Why become a member? ×

... And we all fall down again

gs_triumph

35 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

After reading this, I think in retrospect I got incredibly lucky. I put an ad in Lemonrock 10 years ago this month. First reply was my guitarist, the second my drummer, we all got togeather a week later for a rehersal of 6 songs and we're still togeather after 10 years and probably 3-400 paid gigs. Is that unusual?

In my neck of the woods your story is definitely the exception.

There might be areas where "start ups" do well with booking gigs.

I joined an established band with a nice book of business 7 years ago. We're still together and have good gigs booked. Even for joining an established band, my case is the exception.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

45 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

I put an ad in Lemonrock 10 years ago this month. First reply was my guitarist, the second my drummer, we all got togeather a week later for a rehersal of 6 songs and we're still togeather after 10 years and probably 3-400 paid gigs. Is that unusual?

Yes. Yes, it is.

We had a somewhat different experience - we played together, off and on, for a year as a blues workshop at Band on the Wall in Mcr which ended with a friends and family gig at the BotW cafe. At the end of that gig we looked at each other and knew we couldn't let it end there. There was so much shared energy and potential, we just had to carry it on as A Real Band 🙂 Two people did drop out, one more joined, but by then we knew exactly how much commitment and ambition was shared. Played our first gigs outside Mcr last weekend, and we're all looking forward - realistically - to building on it. 

PMBB_IMG2.jpg.bc44c3f5a4db1bfb5736988439b88202.jpg

• Like 6

The band I am in was formed in 1979. I am the third bass player. The first one is now the lead guitarist. The second one left and was replaced by me. The others are all original. It's quite scary. They all know what each other is thinking after all that time!

Edited by thepurpleblob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, josie said:

We had a somewhat different experience - we played together, off and on, for a year as a blues workshop at Band on the Wall in Mcr which ended with a friends and family gig at the BotW cafe. At the end of that gig we looked at each other and knew we couldn't let it end there. There was so much shared energy and potential, we just had to carry it on as A Real Band 🙂 Two people did drop out, one more joined, but by then we knew exactly how much commitment and ambition was shared. Played our first gigs outside Mcr last weekend, and we're all looking forward - realistically - to building on it. 

PMBB_IMG2.jpg.bc44c3f5a4db1bfb5736988439b88202.jpg

Don't get discouraged, building business is not easy.

Blue

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

The band I am in was formed in 1979. I am the third bass player. The first one is now the lead guitarist. The second one left and was replaced by me. The others are all original. It's quite scary. They all know what each other is thinking after all that time!

How long have you been their bass player?

Have to say i think i would have found something else many moons ago under those circumstances. No need to fall out with others over bands where each have different ideas of what they want from the band. They all need to be upfront and honest and state clearly from the outset what they want out of it.

There are plenty of bands out there looking for committed bass players so get out and about and see what suits you. Its not easy meeting new bands with strangers but most are good people and just want what you want. Hopefully you'll find the right band with the right people and it will all fall into place.

I must be one of the few on here that quite enjoys the rehearsal stage. My absolute limit with any band is usually a year and if not gigging by then its a waste of time.

Many of the bands i've been in are guys with demanding jobs and some with young families and they have more urgent commitments.

If i'm enjoying the rehearsals with obvious and continued improvements at every rehearsal then i enjoy that and that's when i'll allow up to the year but i def have to be thoroughly enjoying the band and know that they will be great live and pull an audience.

I've done the band thing where i've learned full sets in 2-3 weeks. That's not an enjoyable experience for me especially if i've never played or even heard the songs before.

Typically and on average i would say 6mths is about right for me with any decent band that plays to perfection before gigging. I'm not happy playing songs i don't know inside out. I need to be at the point where  i'm relaxed and comfortable with the bass parts.

Current band i expect to take a year as we all had other projects on the go and have been slotting in rehearsals to suit everyone's schedules. I knew that upfront but its a type of band i always wanted to be in (Glam Rock) so i'm happy with that.

Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My absolute limit with any band is usually a year and if not gigging by then its a waste of time.

So interesting how we all have different needs, wants and requirements.

I couldn't afford to join a band that didn't have several months of weekly gigs booked. I'd even want to review the history of bookings from the past year.

I couldn't afford to join a band that didn't own and manage there own sound and lights.

It's always partially the fun and creative outlet but mostly commerce for me. I prefer it this way.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority where I depend on the money.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

16 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

So interesting how we all have different needs, wants and requirements.

I couldn't afford to join a band that didn't have several months of weekly gigs booked. I'd even want to review the history of booking from the past year.

I couldn't afford to join a band that didn't own and manage there own sound and lights.

It's always partially the fun and creative outlet but mostly commerce for me. I prefer it this way.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority where I depend on the money.

Blue

Think we've discussed this before Blue. We are in completely different scenarios. 

Also think there are many people on BC that the money plays an important part in being in a band.

As long as i'm having fun and enjoying what i'm doing i'm happy. That's my priority in any band however if the band doesn't eventually gig i get bored very quickly because there's no end game and when you having nothing to aim for there's no challenge in it for me and i move on to another band. Eventually i'll run out of bands :laugh1: but at the moment i get asked quite a lot. Currently doing bass on an EP recording for a band which came out of the Blue (see what i did there :D)

So at the moment i'm relatively happy. I would like the band to be moving a little quicker than it is but i agreed i would accept the various time delays from the outset.

Dave

• Like 1