Why become a member? ×

your favorite fretless bass albums!

fiatcoupe432

Yes, Jack Bruce, but there is no entire album on fretless, but his way playing was a great source of inspiration for me.

He was also a great vina player, an Indian instrument. 

His first Warwick Signature model was a terrific bass.

On the double live album Cities of the Heart with Gary Moore, Ginger Baker, Simon Philips, François Garny (another terrific bass player) he is playing a lot of fretless, just like on Sometin Els.

I prefer "Basse contre basse" with Alain Caron on bass (mostly fretless) and Michel Donato on double bass, splendid interaction between the two, and almost a duet album with only percussions added by some obscure players (I'm kidding). 🤗

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I prefer "Basse contre basse" with Alain Caron on bass (mostly fretless) and Michel Donato on double bass, splendid interaction between the two, and almost a duet album with only percussions added by some obscure players (I'm kidding). 🤗

... or just the two of 'em ...

• Like 2

And similar first name, Tony.

As an avant-goût, you can check the noise we were making some 16 years ago http://users.skynet.be/sb134986/index.htm

It's also a fretless album in fact, even if some tracks should have been discarded (to my ears), recorded in one take except the last title Stabushu Raga.

How did you know about my (one day) forthcoming (maybe) album (when I can put all those riffs, licks, phrases and ideas together to be part of an entire raga) ? 😉

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

How did you know about my (one day) forthcoming (maybe) album (when I can put all those riffs, licks, phrases and ideas together to be part of an entire raga) ? 😉

Cause my first name is Tony and like you(and I'm sure lots others ) I also have lots of unfinished tracks that need completing and hopefully one day I'll be able to realise them ! Time is always the issue when you have a family ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

And similar first name, Tony.

As an avant-goût, you can check the noise we were making some 16 years ago http://users.skynet.be/sb134986/index.htm

It's also a fretless album in fact, even if some tracks should have been discarded (to my ears), recorded in one take except the last title Stabushu Raga.

I will listen to it tomorrow eve as I have finally some spare time 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

@Hellzero

another great fretless player ! Metz

you will like this !  

I don't like it, I love it as a whole. Those handpans aka hang drums are a wonderful invention, and using a jew's harp this way is also wonderful as the bansuri and the fretless. 

Thanks Tony.

Edited by Hellzero
Thanks Tony.