Why become a member? ×

When is a 58 not a 58, or a 414 not a 414

Owen

Good morning all.

The college I work in needs some new microphones for basic live vocal work. Obviously I could go for the good old SM58 but I am more than aware that there are better options. However, the option I am looking for is what is fine and dandy and much cheaper. There is no point in spending serious coin on micrphones because they will be abused constantly and/or be nicked. Am I happy about that? No. Am I being realistic? Yes.

We also could do with a pair of 414 mics for overhead work - but the same circumstances apply to their use. Any ideas what woud work nicely but not make me cry when they are droppped?

TIA.

The Behringer version of the SM58 really is amazing for the money. You can get a pack of three in a case for around £30, honestly give an SM58 a run for its money sound wise. I've had mine for years, backing vocals, and they've been brilliant. 

• Like 1

I know things have moved on somewhat since the 70s but back then one of the main selling points for the Shure SM58 was that it would take a much higher level of abuse without breaking compared to its competition. IME the cheap alternatives are fine if it is your personal microphone and you are going to look after it, otherwise it is likely to last a fraction of the time a proper SM58 will. Of course that doesn't help you if it gets stolen. 

If you are able to minimise the chances of the good microphone getting nicked, then in the long run they will be a better bet financially. Otherwise buy the cheapest decent sounding mics you can find and allow for the fact that you are going to have to replace them regularly.

Our singer got fed up with his mic - a well used EV- breaking and being sent off for repairs. We grabbed a couple of PRODIPE TT-1 and they are working out very well. First saw them favourably reviewed by SOS magazine. Have seen a 3pack for under €80. We have not given them the SM58 hammer test and don’t intend to but they sound and look great. Have used the Behringer 8500 too and it does a reasonable job as does it’s cheaper sibling the 1800. 

When longevity and sturdiness enter the equation, then Shure and Sennheiser are the gold standard but to be fair to the PRODIPE or other ‘cheapies’, haven’t had any long enough to comment. It’s great to have some cheaper, good sounding options though!

19 hours ago, Tubster said:

Our singer got fed up with his mic - a well used EV- breaking and being sent off for repairs. We grabbed a couple of PRODIPE TT-1 and they are working out very well. First saw them favourably reviewed by SOS magazine. Have seen a 3pack for under €80. We have not given them the SM58 hammer test and don’t intend to but they sound and look great. Have used the Behringer 8500 too and it does a reasonable job as does it’s cheaper sibling the 1800. 

When longevity and sturdiness enter the equation, then Shure and Sennheiser are the gold standard but to be fair to the PRODIPE or other ‘cheapies’, haven’t had any long enough to comment. It’s great to have some cheaper, good sounding options though!

I bought a 3 pack of Prodipe TT1 Pros for £67 on Amazon and they're brilliant. I first got wind of them on PSW where all of the soundguys were raving about them. Brilliant choices.

• Like 1

Behringer XM 8500 for me. I always use one for live vocals in preference to the 58 I keep as a spare. Often also used one in a kick drum. Robust, to my ears, a crisper sound with more pronounced hi mid and better feedback rejection than a 58