Why become a member? ×

250w Head & 400w Cab?

spongebob

I'm currently running a 500w head through a 400w cab. Fender head, Markbass cab (a 2x10).

Most gigs, neither is being pushed...volume at just over 1/4 most of the time, as it's a trio in pubs most of the time. 

I'm looking for a slight change with the head, and given what's on offer, and contemplating a 250w head. 

Anyone out there gigging with one? Guess I'm currently carrying loads more power than necessary...in fact, too much for the cab. The new Marcus Miller heads are very tempting.....

I appreciated it's very debatable....headroom and all that....but I'd be interested to hear any insights! 

Edited by spongebob

2 hours ago, spongebob said:

I'm currently running a 500w head through a 400w cab. Fender head, Markbass cab (a 2x10).

Most gigs, neither is being pushed...volume at just over 1/4 most of the time, as it's a trio in pubs most of the time. 

I'm looking for a slight change with the head, and given what's on offer, and contemplating a 250w head. 

Anyone out there gigging with one? Guess I'm currently carrying loads more power than necessary...in fact, too much for the cab. The new Marcus Miller heads are very tempting.....

I appreciated it's very debatable....headroom and all that....but I'd be interested to hear any insights! 

No, you're absolutely fine. I've ran a 1KW head in to a 400W cabinet with zero problems for years. All you have to do is listen - and if it sounds bad, then that's the time to diagnose. 

That said, 250W heads are all good - you just have the option of getting a 500W should something cool appear on the second hand market.. and boy are there some nice offerings I would grab if I had the cash spare!

It's a choice between a Marcus Miller 250...crisp, but not cheap, and (related to research and another thread) a Tech 21 VT 500, to add a little Geddy crunch. 

Power-wise, the latter is the same as I have now. But the MM is the 250 choice. 

My Fender 500 is a great amp....but seems to suit my Markbass/Geddy Lee bass set up less so than an all Rumble amp/cab/P. 

Did also consider the Ampeg PF 350/500...but this is all happening through my 2x10.

Guess I'm just trying to maximize my Geddy's 'Geddyness'!! 

Edited by spongebob

Double the Watts gets an increase in volume of about 2-3db. 

You haven't said how many ohm your cab is. 

If it’s 8 ohm, then you’re going to get about 2/3 of the amp’s power at full whack. But the chances are, you’ll never be running your amp at full tilt. If you do, then a 2nd 2x10 would make more sense than a 4 ohm 2x10.

having had a MB 2x10, I know they’re not shy when it comes to decibels. 😎

Why do you want to change? Are you unhappy with your sound or is there a problem with the amp?

If you want a clean sound (headroom and all that) I think you should stay with a 500 watt amp. It's difficult to advise. Watts are cheap, so the lowest powered amp I'll use is 500 watts because I find it's the most practical size and flexible enough to work well with any of the bands I play with.

Thanks guys! 

I've decided to stick with a 500w. I did consider a 250w, given the price difference and power currently used. 

However, given headroom, and not wanting to ever be caught short....I've pulled the trigger on a Little Mark 3.

Due tomorrow!