio. The original plan was for me to follow my guide questions, but we got engrossed in to a really long conversation instead. So much so that we actually ran in to the allotted soundcheck time! I didn't open my pad once throughout the interview itself but we certainly talked about some really cool stuff! Frank's interview was also meant to be in the studio but due to timings we couldn't get back in. My notes being behind a locked door,  I was told that I would quiz him in front of the awaiting audience instead. Which was nerve wracking. Frank, ever the gentleman was more than pleased just to, as you say, shoot the breeze and talk about his bass tone and what's important to him as a musician. I'd have to say that although the interviews were for a magazine, for me, it was an opportunity to reach out and do exactly as you've said. Two memories I hold dear. 

• Like 2

Frank Bello - absolute legend, saw him play in the 80's and then again a couple of years ago he's still got that boundless energy and enthusiasm along with amazing finger style playing and a cut above most thrash bass players of his generation. 

GungHo from Spreading the Disease - speed and technicality masterclass.

Also seem to come across as one of life's nice guys.  

• Like 1