Why become a member? ×

1975 Gibson EB0 price?

basskit_case

5 hours ago, Meddle said:

It looks pretty clean! No extra pickup hacked in, and no headstock break. The tuner alignment is solid Norlin-era Gibson. I think £1100 is a good price. With Reverb especially, sellers seem to pull prices out of thin air at the moment. It feels almost like a last gasp bid to maximise profit on any old gear in any condition. This EB-0 looks to be a good deal, because even mid-‘70s Norlin Gibsons are getting up there in price at the moment.

Thanks for the information Meddle much appreciated

• 1 year later...

I ended up buying this bass and currently have it listed For sale on the forum.

this was listed on reverb as being original, but I have received a message saying the string retainer Just below is not a Gibson part.

i hadn’t noticed the retainer when I got it and it has spent most time in its case.

anybody recognise this as a Gibson original addition?

6556BF5A-0499-49AB-B3F6-FB112780B34E.thumb.jpeg.241b39a45076ab49a207e9155edc7397.jpeg

Almost certainly your bass is fitted with a Gibson three-point bridge, @basskit_case.  I think these came in around the early 70's, replacing the original 60's bridges that @yorks5stringer refers to:

sauLTYUl.jpg

You should be able to confirm this by looking for a centre screw if you look from the other side of the palm-guard, @basskit_case 

But the retainer at the back is a retro-fit. 

To fit some form of string retainer and extender was/is pretty much essential as there isn't enough space between the Gibson designed ball claws and saddles for the string binding on pretty much any normal bass strings.  On this count, the bridge is, IMHO, one of the worst-designed bridges around.  BUT - I'm pretty sure that is what they were fitting as standard in the 70's (and still do on Epiphones IIRC).  This is another 1975 example here:

0s0gvull.jpg

The alternative retro-fit accessory to solve this problem was an extender bar like this which has the advantage of not needing any fixing holes in the body but I'm not sure when these were developed:

5l55Wbll.jpg

So - back to your question.  My personal view is:

- unless the original seller stated specifically that it was original, standard and completely un-modded, then I don't think there is anything to gain by going back to the original seller.  It is an original 1975 EB-0, as opposed to a fake or a re-issue.  And, yes, it's had an accessory retro-fitted - but that basically makes the bridge work.

- it's worth, though, putting in any sales ad, that it has, at some stage in its life, had the accessory retro-fitted (and maybe the palm guard too?  Were those standard?) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

The alternative retro-fit accessory to solve this problem was an extender bar like this which has the advantage of not needing any fixing holes in the body but I'm not sure when these were developed:

Well, Google is your friend.  Apparently the non-intrusive fix is a recent innovation.  The above pic is apparently attached on Ebay to the text below:

"My name is Evan Webb, proud owner of WEBBTECA MUSICAL INDUSTRIES. In the spring of 2006 I invented what is called a MOD-BAR, the end all problem solver for 2 and 3 point bass bridges. These bridges are commonly found on Gibson, Epiphone and even some imported basses like Aria. All of them share a design flaw that won’t let the saddles intonate correctly. This inherent flaw also causes the silk windings (near the end of the string) to rest over the metal saddles, killing the tone and sustain! Many players have wasted time trying to unwind or cut them off. Now you don’t have to… The MOD-BAR will fix this problem!"

So from when your bass was built to 2006, it looks like the only way to solve the Gibson three-point bridge "feature" was drilling for through body stringing or a retainer of some sort like the one fitted on yours.

• Like 1

The three point bridge was introduced in 1973.  Before that there was a two point bridge (1967-73). 

part24_1.jpg

Before that there was the simple bar bridge which was referred to earlier in the thread.  All genuine.

The separate tailpiece is aftermarket, but not an awful thing to have.  Keeps those silks/windings off your saddles :)

Pretty sure the tugbar isn't factory issue either, I don't think they fitted them beyond the sixties.  In any case, if it was a Gibson one it would have been slightly curved and a bit more dainty than the chunky, straight one fitted here.

Neck pickup position is correct for a post 1972 EB-0, should be slightly less muddy there instead of jammed up at the end of the neck...

Best of luck.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

On this count, the bridge is, IMHO, one of the worst-designed bridges around.  BUT - I'm pretty sure that is what they were fitting as standard in the 70's (and still do on Epiphones IIRC).

Yup, still used today on Epiphone Jack Casady Signature and Allen Woody Rumblekat, also Gibson Thunderbird and SG.  Yup, still pretty awful :)

• Haha 1