Why become a member? ×

In-Ear Monitors

chrisd783

Hi guys

My covers band have recently decided to go totally ampless and put everything through the PA. Our set up is pretty simple, two tops and two bins run through a Behringer x16 Air. Going ampless has given us a much cleaner on-stage sound, far easier to control. I use an XLR out of my Sansamp that sits on the end of my chain, this gives me control over my own EQ etc. 

We play pink noise through the speakers at each venue and set the graphic EQ using the app depending on the acoustics of the room. This allows us to sound as close to the same across different venues as you can get.

I'd never used IEMs before so I was a little dubious. The guitarist in our band has a lot of knowledge in this area so he advised me on which ones to buy etc. I also treated myself to a LD Systems wireless kit for them as well.

I was totally blown away by how effective they are. I've recently started doing backing vocals and have always been a little nervous over the mic, largely due to being unable to hear myself through the mix. But with the IEMs I was amazed at how much my confidence increased, the clarity they bring is unbelievable. The X16 allows each of us to control our own IEM mix through our mobile phone independently, it's a  really clever bit of kit.

I guess the reason I'm writing this post is mainly to help sway anyone who has been thinking of going down the IEM route but have been unsure to go for it, I thoroughly recommend it! Was also wondering what other people's thoughts are regarding IEMs? 

I made the switch in my main covers band about 2 years ago, mainly due to complaints from other band members about general on stage volume.

I agree Chris, it's a total revelation when you get your mix right.

We also use a Behringer X mixer, but ours is the X-18.  I agree totally on that too, it's a fabulous bit of kit for not a massive amount of money.

• Like 1

A word of caution. The are great if you have someone controlling the FOH sound. If a member of the band in responsible for FOH sound they need too hear the sound in the room otherwise you end up with a perfect IEM mix but the sound the audience hears may well be pants!!

6 hours ago, Blink said:

A word of caution. The are great if you have someone controlling the FOH sound. If a member of the band in responsible for FOH sound they need too hear the sound in the room otherwise you end up with a perfect IEM mix but the sound the audience hears may well be pants!!

As long as a proper sound check is done then shouldn't be an issue. With digital mixers you can save everything and recall it at a gig. I do FOH for all our gigs and my in ear mix barely changes from venue to venue. Once the soundcheck is done I can usually tweak my in ears mix after the first song and then I'm set.

There's a massive thread about this already in the Accessories & Misc forum btw.