Why become a member? ×

iPad score apps and page turning etc

fretmeister

I have no idea where to put this.

I have an iPad. I have tons of pdfs of music. I'd like to be able to use my ipad and flip pages. I understand there are blutooth options for pedals.

Can anyone recommend both an app and a pedal rig (ideally with forward and back options?)

And do any of them deal with repeats and Codas etc?

ta

I’d love to use an iPad, I know lots who do. I have this fear of it either stopping working or falling off and breaking. If my printed paper pad falls off the worst than will happen is I lose my page 😁.

Most just swipe with their finger.

I've heard lots of good things about ForScore - which is specifically designed for manuscript scores. I use OnSong for chord sheets which is also very good but, I suspect, less relevant for your requirements.

For OnSong I use an AirTurn pedal which links to the iPad by BluTooth.  I used the Duo: 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/airturn_bt_105_digit_2x_atfs_2.htm 

...but they also do the slightly cheaper PED Pro:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/airturn_ped_pro.htm?sid=587109a3cebeb70a2a777884e05bae64 

I find using the pedal to navigate around through the sheets mid song to be very useful.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

And do any of them deal with repeats and Codas etc?

Wouldn't that involve a scrolling score?  Like the Presonus Notion App (or similar) for iPad? Which is a dedicated score App.

Just curious really.

Edited by lowdown

On 09/07/2018 at 16:43, ambient said:

I’d love to use an iPad, I know lots who do. I have this fear of it either stopping working or falling off and breaking. If my printed paper pad falls off the worst than will happen is I lose my page 😁

I use an iPad during rehearsals and have a specific clamp for it so no fear of it falling.

Sorry to bring the tone of your topic down Fretmeister but I have to ask;  Is PreSonus the only one that does TAB?

PreSonus.png.41edc456d41728e546c26a035d764f27.png

I appreciate it is a feature that isn't a really required by composers and arrangers but having it increases access to written music.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Sorry to bring the tone of your topic down Fretmeister but I have to ask;  Is PreSonus the only one that does TAB?...

Apologies for butting in, but Guitar Pro have a tab-reading application for iOS or Android. Might be worth a look..?
Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I used an air turn device.  How soon do you need one, because I could be persuaded to part with mine.  I use Scorch mainly, but that’s because I write all my stuff in Sibelius.  I used another app for pdfs, but cannot for the life of me remember what it was.  I don’t know of any app that will automatically allow you to follow DCs, repeats etc.  Im afraid that you may have to just scroll back and forth for that.  That’s li,e you have a few options for apps anyway,

Rob

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Apologies for butting in, but Guitar Pro have a tab-reading application for iOS or Android. Might be worth a look..?
Hope this helps.

Thanks for reminding me.

I have that on an iPad belonging to my house mate.  I found it a little clunky to use but the touch screen was the main problem.  I seem not to be able to get them to work reliably.  Putting a footswitch on it and updating it might prove interesting as I haven't used it for about two years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Sorry to bring the tone of your topic down Fretmeister but I have to ask;  Is PreSonus the only one that does TAB?

PreSonus.png.41edc456d41728e546c26a035d764f27.png

I appreciate it is a feature that isn't a really required by composers and arrangers but having it increases access to written music.

Most of the engraving/notation Apps have TAB - Sibelius, Finale, Dorico, Notion 6, Overture 5 (Even their cut down or free versions).

There is also the totally free Musescore. This has TAB as well ( unfortunately, no iOS or Android versions).

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/tablature

Although there are the 'viewer versions'. You can use this/these apps for downloading and viewing the free (user download) scores from Musescore.

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/musescore-songbook-sheet-music/id835731296?mt=8

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.musescore.playerlite

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1