Why become a member? ×

Great music that isn't about the bass

Don't get me wrong, I love the bass (otherwise I wouldn't be here), but I've always thought that it's important to one's development as a musician to listen to music played on instruments one wouldn't normally think about.

This thread is for people to post music that highlights other instruments. Can be any genre and feature any instrument, but it should be something that doesn't feature bass guitar as a prominent element in the sound.

Here's my opening offer:

There are loads, I love classical music for instance, and anything by Brian Eno or Harold Budd. Most of what I listen to is sound based, rather than instrument.

This piece is very inspirational in my work at the moment: 

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've seen the Kodo Drummers. A total assault on your senses.

Yep they're great. Seen em three times including once at the Albert Hall many moons ago . Unforgettable. Even more excellent aare Yamato, a smaller group but they have more audience interaction and humour. 

A Cuica is a Brazilian drum with a rosined stick attached the middle of the underside of the head . By pulling the stick through the fingers of one hand whilst varying pressure on the head with the other , it can be made to talk . 

I don’t listen to music for the bass, I listen for the song. I’ve always been a song guy. A listenable bass line is a bonus. Most of my favourite albums don’t feature prominent bass; one of them, Pink Moon by Nick Drake doesn’t have any.

Most of the music I love and would go back too again and again is not about the bass. Its always about the overall sound and the quality of the song for me, I am also a sucker for a good harmony, but melody and interest make the music. I love both the bass and the drums but I prefer them both as accompaniment instruments.