Why become a member? ×

Drums..yep

oldbass

I've started playing drums, or should I say trying to re-learn what I did at school 40 odd  yrs ago!  anyway after three weeks of the most fun I've had in years, having to pick up the bass for some upcoming gigs feels like a real bind, it seems kinda dull and boring to be honest  Just wondering if anyone else has ever found themselves in a similiar position with another instrument only to find it hard to go back to bass?

1 hour ago, gary mac said:

I like to play other instruments but always happy to pick up a bass, haven't yet found it boring.

Hope you get the love back😀 Enjoy the drumming as well though.

Well, I guess bass will always be there but the satisfaction of clanging out a ride driven jazz groove is hugely satisfying..guess a goodly long break from four strings might do me good.

• Like 2

I play both. I started as a drummer then took up playing bass. It gives me a great insight into the other half of the standard band rhythm section. I love doing both and it helps me understand how it all fits, or not. I also realised, when I took up bass, that some of my earlier drumming left little room for the bassist and forced him to play in a certain way. I think it has improved my drumming in that respect.

I also started as a drummer , and was in several gigging bands but weirdly, i got fed up with hauling so much gear around. I was already messing about with bass long before i moved over, so the transition wasn't such a trauma, but i never went back.

I've often wanted to invest some quality time in drumming but for the space it takes up with traditional kit.  The alternative is a syndrum kit but I'd feel I was cheating.

PS:  Can I have your bass and rig Mister?

Edited by SpondonBassed

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

When i was drumming, i moved to a Roland kit and loved it.  Didnt have cheating issues at all.

I was more in mind of how I'd feel learning on the Roland then moving on to a real kit.  Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it be like starting off again, not quite from scratch but not familiar with a full sized kit?

Edited by SpondonBassed

There's no reason it should be a hard transition.  A  syn kit is usually smaller and so naturally can be spaced much closer together than acoustic drums, but since you can place them where you like,  you could have a syn kit resembling the positions of acoustic drums.

The one thing about syn drums is to , more or less , avoid the rubber pads as main drums.  They're fine as add-ons ( i used the pads as percussion items )  but the best syn drums to play are the ones with mesh pads.  They're tunable, which is paramount, and they have the stick response more like acoustic heads.

The cymbals on my kit  20 years ago were not as good as they are now.

3 hours ago, fleabag said:

There's no reason it should be a hard transition.  A  syn kit is usually smaller and so naturally can be spaced much closer together than acoustic drums, but since you can place them where you like,  you could have a syn kit resembling the positions of acoustic drums.

Given that my reason for not dabbling is lack of space, I'll pass thanks.  If I could find space between the basses, amps, guitars, ukes and the tuning fork to lay out a syn kit like a full sized drum kit, why wouldn't I just buy a drum kit?

54 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Given that my reason for not dabbling is lack of space, I'll pass thanks.  If I could find space between the basses, amps, guitars, ukes and the tuning fork to lay out a syn kit like a full sized drum kit, why wouldn't I just buy a drum kit?

Because you were asking.

If you dont want answers, dont ask

Interesting responses guys

I use a couple of home made practise pads which Ive mounted on a pair of snare stands with a BD rig thingy..but even clacking on them irritates next door if I get carried away so once a week I use a very nice air con drum studio couple of miles away. I cant give the bass stuff away yet...still got gigging promises to do which I'll probably enjoy but only with a watchful eye on the drummer....ha
But yeah the lugging gear thing is prob why I avoided it in the frst place, I mean it was the early 80's with double BD's and reams of Rotos clogging up the stage. Have to say though the current trend towards small kits does seem hugely appealing and almost manageable.

5 hours ago, mikel said:

I play both. I started as a drummer then took up playing bass. It gives me a great insight into the other half of the standard band rhythm section. 

I gigged as a drummer in the 60s/70s, and last year took drum lessons for a few months.

Last week, I was rota'd on our church band with a new-to-us but brilliant drummer, and afterwards he remarked how he felt my bass playing was complementary to and in sympathy with his drumming.  I mentioned I’d been trying to revisit my drumming (I have a basic electronic kit), and he said it showed in my bass playing.

I was well chuffed!

Edited by Baxlin

Drums was my first instrument and I’ve been considering taking it up again (I haven’t played seriously since the last band I played drums in folded, thirty three years ago...). I’d like to find a band I can drum in, once I’m up to speed, but I won’t be giving up bass. 

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I was more in mind of how I'd feel learning on the Roland then moving on to a real kit.  Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it be like starting off again, not quite from scratch but not familiar with a full sized kit?

Its an easy transition. Mesh pads can be tensioned to feel similar to the traditional drum sizes. If you set up the e-kit with the pads the same heights and distances apart as you would an acoustic kit then the muscle memory is the same. I live in a terrace so I practice on my e-kit every day, the acoustic kit only comes out for band practice and gigs.

14 hours ago, fleabag said:

Because you were asking.

If you dont want answers, dont ask

I appreciate that you have taken the time to consider my position.  I am sorry that you have taken offence at my reply.

The problem is circular in nature.  If I had space, I might consider getting a drum kit in.  The intention would be to learn my way around a standard drum kit.  If nothing else it would be possible for drummers to join in a spontaneous jam at my house.  I haven't got the space so a syn drum kit would seem to be an answer.

I agree that to learn in a way that would make the transition to a real kit less troublesome it would need to be set up, as you yourself suggested, to replicate the overall placement of a real kit thereby going right back to square one, which is to buy a full kit since the syn drum kit would need the same sort of space to set up.

I am now considering avoiding all of the trappings of analogue drums altogether (drummers always seem grumpy anyway) and I have wondered whether to replace my TR606 with a rack mounted synthesiser controlled by one of these:

AkaiMPD218.png.9df35bb41aea8b0ebc63bc756bf5f373.png
Demo Vid

When did I say that I did not want an answer?

Have a nice week.

23 hours ago, oldbass said:

I've started playing drums, or should I say trying to re-learn what I did at school 40 odd  yrs ago!  anyway after three weeks of the most fun I've had in years, having to pick up the bass for some upcoming gigs feels like a real bind, it seems kinda dull and boring to be honest  Just wondering if anyone else has ever found themselves in a similiar position with another instrument only to find it hard to go back to bass?

Must admit these last few years my love for the Bass as took a real nose dive....last 3 bands I have been in I have been the lead Vocalist, I also dabble with Acoustic and Electric Guitar....still tinkle on Bass occasionally but not obsessed like I was years ago.

I play drum kit, various hand and stick drums, guitars and bass and switch regularly so there's no chance of getting fed up. Over the last 10 years I've done may more gigs playing drums or percussion than bass. There's something  really cathartic about banging drums, especially if you're in a group of drummers, that you don't get with fretted instruments.