Why become a member? ×

your favorite fretless bass albums!

fiatcoupe432

Don't wanna sound repetitive but No Parlez and Tin Drum for me. But a much less known little gem is Singing Sands, a collaboration between celtic acoustic guitar virtuoso Tony McManus and French fretless maestro Alain Gentry. I bought this album cos of TM, who is an outstanding acoustic guitarist but was more than pleasantly surprised by Alain Genty's tasteful basswork

• Like 1

Jaco holy trinity for me:

• WR -  'Heavy Weather'
  • Joni - 'Hejra'
  • JP - 'Jaco Pastorius'

I'd add Kate Bush - 'Hounds of Love'.

And Hadrien Feruad played quite a bit of tasty fretless on  'The Vigil' with Chick too.

And probably with my former Leduc 6 strings fretless that he still owns and I always told him when he still was on some forums that he was playing too many notes, seems like I was right as this what has upset at least 2 band leaders...

hadrien01s.jpg.4e145e09bda5970af1296d5dac8a9cc0.jpg

He is an absolutely furious player but I still don't 'feel' his voice as a player. I had thought that, when he exploded into the scene a decade ago, that this was something that would develop in time. I'm no stranger to fast bebop lines and fusion playing but Hadrien's playing still misses the mark with me, a lot of the time. 

Perhaps part of the problem is that, unlike the fusion greats who established themselves a few years ago, he hasn't really been in an amazing band with other bandmates to bring him up. His tenure with McLaughlin was pretty short and he hasn't had the launchpad of a UZEB, Bruford or Weather Report type outfit in which to really develop as a band player. 

• Like 1

Despite being one of the bands I have seen the most times I still have to remind myself that David J of Bauhaus played fretless. One of the pleasures of old age this not remembering lark...

Edited by Frank Blank
Quantum entanglement
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

And probably with my former Leduc 6 strings fretless that he still owns and I always told him when he still was on some forums that he was playing too many notes, seems like I was right as this what has upset at least 2 band leaders...

hadrien01s.jpg.4e145e09bda5970af1296d5dac8a9cc0.jpg

Erm no it wasn't. I seem to remember it being his Godin. (At the Ronnie Scott's performance) anyway.

Here at 1:50...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tbG5AbbnI8

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

That's indeed a Godin, you are right. Maybe he burned my bass after what I told him. xD

And he has a rather nifty F-bass fretless five... See the TC Electronics vids of his signature soundprint.