Why become a member? ×

Favrite bass solo?

Jaime Tortosa

On 13/07/2018 at 09:49, mikel said:

This. It has the great distinction of being musical, as a good solo should be. Technical or difficult? Who cares, its music, you listen to it and either like it, or not.

Given the myriad of incorrect and poorly played versions on Youtube, there are clearly many who do find it both technical and difficult!

6 hours ago, NickD said:

Another 'not a fan' of bass solos. But if it's an integral part of a song I'm good with that. I see Manring's 'The Enormous Room' has already been posted, which is beautiful, so I'll go with this one... solo is from about 3.40, but it only works for me in the context of the whole tune.

That was nice. Enjoyed that one.

The Ox's menacing bass breaks in My Generation; Roger Glover's demented banshee howl in Fireball; and Lemmy's restarts in Overkill, have given me thrills and chills for over 30 years. But Cliff Burton's solo in Orion (also the intro) is for me, perfect.

Edited by Kevsy71
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Given the myriad of incorrect and poorly played versions on Youtube, there are clearly many who do find it both technical and difficult!

Well quite, but as I said "Who cares?" I love it so it hits the mark. Lots of technical and difficult solos out there but that is no measure of the musicality of what is being played.

Kindergarten - Faith No More, just works like a guitar solo but it’s Billy Gould on bass.

Please Do Not Go - Violent Femmes, in fact, that entire album made every guitarist I’ve ever played with life hell. I love how the bass is lead.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2018 at 20:38, gjones said:

Melodic and groovy too.

The look on her face when she starts that solo makes me think she must have seen me naked... :shok:  Lovely playing - especially with such tiny hands! :heart:

• Like 2

WHY from Uriah Heep. Bonus track on Demons & Wizards. 

Some debate about who actually played bass on this. It was recorded 71 before Gary Thain joined and therefore has to be either Paul Newton or Matt Clarke.

I've heard Paul play the live version and it was nothing like this version so i'm gonna go with Matt Clarke ex Colloseum II which would be a similar style of bass playing.

There are so many I could name as I think I change my mind every day about which one I love most. 

At the moment, I'm in love with Jeff Berlin's solo in 'Joe Frazier Round 3'. He weighs in with a sledgehammer of a tone; a huge overdriven, chorused sound and wails with a really wild, bluesy sort of spirit mixed with gorgeous note choice. If really lifts the song and changes the mood and direction of it. It almost feels like the answer to the blazing solo from Steve Vai. I almost see those two solos as two sides of the same coin; the thematic centre of the music. 

On 14/07/2018 at 15:04, Barking Spiders said:

I dislike 99.999r % solos on any instrument but occasionally one gets through the net. Basswise this is one of the very few that I like but then LJ is my fave player of all time Check out 2.40 to 3.13

Obviously not playing it live but what a fantastic tone he has and solo is excellent. Liking that wee bit o funk. Nice :D

On 15/07/2018 at 19:15, Grassie said:

Is this a bass solo? Maybe. You decide... 😊

Oooh that's nice. Good to hear Level 42 without all that mad pop and slap Mark King does. That was just a nice balance and very melodic.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2018 at 00:53, el borracho said:

In these situations I always recommend a bit of Stephen Amazing - starts just after 2:00 - and played with a plec!

Featuring my dear friend and band-mate Jimmy Copley on drums who sadly passed away last year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice thread and some great examples.

6 hours ago, Jaime Tortosa said:

This one is a classic. 

It sure is! And I like that you're having a go at these solos yourself (at least I assume that's you?).

Cliff Burton's Anesthesia was one of the reasons I took up bass guitar as a teenager. Here's my own favourite version of it... slightly different to the album version. Still gives me goosebumps. Cliff really was a beast on bass :) 

(NSFW with some swearing at the start).

Edited by Skol303

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oooh that's nice. Good to hear Level 42 without all that mad pop and slap Mark King does. That was just a nice balance and very melodic.

Yep. A lot of people (bassists included) think he's just a one trick slap pony, but his finger style playing is sublime. Check out their True Colours album - the tracks "Seven Days" and "A Floating Life", which boasts an immense groove in the middle section. 

I love his playing. 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IdrinkHeineken said:

I've just watched that video.

Thank you so much for having taken one of my suggestions and realised that. I like that video.

Cheers!

Yeah, I also have a cover of a Dave Ellefson solo. It's me. Thank you for your comment.

I'll be uploading more todo my channel.

• Like 1