Why become a member? ×

Do the best pro-bass players mainly play 4 strings?

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah I`ve heard bands do Slither by Velvet Revolver/By The Way by Chillies and try and do the low notes an octave higher and it destroys the songs - although I`m a committed 4-string player I do accept that if I ever get to the point where I need those low notes then a fiver will be on its way to Chez Lozz, no playing an octave higher for me.

Good man...in fact when you have finally succumbed give me a shout and I should be able to let you have a decent 5er for a very decent price by then (I've got a mint Yamaha BB 425 that just needs a selector switch fitting, which I have now managed to source...). And the 425 has a P bass punch that knocks pretty much all the competition in the same price range (and plenty that cost a lot more) completely out of the park. Oh dear, I think I may just have talked myself out of parting with it...lol!

10 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh, now I see the point of this thread! It’s a sales pitch 🙄

Haha...yes but only to @Lozz196 who (together with BRX) is a standard bearer for intellectual punk rock and will know a quality "P"-bass when he plays one.

It will go up in the FS section in 12 months' time if I'm serious about moving it on.

6 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nah. If anything it’s convinced me that I’m right in mainly playing 4 strings :D

That's only 'cos a QSC 12.2 can't really handle a B string, not in the way a proper bass cab can (tell me, hand on heart it matches up to your VK210)? 😜

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow My 1200w Vanderkley 2x10 can handle a low B perfectly well - if I needed an on stage solution that was there for proper backline projection. 

I only use the QSC when it’s for my monitoring only and it’s output goes to full PA - believe me, I’ve yet to come across a PA with bass subs that couldn’t......

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

@Al Krow My 1200w Vanderkley 2x10 can handle a low B perfectly well - if I needed an on stage solution that was there for proper backline projection. 

I only use the QSC when it’s for my monitoring only and it’s output goes to full PA - believe me, I’ve yet to come across a PA with bass subs that couldn’t......

I appreciate that this is very much a side-track and, joking aside, I totally get that the VK 210 LNT can handle a low B (I have one too).

But am I correct that the the QSC 12.2 wouldn't match it in a head to head in terms of low end punch - a point I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on?

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

I appreciate that this is very much a side-track and, joking aside, I totally get that the VK 210 LNT can handle a low B (I have one too).

But am I correct that the the QSC 12.2 wouldn't match it in a head to head in terms of low end punch - a point I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on?

Dunno. Mine is a k10.2 :)

However, no - absolutely wouldn’t be the same. Like most speakers it’s about projection. The k10.2 will project a low B (and relative harmonics) to about 2 or 3 metres out - beyond that it’s woolly and faint. 

The 2x10 as you will know seems to get better the further away you are from it...

As a monitor the k10.2 is good enough for the intended purpose. And like most things, it’s a compromise. It’s light, small, agile and multi-purpose. It’s also not as good at reproducing a low B as a 2x10 - but that wouldn’t influence my choice between a 4 or a 5 string at all.. my choice there is based on my personal technique/mood/feel/playing context etc. 

If you go onto a guitar forum and ask whether a Les Paul or a strat is better the universal reply will be “at what?”

• Thanks 1

Very late to this thread and honestly not willing to read 7 pages of it to catch up... :)

So I'll just add that the "best pro-bass players" are surely capable of playing 4, 5 or possibly even 6 string instruments, depending on what's required of them.

And in some contexts (e.g pit players in stage productions) you'll raise eyebrows if you turn up with fewer than 5 strings on your bass.

I think we're searching for a "general rule" here where one doesn't exist.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I don't know BRX - I think Jim Lea was pretty handy on bass....and violin and piano. 

The bass players in Sweet, Mud, The Glitter Band and Suzi Q herself, along with those with Bowie, Elton John etc etc were pretty handy also. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The bass players in Sweet, Mud, The Glitter Band and Suzi Q herself, along with those with Bowie, Elton John etc etc were pretty handy also. 

That may well be but it's well documented that The Sweet didn't play on the A sides of any of their singles until they were fairly well established. I would have thought it was much the same with the other Chinnichap and Mickey Most acts.

