Why become a member? ×

First guitar in 40. Years. Squier Contemporary Strat.

dave_bass5

Ive not actually owned a guitar for about 40 years. The last one was a Craftsman Les Paul. I brought my GF a Fender acoustic a few years ago,and my youngest son has a Harley Benton Strat (not good IME). We decided he needed something better to learn on, and i want a guitar to play around on. 

So, I ordered a Contemporary Strat, with two single coils and one humbucker. Seems like a decent enough guitar. I know there are many, many options in the £300 price bracket but i do like the tone a strat produces, and the added bonus of a HB only makes it more versatile...hopefully. 

Its only for home use and I’m not going to be playing with a band. My son still favours drums (god forbid) but happy to play anything i give him 

Just wondered what, if any, peoples option of these are. It won’t arrive until end mid week but I’m hoping ive made a good choice. 

Oh, and i guess this is my first post in this section. Never really noticed it before. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Most Squier instruments that I've owned or worked on for customers, have been of decent quality. Most of them need a proper set up, but that's to be expected really and not what could be classed as a fault.

On the lower budget models the frets sometimes need a little attention.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Just wanted to report back and say im over the moon with this guitar. I dont know why but its so much easier to play than my sons HB Strat.

Niggles would be i wish it has a gloss neck, but that's a minor thing and i have had basses with the same finish and they were fine

No fret buzz that i can hear, frets feel like they are all seated and not sticking out etc. Neck seem straight and very comfortable.

I will (maybe) change the bridge later on, or block it. I have no need for the tremolo arm, so would prefer rock steady tuning over that. Its slipping a bit here and there, but nothing major.

Very pleased with the outcome. I just need to learn how to play it now.

• Like 3

On 14/07/2018 at 15:24, dave_bass5 said:

Just wanted to report back and say im over the moon with this guitar. I dont know why but its so much easier to play than my sons HB Strat.

Niggles would be i wish it has a gloss neck, but that's a minor thing and i have had basses with the same finish and they were fine

No fret buzz that i can hear, frets feel like they are all seated and not sticking out etc. Neck seem straight and very comfortable.

I will (maybe) change the bridge later on, or block it. I have no need for the tremolo arm, so would prefer rock steady tuning over that. Its slipping a bit here and there, but nothing major.

Very pleased with the outcome. I just need to learn how to play it now.

The trem/tuning thing is a problem on much more expensive fender strats than the Squier. It's just an intrinsically flawed design.

Good to hear that you're impressed with the rest of the guitar, I think Squier have really upped their game in the last decade.

• Like 1

Yeah, my old guitarist used to play a Fender Strat and he always used to say how unstable it can be when he used the trem. He never got around to replacing it with soemthnig better though.

This is only for home playing so maybe ill just get used to it.

Unfortunately its going back, as the volume pot is acting up. Its been cutting out and now its got to the point where i need to pull up on it to get a sound. At th emoment ther eis a pice of thick card under the knob. I know these things are cheap to fix, and ive got the skill to do it, but at less than 2 weeks old ill get the whole guitar replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

New guitar arrived just before i went on holiday. Seems fine. Ive just changed the tuners to a set of black Hipshot locking tuners. Made a big difference as far as keeping it all in tune goes. Not a cheap upgrade, and the first time ive every done this mod, but well worth it.

• Like 2