Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot BLX combo

knirirr

I have a TE GP12 combo with 4x10"

Very heavy, but I am wondering about if I should take out the head, and make 4 10" cabs instead. Then I can use whatever is needed in various occasions

Edited by isteen

12 hours ago, isteen said:

I have a TE GP12 combo with 4x10"

Very heavy, but I am wondering about if I should take out the head, and make 4 10" cabs instead. Then I can use whatever is needed in various occasions

You might need to check the speakers used before deciding that. If they use 4 x 32 ohm speakers to give you a 8 ohm cab, you can simply connect your four cabs in parallel. but if they are wiring four 8 ohm speakers in series/parallel, then your separate box connections will be come a bit more complicated, and two 2x10" cabs might be an easier option.

David

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these! It was my first gigging amp and I bought it new for the princely sum of 400 pounds in 1995.  It was heavy but really loud! More than capable of holding its own in pub gigs on its own or combined with an ashdown 1x15 compact! I wish I'd never got rid of it.

130 watts old school = 500 watts class D. Easily.

As an aside, I was playing a charity gig the other week and the backline was some old school 150 watt peavey head. It was ferociously loud using my big baby II and it was only on about 3 on the master out. I've tried loads  of class D heads and they just don't have the slam of these old amps!

Edited by doc40hz
  • Like 2