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That may well be but it's well documented that The Sweet didn't play on the A sides of any of their singles until they were fairly well established. I would have thought it was much the same with the other Chinnichap and Mickey Most acts.

Next you’ll be telling us Milli Vanilli didn’t sing on their stuff 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich said:

And the only way anybody can categorically state that "the best bass lines on most albums released since the early 80s were synthesised or sampled and played by a sequencer", would be if they were present for every minute of the tracking, mixing and mastering of the recordings and knew exactly what had and what had not been used from the first guide tracks to the final production master.

I would also add to this that anyone who (you are responding to) has the time to post so much on Basschat probably hasn’t recorded in a very long time. Clearly just speculation...

Edited by HazBeen
  • Haha 2

I wasn't going to bother, because it seems like we're not allowed opinions about subjective issues unless they fit with the herd. I'm not saying 5 strings are bad, I'm saying I don't like playing them and 99% of the time they are ENTIRELY unnecessary FOR ME. When was the last time a punter came up to you and said "I'm so glad you used a 5 string. It frustrates the hell out of me every time I hear 'I Think We're Alone Now' played without the low notes"? 

I've been playing bass as a pro or semi pro for nearly 35 years, and I feel no guilt in saying I neither need nor want a 5 string.

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

True.

OK. So logically you would have to agree that your earlier categorical statement that "the best bass lines on most albums released since the early 80s were synthesised or sampled and played by a sequencer" should have read, "the best bass lines on most albums released since the early 80s may have been synthesised or sampled and played by a sequencer, although obviously we have no way of knowing".

1 hour ago, neilp said:

I wasn't going to bother, because it seems like we're not allowed opinions about subjective issues unless they fit with the herd. I'm not saying 5 strings are bad, I'm saying I don't like playing them and 99% of the time they are ENTIRELY unnecessary FOR ME. When was the last time a punter came up to you and said "I'm so glad you used a 5 string. It frustrates the hell out of me every time I hear 'I Think We're Alone Now' played without the low notes"? 

I've been playing bass as a pro or semi pro for nearly 35 years, and I feel no guilt in saying I neither need nor want a 5 string.

Different opinions are very welcome - no one has a monopoly of Truth. 

The fact that you've been playing bass as a pro or semi-pro for 35 years gets nothing but respect from an amateur like me.

Not wanting or needing a 5 string is entirely valid - you know better than anyone what works for you.

Saying that all 5 string basses lack punch and are difficult to amplify, is just plain wrong though, particularly from someone who has 35 years pro or semi pro experience! Have to say on that one, the "herd" have it very right when they say the opposite. Seriously - just pick up an used passive Yamaha BB 425 which costs all of £250 and play it through a decent rig and tell me it lacks punch! Dunno where you're based but if you're ever over in East London, please do pop in for a cuppa (or something stronger) and feel free to try out any of my 5ers through any of my rigs and see if you still feel the same.

On 15/07/2018 at 11:12, Cuzzie said:

@Al Krow that’s a Draper not a Phillips.

Phillips head always was and always be very specific shape

If we are picky then 'Draper' is a brand who do actually make 'Phillips' type bits or drivers much like any other tool maker , Stanley for instance 

And for a specific shapes of 'Phillips' you need to specify the size e.g. 1,2 or 3 

back on topic if you asked which was the most popular number of  'Philips' , I would confidently say 2 , though I would caveat that by suggesting that many would use a 2 when a 1 or a 3 might be the better choice , and even that is ignoring the fact that the screw head might even be a Pozi 1,2 or 3 in the first place and not a Philips at all 

life is so bloody complicated 😊

• Haha 1

Maybe a cross-head; not necessarily a Phillips (officially Phillips are ANSI Type I Cross Recess screws...). There are equally Frearsons, Pozidriv, SupaDriv, Phillips II, Phillips II Plus... One has to use the correct bit for each if one wishes to get satisfactory results without causing damage. Each has its use.