Why become a member? ×

Vocalist offered an audition for 'The Voice'?

MacDaddy

So has anyone else's vocalist had an email from 'The Voice' asking if they would like to attend the auditions? It was a generic email sent to his personal address, which is linked to the band Facebook page, so I'm assuming there's been a job lot sent out?

Since when did these telly talent shows have to ask people to audition? Are they not getting the numbers anymore, or is this the way 'The Voice' has always worked?

A tribute band I was in was approached to be in one of these sort of shows a few years ago.  Given the panel on the TV show, we didn't expect a good outcome (if we'd even got that far) and politely declined.  I was surprised to be approached at the time, but I suspect it goes on quite a lot.

They get plenty of applicants but they also want enough numbers of particular types of act so that's when the emails go out. I read somewhere that shows like the X-Factor often get tons of individual singers but less groups etc, so they search for more groups to go on the show.

They also target up and comings - Jon Gomm was invited to X-Factor 2 or 3 times until they got the message he wasn't interested.

I have heard this quite a bit, these shows and their researchers etc will go and search YouTube and social networks to find people who have a certain level of ability so they know there will be some talent on there. The Voice seems to do this to a higher degree from what I have gathered from some videos and articles.

I don't know about The Voice, but Britain's Got Talent has been inviting professional cabaret acts from Britain ,Europe and beyond to apply for years. I think the better ones are approached with a near guarantee of a televised 'audition'.

They don't advertise it to their audience when they introduce such acts, but I don't think it's a secret either.

Edited by Cato

30 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Check the small print - our singer was considering doing an audition for X-Factor, until it came out that a condition of signing up for the audition was to provide a percentage of all your earnings from music to Simon Cowell.

That`s a bit sneaky, but then I suppose it`s also business and why Simon Cowell is rich & successful.

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Check the small print - our singer was considering doing an audition for X-Factor, until it came out that a condition of signing up for the audition was to provide a percentage of all your earnings from music to Simon Cowell.

+1 and that's a percentage of every thing you earn from music, even earnings unconnected to the program ie if you write or have written songs etc.

These contracts are every bit a strangle hold as those of Alan Klein, Don Arden, Tony Defries, Bert Berns and Norman Petty etc etc

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

He was just a member of the old Musicradar forum. Then Stephen Fry shared a video of him on Twitter...

and now he's got a career.

To be fair, he did have an career before, in that he was full time touring - the Stephen Fry thing just helped a lot.

I would have thought that in most of these they want some actual experienced talent rather than just kids who'll pee themselves when given an actual microphone, audience and backing band. It is difficult to sing live just to get cues right etc. So I bet they do loads of scouting. The Voice seems to position itself as less of a "laugh at the mentally ill person who thinks they're good" and more a second-chance saloon for veteran performers to get on telly and show what they can do, IMO having only dipped in and out of  each. I have no idea if anyone off the Voice ever made anything out of it though?

Last but one band i was in had a singer that appeared on X-factor, and he sang with us for a year, but although he had a great voice (  had to adapt to rock tracks as he was a crooner - sammy davis,  etc ) but he was a mini nightmare. Overbearing wife,  flaky attitude, lettin us down etc.  We folded the band after him and we all moved on

Yes, actually. In 2015 before I joined my current band I was doing a lot of solo acoustic singer-songwriter stuff and I received an email. I was initiallly flattted, then confused as I’m not a singer in The Voice sense. I turned it down, it’s not my thing and I didn’t want to pursue it.

Two of my friends received the same email the same week. One of them, an independent solo artist with three albums to his name and a career that generates enough money to pay the bills turned it down. He’s also been approached for X-Factor, which he also turned down. The second one, a gigging solo artist went for it, auditioned and got through to the final rounds before it gets televised. He’s an incredible singer and that kind of show is right up his street. Unfortunately due to crippling nerves he needs a drink or two before he performs, and that being the case the producers let him go. No alcohol allowed apparently. 

On 09/07/2018 at 07:53, pete.young said:

Kelly Clarkson American Idol first place winner on the first season of Idol finally got out of her contract a year ago.

She has no regrets and owes her career to American Idol.

It's not a great deal but probably better than playing pubs for $250.00. And for those not into money I guess it doesn't matter.

I'd gladly give Simon his cut.

Blue

Also remember it's exactly what it is - A TV show.

The production companies couldn't care less about the contestants - It's all about the viewing figures and money.

I like the analogy that the contestants are like logs being thrown into the furnace to be burnt out powering up the machine for another series and their career is dust as a result! 

20 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Kelly Clarkson American Idol first place winner on the first season of Idol finally got out of her contract a year ago.

She has no regrets and owes her career to American Idol.

It's not a great deal but probably better than playing pubs for $250.00. And for those not into money I guess it doesn't matter.

I'd gladly give Simon his cut.

Blue

It's worked out for Kelly.

But this was just to attend the audition. Even if you didn't pass the audition, didn't get near the show, you were still committed to paying Simon his cut. 10% of all those $250 pub gigs adds up.