Why become a member? ×

Footie songs; the acceptable, the bland and the extremely irritating

Three Lions is a great song, great catchy chorus, but always puzzled me as it says 30 years of hurt and Jules Rimet, yet it was the European Tournament it was put out for, where both reference points were for the World Cup. Never liked Vindaloo - well as a song that is, love the curry. World in Motion was good but just didn`t seem like an anthemic football song.

Think we need a reform tour of Hoddle & Waddle...................

Wales, Wales

Bloody great fish are Whales

...To the tune of Land of my Fathers - probably the best anthem in the world evaaah and I speak as an English person.  Every time I hear it at the rugby in Cardiff it absolutely sends a shiver down my spine.

• Like 1

Showing my age here, but as Vindaloo has already been mentioned, let's cringe along to:

White Hart Lane is the ground
For the best team around
And to see them just fills you with wonder
So we'll sing them along
With a Spurs football song
Tottenham Hotspur, 
The pride of North London

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril
Let's have another one

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

World in Motion was good but just didn`t seem like an anthemic football song.

But it does have the "We're playing for England (In-ger-land)" chant at the end, and of course the sad audible experience a badly written white boy rap

They'll always hit you and hurt you, Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them, Get round the back

Not exactly Gangsta.

Ah-one two three, and...
We're on the march wi' Ally's army, we're goin tae the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up when we win the world cup, 'cos Scotland are the greatest football team.

Oh dear.

Was listening to an interview with David Baddiel the other day and as he quite rightly says the reason 3 lions is so popular is because it's written from a negative point of view which us English connect with, as we love a good moan. Other footie songs tend to be more up beat.

Ant and Decs 'On the ball' has to be one of the worst!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I've always thought the Italian national anthem was a good one. 

Agreed, I’m not a football fan, motor racing is my thing and it’s always a pleasure to hear the Italian anthem played when Ferrari win.

Edited by BrunoBass

8 minutes ago, alyctes said:

I don't like any of them.

Then you've not heard 'Go For It - Sky Blues Shooting to Win', the Coventry City squad song for the 1987 Cup Final.

Simple in its message, with a positive narrative, urging the underdog to "go for it". Hugely helpful, it chose to include a helpful (and none too subtle) assumption/assertion that, when the Sky Blues were shooting, they were actually doing it to win.

And win we did.

Was it down to a team of few stars playing above themselves against a team of genuine superstars (Waddle, Hoddle, Ardiles et al) in what is arguably the greatest Cup Final of the modern era or was it down to the song?

I know what I think... 

48 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I've always thought the Italian national anthem was a good one. 

21 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Agreed, I’m not a football fan, motor racing is my thing and it’s always a pleasure to hear the Italian anthem played when Ferrari win.

LOL! You missed all the controversy years ago, with the media insisting the country should ditch it (I have to agree, it's absolute crap) and replace it with the Va' Pensiero aria (which would be WAAY better, although possibly a bit challenging for ordinary, tone-deaf people to sing properly...?). 😮

Not sure why it all went quiet, though. They don't need to sing one at this particular WC, anyway.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

19 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

No love for....

Ossie's going to Wembley
His knees have gone all trembley
Come on you Spurs

......then 😊

I read an interview with Chas ( or possibly Dave) a while back.

Apparently they have another song ready to go should Spurs ever reach another FA Cup final.

I believe that would be their 5th Spurs inspired song?

Nothing wrong with Three Lions.  It's lifting.  I like Blue Day by Suggs too, but being a Chelsea supporter I have some bias.

The turgid songs?  Quite possibly where actual footballers are singing on them; those uncomfortable videos of the squad standing in a studio miming and holding their headphones a large ABBA.

Just one other thing here, a couple of nights ago the BBC showed some footage of the (West?) German team singing Three Lions from a balcony after they'd won the World Cup.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just one other thing here, a couple of nights ago the BBC showed some footage of the (West?) German team singing Three Lions from a balcony after they'd won the World Cup.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yes, Three Lions was a chart hit in Germany, as too was World In Motion, bizarrely.

On 10/07/2018 at 22:44, Old Man Riva said:

Then you've not heard 'Go For It - Sky Blues Shooting to Win', the Coventry City squad song for the 1987 Cup Final.

Simple in its message, with a positive narrative, urging the underdog to "go for it". Hugely helpful, it chose to include a helpful (and none too subtle) assumption/assertion that, when the Sky Blues were shooting, they were actually doing it to win.

And win we did.

Was it down to a team of few stars playing above themselves against a team of genuine superstars (Waddle, Hoddle, Ardiles et al) in what is arguably the greatest Cup Final of the modern era or was it down to the song?

I know what I think... 

When we sing together...