Why become a member? ×

NBD---meet "Marilyn"

I blame BC for this!After attending the BC double bass bash in April I developed a serious case of GAS and this is the result."Marilyn" is blonde, curvy and has a sweet voice and I couldn't resist her.

She is an Engelhardt Swingmaster ES 9 that was purchased from Gollihur 10 years ago and has sat virtually unused since then and is in absolutely mint condition.To make it even better, she came with all the paperwork for her and a K&K Double Big Twin pickup,K&K Pure preamp, an Ingles stand,German bow, three types of rosin, quiver,mute and several books including an untouched Simandl.She was dressed in a lovely green like new Gollihur bag.I also got the original almost new Thomastiks that the bass started life with, she is currently strung with Correlli 370 F strings.The original owner has been playing pedal steel in country bands and just wanted to get rid of the bass because he wasn't using it.

I am still tweaking the preamp and my amp to get the sound I want(I play jazz standards in two bands) but it is certainly fun and I am also enjoying trying out my woeful bow technique.

She came home with me yesterday after a 13 hour 994 km road trip to pick her up.It was a long day but in Canada drives like this are a fact of life.

I'm still not sure why I did this at my age(72) but I plan to have fun with her.I have a gig tomorrow night but I will use my trusty Yamaha SLB 200 EUB and save "Marilyn" for another day.

Thanks again for that great day in April,it was just what I needed to make me pull the trigger and join the "real" DB world.

SAM_3491.thumb.jpg.7129926331d755c946a5aef49f16022b.jpgSAM_3497.thumb.jpg.43aa751c3678f4fd95e4f708e1a63fbf.jpg

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Sha looks gorgeous, well done. To judge from the photo, she's already in the woodshed..! :D

I wondered if anyone would pick up(oops, sorry about that) the wood shedding image and I'm not surprised that you got it first. 

• Haha 1

I too blame BC for many many things! Especially moments of similar madness / cashflow in the "wrong" direction ;)
But hey, Marylin is absolutely lovely, and I'm sure will bring you many hours of happiness

As Happy Jack says above - "what's age got to do with it?"
And he's absolutely bang on correct, of course. (EDIT: Yes Mrs Happy Jack - it does happen! lol)
In fact, the younger me could not possibly have afforded half of the gear I now own

Happy NBD to you Mr Staggering on - enjoy :)

Edited by Marc S
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, geoffbassist said:

What a beauty! 👍

Thanks Geoff,your lessons and videos were a big help when I got my EUB and now I'm reviewing some of them as I work on proper techniques for the DB...and having lots of fun too!

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 2