Why become a member? ×

Classical and Contemporary Studies for Bass Guitar

• 4 weeks later...

The book is currently available in the UK through Amazon's third-party sellers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1513461427

The Amazon listing gives a "Look Inside" the Kindle version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classical-Contemporary-Studies-Bass-Guitar/dp/1513461427/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534236777&sr=8-1&keywords=Rob+MacKillop+bass

Any questions, ask away. Cheers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This arrived today; it's splendid, and well worth the wait..! A slim volume, easy to manipulate, containing a very interesting mix of both classical pieces and more modern works. Very well laid out, so it's easy to read, with both standard notation and Tab; I like to work out the score, then check 'my' version against the Tab. I've not (yet...) downloaded the audio tracks; I'll do that later. I'm very far from being a proficient player, but these studies are well worth working on; they really are charming, and are at tempos that are slow enough to encourage concentration on getting it right. I'm going to start on 'It's Lovely To Hear Your Voice', and also 'Imagine', with an intriguing shift from 2/4 to 3/4 and back. Many thanks, Rob, for having put this collection together, and so well. My thumb is well and truly up, :i-m_so_happy: and my hat duly doffed. :hi:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Just taken advantage of Mel bay’s 35% off, especially given   that I have more time on my hands now.  I was particularly interested in  the Gilbert Isbin pieces, and I was not disappointed.  These pieces are terrific, and to my mind echo the great studies by Leo Brouwer for classical guitar.  Like Brouwer’s works, I feel that far from living their lives as just studies many of these pieces will be very welcome in concert halls and recitals.  The harmonies are delicious- I sure wish I could compose pieces this wonderful!  Thank you Rob, they have helped me reignite my love for my bass 😊

Robbie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Rob,

having been reminded by notifications that this thread exists, I've just ordered a copy.  Having expressed my opinion about mixed tab/notation books years ago above, because I've been playing so much notation (and EUB), I find that I can now ignore the tab!  Looking forward to playing it.  

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 30/03/2020 at 07:17, Brook_fan said:

I was particularly interested in  the Gilbert Isbin pieces, and I was not disappointed.  These pieces are terrific, and to my mind echo the great studies by Leo Brouwer for classical guitar.  Like Brouwer’s works, I feel that far from living their lives as just studies many of these pieces will be very welcome in concert halls and recitals.  The harmonies are delicious- I sure wish I could compose pieces this wonderful!  Thank you Rob, they have helped me reignite my love for my bass 😊

Robbie

Robbie, you've made my day! Year, actually! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob MacKillop said:

Good to know, Stew. I hope you like it!

I have been learning to read music during the lockdown, you can't imagine what a joy it was to sit and play through the first piece in this book. 

To hear myself play something I'd never heard before, just by reading the dots! And what a beautiful piece of music too. Really looking forward to working through the rest of it. Thank you. 

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 11:40, Rob MacKillop said:

Thankfully I'm fluent in both languages - standard and tab - but every day am thankful I put the time in to learn to read standard notation. Keep it up!

I have the digital version so it was a simple matter to remove the tab. Seeing two different languages simultaneously on the page was a bit too much for my poor tired old brain. 

I've been playing the 2nd and 3rd pieces today. Very enjoyable. 

• Like 1