Why become a member? ×

... And we all fall down again

gs_triumph

4 hours ago, gs_triumph said:

@bluewine with all due respect your situation is very different.

We are a bunch of mates who love music, own instruments, and love(d) each others company. 

Is not the same as someone who is looking for a gigging band to make a buck.  It's purely fun. 

I make enough money in my day job (if indeed that is actually possible 🤔😀

There no way music would make me enough money with my ability/mindset

With the same all due respect.

Sorry if I've given  the wrong impression, that's not my position or point. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I don't understand how a new band can't get gigs. Knock up five or six songs, record them in a basic way, and get round open mic, jam nights, charity festival things. You won't get paid for them but you build up a network and pretty soon other bands are asking you to do dates they can't, your band Facebook page is getting requests to do parties and things... I know it's a lot of effort and I'm making it sound easy but with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc gone are the days of walking round pubs handing cassettes to bar managers.

If people can't or won't create a Facebook page and fill out the odd application for open mic/ charity festival things then there is no hope.

Looking at it from the other side slightly, it’s always easy to see your own view as the one that makes sense and feel that your thoughts were the ones that everyone shares. It could be that the others in the band are happy with not gigging and thought this was the status quo. And as the band has not gigged in twenty years it’s probably reasonable to assume that all parties have gone along with this to at least some degree. The chances of getting a few people together who all have the same ideals and work ethic are pretty slim so any group of friends is likely to have different desires. It may be that the guitarist has terrible nerves and just can’t cope with gigging. Our band is four workmates, two of us would be happy gigging every week, the other two probably every couple of months. So we compromise and play roughly once a month. It works for all of us. There have been times when I have been frustrated but it has to work for everyone or it doesn’t work at all.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I don't understand how a new band can't get gigs. Knock up five or six songs, record them in a basic way, and get round open mic, jam nights, charity festival things. You won't get paid for them but you build up a network and pretty soon other bands are asking you to do dates they can't, your band Facebook page is getting requests to do parties and things... I know it's a lot of effort and I'm making it sound easy but with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc gone are the days of walking round pubs handing cassettes to bar managers.

If people can't or won't create a Facebook page and fill out the odd application for open mic/ charity festival things then there is no hope.

There are a myriad of reasons new bands can't get gigs.

It might be they live in an area where there aren't any places for a band to play. Or, all the methods you mentioned is too much work. You might have a band of great Musicians but not one of them has any business sense.

Sort of off topic, but I've also seen super talented pro like bands that should be playing  to 500 + crowds but instead their playing to 35 people in a bar. That's poor management.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Just beacause a band has gigs booked it doesn't mean it going anywhere. I got involved in a 10 piece soul band that has gigs booked and had been gigging before a few members had left.

First rehearsal, two out of the three horn players and the keys player didn't arrive. The main singer was good but the two female backing singers were beyond terrible. I decide to give it one more rehearsal. Next rehearsal, the guitarist has now left the band and arranged a dep(wtf) who also never turned up. Trombone guy arrives saying Sax and Trumpet have decided to jump ship.

I've checked the bands website and they are still listing some gigs in August, but they're still putting ads on JMB for members and describing themselves as a "gigging band".

My point is there are so many delusional people out there who like the idea of being in a band but have no idea how to actally put one together.

Edited by Buzzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

And as the band has not gigged in twenty years it’s probably reasonable to assume that all parties have gone along with this to at least some degree.

Agreed - but the OP does say that they had agreed that this time they would look for gigs. So its more about trust then action, I doubt anyone would have a problem if at the start of something it was agreed you wouldn't be gigging.

Two scenarios.

The first band I was in as a bass player was not very good, but I didn't mind as I was still getting my act together, basswise, and it seemed a good starting off point. They weren't good musicians, but the BL was great at getting gigs... we did all sorts of stuff (not always paid). I left after about six months... it was time to step up.

The next band were really talented, but we'd rehearse for about ten minutes at a time then they'd stop for a fag break. Our first gig was a birthday party for one of their friends (it was big do, I must admit)... but then nothing. I left.

It seems that talent is not proportional to ambition. I don't gig now, but I would never contemplate joining a band without a full set up and gigs already booked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I know it's a lot of effort and I'm making it sound easy but with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter etc gone are the days of walking round pubs handing cassettes to bar managers.

Your still going to need someone that can sell the band to a pub or bar owner.

It's really not about how good a band is as long as you can generate new customers andvnew alcohol sales. Convincing an owner that already has a stable of bands in rotation to add your band to the list will not be easy.

Blue

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Your still going to need someone that can sell the band to a pub or bar owner.

