Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1976 Greco Precision Bass

umcoo

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this is all finished!  

I didn't get many pics of the last bits of work, but what I did was...

• made a new wiring harness with CTS pots and the original cap,
  • cleaned up the bridge
  • sorted the pickups out and got rid of the tape and spliced wires
  • ordered a new tort pickguard
  • left all the screws in a bath of apple cider vinegar to clean them up
  • new knobs

Quick setup to get it playing better and strung up with Ernie Ball's, it's sounding great.  Nice to have a P Bass in the fold again.  I've recently ordered a Badass II and I'm going to get a black pickguard too, just to see what it's like.  Really enjoying this one and good fun to get it back into playing condition.  Cheers for all the help along the way.

hbqub2P.jpg

t85MDN9.jpg

CXvqQ7h.jpg

LVbOA5B.jpg

VfOoSTm.jpg

JgC2yyZ.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Looks brilliant. Plays?

Yeah, plays great! Need a bit more work on the setup but the pickup sounds great - nice and beefy but that just may be because I'm used to playing a jazz bass. Neck is quite slim for a precision too so not a baseball bat 😀

• 6 months later...

Bumping this as I've been working on this again... 

The pickguard in the first photos is the original white one, but was crudely spray painted black when I got it.  There were a few chips where I could see the white underneath, so over the last few weeks I decided to strip the black paint off and see what was underneath.

After a bath in some isoprophyl alcohol, a fair bit came off, but there were some stubborn areas.  Elbow grease and lacquer thinner made short work of the rest.  The tan lines of the thumb rest and the (now long gone) pickup cover could still be seen.  A quick clean got it almost good as new.  Some new wiring and knobs and she was almost back to original.  I put the non-original switches back in, just for kicks.  They're not wired up as I know I'd never use them, but they finish it nicely and I couldn't deal with holes in the pickguard!  She's back on the original bridge after a short time with a Badass II as well.  

Happy with how this turned out and good to keep it as original as possible.  Thanks all

6uHXwmK.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, umcoo said:

Bumping this as I've been working on this again... 

The pickguard in the first photos is the original white one, but was crudely spray painted black when I got it.  There were a few chips where I could see the white underneath, so over the last few weeks I decided to strip the black paint off and see what was underneath.

After a bath in some isoprophyl alcohol, a fair bit came off, but there were some stubborn areas.  Elbow grease and lacquer thinner made short work of the rest.  The tan lines of the thumb rest and the (now long gone) pickup cover could still be seen.  A quick clean got it almost good as new.  Some new wiring and knobs and she was almost back to original.  I put the non-original switches back in, just for kicks.  They're not wired up as I know I'd never use them, but they finish it nicely and I couldn't deal with holes in the pickguard!  She's back on the original bridge after a short time with a Badass II as well.  

Happy with how this turned out and good to keep it as original as possible.  Thanks all

6uHXwmK.jpg

That Orange head looks nice and lightweight 😉

• Haha 1