Why become a member? ×

Spray Painted Scratchplates...yes or no?

Golats

Has anybody ever spray-painted the scratchplate on their guitar. If so did it look good? Or horrendous?

I'm thinking of customising one of mine so the plan is to abrade the hell out of it (for adhesion) and then apply a spray paint, normally used for Warhammer figures.

Tips and recipes for success/disaster welcome.

Edited by gary mac

I painted the scratch plate on ‘51 style bass I was modifying. It was black and I wanted white. I couldn’t find a white one that wasn’t a stupid price so I spray painted it with aerosol craft paint. I roughed the scratchplate with 2000 grit paper and built up light coats. No issues whatsoever. I doubt it would stand up to much abuse before scratching through, but it’s been ok so far.

66FCEF9F-CD5A-4A34-A74A-F39FCC81A8DC.jpeg

0837C2C1-4430-402E-B377-AD0721406068.jpeg

24D419D8-5B8B-4A40-BF27-039FEF1800FF.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bartelby said:

The can says gloss, but the scratch plate turned out satin. 

You really need to put a clear lacquer coat over the colour coat and then polish it back to get the shine and the strength in the finish, the colour coat alone is not very durable it is the clear lacquer that gives the strength

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golats said:

Great idea @kodiakblair. How do you manage to get in on so smoothly? I thought air bubbles would be a problem?

I was thinking the same.  I bought fablon to cover a camping table and it was a nightmare, and gave up. Perhaps its a lot easier on a small surface

I used to work for a company that did vinyl signage. They used to spray with a very weak solution of detergent i.e. washing up liquid, then squeegee it once in place. A soft cloth would do the same. Start from one side, holding the vinyl up slightly as you apply it. If there are any bubbles you can prick it with a pin then use a cloth to smooth it down

• Like 2