Why become a member? ×

Favrite bass solo?

Jaime Tortosa

1 hour ago, visog said:

I presume you meant 'can't' but still you post that? Do you commentate on all your thoughts?

Go over to the 'favorite fretless albums' forum and post your fretted favourites...

Wow who whizzed on your chips sorry I spoke no need to be rude is there 

If anyone is interested I still have the Spotify playlist (in my signature) everyone can add their own fave songs to. It's seriously missing some great fretless bass and bass solos! Add away! :) 

If anyone is interested I still have the Spotify playlist (in my signature) everyone can add their own fave songs to. It's seriously missing some great fretless bass and bass solos! Add away! :) 

EDIT:

Oops, thats the link to the thread. Here's the Spotify Playlist for you all:

http://open.spotify.com/user/onlinedood/playlist/6UkfcLnRafb95u7EnciaAU

On 11/07/2018 at 16:46, Meddle said:

Glenn Cornick's solo on Bouree is great. Very tasteful, with some interesting chordal work. Glenn knew his stuff.

This. It has the great distinction of being musical, as a good solo should be. Technical or difficult? Who cares, its music, you listen to it and either like it, or not.

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Bootsy... solo starts at 5'45"...

Wow..! A first, for me; a real, live, 'Bootsy' solo..! Wow..! It's my fault, I suppose; I thought he was good, from all the spiel I'd read. Never mind, I'll know better next time (except there'll be no next time. Once is far more than enough...). ^_^

Ok not strictly a short solo in a song. But...Without doubt this from Victor is just an incredible solo/cover of Earth Wind and Fire's classic. . Obviously he's recorded 2 parts, the solo part using a filter of sorts.. The whole song is just musically fabulous bass playing from him.. The master at work Imo.. 

Edited by bubinga5

Gino Vannelli album title track Brother to Brother featuring Jimmy Haslip on bass. Love the bass tone and the technique is phenomenal on this one.

The musicianship throughout this particular album is 2nd to none. More recent bassist Sandin Wilson who also plays 6 string bass these days does a fantastic version of this song too.

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gino Vannelli album title track Brother to Brother featuring Jimmy Haslip on bass. Love the bass tone and the technique is phenomenal on this one.

The musicianship throughout this particular album is 2nd to none. More recent bassist Sandin Wilson who also plays 6 string bass these days does a fantastic version of this song too.

That whole album is great!!

• Like 1

Another 'not a fan' of bass solos. But if it's an integral part of a song I'm good with that. I see Manring's 'The Enormous Room' has already been posted, which is beautiful, so I'll go with this one... solo is from about 3.40, but it only works for me in the context of the whole tune.

If you have a search on You Tube there's some Living Colour footage from the Primer or Time Tunnel VHS tapes with an extended live version of Muzz Skillings noodling through Broken Hearts....it's not very long, perhaps 30-40 seconds, but it's a wonderful clip.  The studio version is great too.

Other than that, a nod in the direction of Norwood Fisher of Fishbone for his frankly mental breaks in Bonin' In The Boneyard.  Any of the versions are belting.