Why become a member? ×

read the small print!!

Guest aDx

Had this in reply to ad we put out for guitarist

Hi Adrian,

I read your ad in Join My Band. My name is Paul. I play guitar and write songs. I’m in my 40s. I'm looking for other musicians to form an original Alt Rock band with.

I read in one of your previous posts that your are not looking at a “lets’s make it big band” and that touring would not be a long-term goal. Is that still the case, as myself, I am looking at making it big with a view to touring? I am wanting to join forces with people who definitely want to make it big and pursue this as a long-term career.

May I ask what age range your current lineup spans and what age range you are looking at for a guitarist and songwriter.

I am based in Hitchin, Herts.

Kind Regards

Now is it me or is this person not really understanding the 'not looking at a “lets’s make it big band” and that touring would not be a long-term goal'

Good grief!  

Call me age-ist but I don't think you are going to make it big in alt-rock in your forties. I'm mid 30's and I wouldn't be able to put up with the lack of sleep from touring. 

It just seems like one of those ads from a complete dreamer who doesn't understand what they're saying. Wouldn't be surprised if he's never taken his guitar out of his bedroom.

• Like 4

I say bat the ball back into his court. Ask him if he's sure he wants to play guitar, maybe he'd like to play the ocarina instead. Ask him if he's sure he's in his 40s, maybe he's actually 27. Also I'd pull him up on his assertion that he's in Hitchin, because it's possible that he's actually from Croatia.

S.P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds to me like someone who is desperate to join an Alt-Rock band, but has not seen many such ads, so is pushing you to see if you'll bend to his way of thinking.

I can't imagine there are hundreds of Alt-Rock bands in his area waiting for a guitarist to climb on the tour bus?

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Call me age-ist but I don't think you are going to make it big in alt-rock in your forties. I'm mid 30's and I wouldn't be able to put up with the lack of sleep from touring. 

It is tough, we do mini-tours, 5 days or so and the amount of travelling and lack of sleep - even with employing a driver and booking individual hotel rooms - is hard. We were offered a 10 day "living on a bus" tour but had to admit that in late 40s/early 50s we just can`t do that sort of thing anymore. Shame, would have been a great opportunity but we`re sadly past all that now.

Back on track, I think the guy is just clarifying that the position stated is still the case, so he doesn`t waste both parties time.

5 hours ago, aDx said:

Had this in reply to ad we put out for guitarist

Hi Adrian,

I read your ad in Join My Band. My name is Paul. I play guitar and write songs. I’m in my 40s. I'm looking for other musicians to form an original Alt Rock band with.

I read in one of your previous posts that your are not looking at a “lets’s make it big band” and that touring would not be a long-term goal. Is that still the case, as myself, I am looking at making it big with a view to touring? I am wanting to join forces with people who definitely want to make it big and pursue this as a long-term career.

May I ask what age range your current lineup spans and what age range you are looking at for a guitarist and songwriter.

I am based in Hitchin, Herts.

Kind Regards

Now is it me or is this person not really understanding the 'not looking at a “lets’s make it big band” and that touring would not be a long-term goal'

Good grief!  

3 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I say bat the ball back into his court. Ask him if he's sure he wants to play guitar, maybe he'd like to play the ocarina instead. Ask him if he's sure he's in his 40s, maybe he's actually 27. Also I'd pull him up on his assertion that he's in Hitchin, because it's possible that he's actually from Croatia.

S.P.

Today's favourite post award goes to!

• Thanks 1

I was fed up with a once a week concert while in the 40's, now that I'm in the ealy 50's, once in while is enough. We did some 3 concerts in 3 days a few times and even play 5 hours in a row a lot of times, but now I would certainly say no, erm... maybe.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It is tough, we do mini-tours, 5 days or so and the amount of travelling and lack of sleep - even with employing a driver and booking individual hotel rooms - is hard. We were offered a 10 day "living on a bus" tour but had to admit that in late 40s/early 50s we just can`t do that sort of thing anymore. Shame, would have been a great opportunity but we`re sadly past all that now.

Back on track, I think the guy is just clarifying that the position stated is still the case, so he doesn`t waste both parties time.

We're in our 50s and managed a 9 date tour of the west coast of USA albeit in our own hotel rooms

Edited by Twigman

I would get him in for an audition, I would sooner have someone who wants to push the boat out over someone who wants to play down the Dog and Duck once a month in front of 10 mates for a bit of beer money?

He may well be 20 years too late to "make it" in the music industry (whatever that is these days) but that should not stop him dreaming, hopefully with that will come a willingness to graft, a desire to create the best music he can.

We have had more record company interest in Yodaclub than in any other bands I have played in, I am going to be 52 this year with the rest of the band turning 50 during the year.

Reach for the stars, if you don't make it you might have to settle for the moon!

10 hours ago, madshadows said:

A bit pointless him replying to your ad, he wants to do the opposite of what you want to do !! ;) 

John

And that my fellow BC`ers is true of about 90 % of people who apply for online band members wanted adverts! 😎

20 hours ago, tonyquipment said:

If you haven’t made it by your 20s then likely it will never happen. The music industry is so saturated that even if you do make it. It will only be for 15 minutes. 

Leaving aside the fact that there was never much "it" to be made, and even less nowadays, this is the same lame excuse trotted out by musicians who never had anything interesting to say in the first place.