It's really not about how good a band is as long as you can generate new customers andvnew alcohol sales. Convincing an owner that already has a stable of bands in rotation to add your band to the list will not be easy.

Blue

True. But these days it is easier. In my youth I was handing out cassettes of "my band" but it was actually a pro recording of a previous incarnation of the band. Different bassist and most importantly a different and far superior singer. That cassette could have been any band, and most of those cassettes will never have been listened to. Now you can hold out your smartphone, click a link and have a good quality video showing your band, email or message that link to the bar. It's so much easier than it used to be, but someone still needs to get off their backside and do it.

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

True. But these days it is easier. In my youth I was handing out cassettes of "my band" but it was actually a pro recording of a previous incarnation of the band. Different bassist and most importantly a different and far superior singer. That cassette could have been any band, and most of those cassettes will never have been listened to. Now you can hold out your smartphone, click a link and have a good quality video showing your band, email or message that link to the bar. It's so much easier than it used to be, but someone still needs to get off their backside and do it.

That's a good point,however in my neck of the woods I can't think of an owner that's going to respond to an email, return a phone call or click on a link to hear a band. It's just not the way business is done here.

I love a start up band. Its a step into the unknown. I love the challenge of meeting new musicians and kicking ideas about till we decide on a genre of music to play. Working up the set list and practicing the songs at home till I can play them in the dark, cos we all want to be the one who can say "Nah mate, thats not right, its a G#M there". Being a real part of a band means being in it from inception to first gig. :D

Also, I would always rather be in a band that simply breaks even, but I love the music and enjoy the company of the other musicians, than an average band where I go through the motions but make money. To have both would be nice but not that important, I have a job that pays well and isnt too bad.

Edited by mikel
Additions.

2 hours ago, Buzzy said:

...there are so many delusional people out there who like the idea of being in a band but have no idea how to actally put one together.

Over the years I think I've met most of 'em. Why are those who would aspire to be 'musicians', so flaky? They seem to be the sort of people who believe in pixies, or proportional representation.

In my experience it's incredibly difficult to tick all the boxes required to get a band off the ground. The members have to get on with each other, have the similar musical tastes and levels of commitment, be as competent as required, have enough spare time, sympathetic partners or family, be able to supply decent levels of equipment, be able to travel around with their gear etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on. You then get into the realms of what compromises each is prepared to make and how fairly that can be resolved. It is a complete nightmare. I've even been in the situation where all of the boxes were perfectly ticked apart from the singer, who was a brilliant front man, being a serial substance and alcohol abuser with a gambling addiction too,who quickly sank the entire project.

4 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I've even been in the situation where all of the boxes were perfectly ticked apart from the singer, who was a brilliant front man, being a serial substance and alcohol abuser with a gambling addiction too,who quickly sank the entire project.

Been there. We had fantastic prospects and could easily have gone all the way, but when your career is dependent on an alcoholic staying off the booze, there is only one outcome.

To the OP, your attempts to start a band always fail. . . . you always use the same guys! There's your problem.

And you've been trying for 20 years??? You've got 19 years more patience the I have.

If you want to do things with your mates, play golf, go down the pub, have BBQ's but don't start a band. That's the easiest way to fall out with mates.

• Thanks 1

I don't grudge the time.  It was always a hobby, good time spent with mates and there were never any dreams of stardom... And never any strong will to go out and get gigs.  Clearly.   It was only this last attempt to get things going that there was an upfront intention to make a go of it

So not really twenty years wasted... Only the last two and a half 😂😁

17 hours ago, discreet said:

It was a start-up. And they seemed super-keen to get gigging. But it was a lie. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while, then walked. After making my opinion of them very clear.

Finding a band with a full diary is easier said than done. Even more difficult is finding a band with a full dairy. Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Alex James is obviously the exception to the rule...?

• Haha 1

People want different things.Gigs and money is only what some of us want. My question is, for those looking to gig on a weekly basis and make money, is a ,"start up"  the best vehicle to get there?

For those looking for a creative outlet and nothing else a "start up" could be perfect.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

After reading this, I think in retrospect I got incredibly lucky. I put an ad in Lemonrock 10 years ago this month. First reply was my guitarist, the second my drummer, we all got togeather a week later for a rehersal of 6 songs and we're still togeather after 10 years and probably 3-400 paid gigs. Is that unusual?

• Like 1

The first add I answered in JMB was the band I was with before this one that was a startup band - we went for a year and a bit, and did 40 gigs or so, so it doesn't seem that unusual, then when that fell apart I put another advert in and joined the band I am still with