Why become a member? ×

your favorite fretless bass albums!

fiatcoupe432

Anything by Mick Karn with Japan and Gary Numan or on his own, plus all the work of Percy Jones with Brand X.

Pino Palladino with Paul Young on No Parlez and again with Gary Numan (who discovered him, by the way) on I, Assasin.

• Like 2

Everybody should have Tin Drum by Japan in their music collection.

Mick Karn was a God in my eyes...his work with Japan is legendary, however his solo albums ( I have three IIRC) didn't take his work to the next level IMO.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a God though....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors. 

Sublime playing from John Giblin throughout.

You took the words straight out of my mouth sir. It's a great album anyway but Giblin absolutely owns it.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Everybody should have Tin Drum by Japan in their music collection.

Mick Karn was a God in my eyes...his work with Japan is legendary, however his solo albums ( I have three IIRC) didn't take his work to the next level IMO.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a God though....

Being the age I am, Mick Karn will always be Mr Fretless to me. ‘Tin Drum’ is Japan’s masterpiece and Mick’s zenith in my opinion. 

Not a fretless album as such, but I love a lot of Sting’s fretless work with The Police, particularly ‘Message In A Bottle’.

Jaco Pastorius leaves me cold I’m sorry to say, but his playing on Joni Mitchell’s ‘The Hissing of Summer Lawns’ is sublime.

Pearl Jam, Ten. Revealed to me you can play rock with a fretless. So that decided what I got for my eighteenth birthday ( with me chipping in my entire savings!!). Still gigging that bass now...

Also Heijira, all of Jaco's work, and No Parlez.

No surprises here really:

Percy Jones on Eno / Another Green World

Mick Karn on Dalis Car - The Waking Hour 

Jaco on Joni Mitchell / Don Juan 

Not a pure fretless album, but Eberhart Weber's playing on Kate Bush / Rocket's Tail (Sensual World) is tremendous - and some of the best bass I've ever heard Dave Gilmour solo over. Pity about the 80s digital reverb though.

For me it's Mick Karn.  I was fortunate to see Japan several times before they really broke big and he was phenomenal, but let's not forget all of Japan were great players.

The first two albums are five star for me to this day, Quiet Life less so.  It was very much a case of diminishing returns as the band evolved and they fired Rob Dean.

To echo an earlier point, the solo albums were a tad lacklustre IMO; he needed to be part of a band for the real magic to surface.  I'd suggest sourcing copies of the JBK albums or the Polytown CD (with David Torn and Terry Bozzio).

• Like 1

Just for starters:

Pat Metheny Group, Pat Metheny (Mark Egan)

Shadows And Light, Joni Mitchell (Jaco Pastorius)

Rock Of Ages, The Band (Rick Danko)

Give It Up, Bonnie Raitt (Freebo)

Extra credit to Bill Wyman.

Edited by Passinwind

8 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Jaco isn't on Hissing of summer lawns, it's Max Bennet and Wilton Felder. Did you mean Hejira, or Don Juan's Reckless Daughter?

Thank you, I meant Hejira of course.

its been an emotional night...