Why become a member? ×

Disco Duck broken

Happy Jack

Tonight I depped for a functions-ish band in St. Albans. I have now played Le Freak and Blame It On The Boogie, Dancing Queen and Waterloo, even Uptown Funk, and I was gutted when we ran out of time before I could play Disco Inferno.

Never played ANY of those songs before in front of an audience. Years of pop/rock and blues/rock and Dadrock but never disco.

Don't know where you all rate that lot for coolness or otherwise, but some bloody good fun to be had!

Just thought you'd like to know.

😁

• Like 6

Cool as the other side of the pillow

In a side projects first outing tonight I played Superstition,  Turning Japanese, Laid, Sit Down and Swords of a thousand men for the first time with an audience.

• Like 3

I wouldn’t listen to any of that Kind of music at home out of choice, but it is so much fun to play in a band. I played loads of Disco/funk in a previous band with a brass section too, and I have never enjoyed playing so much. We used to do September by Earth Wind and Fire which was just pure joy for the band and audiences.

There are a lot of great basslines to play with this stuff. It's a surprise to find how well these olds disco tunes go down with people far too young to have been around in the 70's. Along with some of the above we do Car Wash  - everyone loves it. Bruno Mars also popular,  Locked out of Heaven, Treasure, Runaway Baby Uptown Funk, all good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Le Freak

9 hours ago, Les said:

Superstition

They're both in my set I practice those regularly by playing along to recordings by the original artist.

I just need band mates to work with me on my "set" and turn out an acceptable arrangement for these and other songs on the list.

Yep, our funk-ish band avoided Superstition due to everyone and their mother murdering it, ( some have nailed it ) so we chose Higher Ground.  Great bassline and easy to play. KC's That's The Way and Get Down Tonight are pretty good fun to play too.

As a drummer, I've a particular aversion to most things Disco, with the rather characteristic migraine-inducing beat of 'One, One, One, One...' thumping away interminably. Rare exceptions (if 'Sir Duke' can be classed as 'Disco'..?), and I'm glad there's at least someone getting kicks from it, but in general the genre is anathema to me. Strokes for folks 'n all, of course. B|

Edited by Dad3353

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Believe it or not, I tried to persuade The Junkyard Dogs to introduce that.

The suggestion was not well received ...

Well Jack, might I suggest to you that you suggest to them that they man up a little. Like many disco classics, it can be injected with a funk/blues/rock vibe - think Miss You by the Stones, only a little more up-tempo. In fact, we used to go straight from Miss You into Funkytown and occasionally back again (and not always deliberately if the singer had warmed up at the bar) . 

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Love Stevie W, hate Superstition and what pub bands like mine have done to it...

I found out recently that it was written for Jeff Beck.  Wondrous.

"Jeff Beck was an admirer of Wonder's music, and Wonder was informed of this prior to the Talking Book album sessions. Though at this point he was virtually playing all of the instruments on his songs by himself, Wonder still preferred to let other guitarists play on his records, and he liked the idea of a collaboration with Beck, a star-in-the-making guitarist. An agreement was quickly made for Beck to become involved in the sessions that became the Talking Book album, in return for Wonder writing him a song."

Full article

• Like 1

16 hours ago, operative451 said:

Disco is the greatest musical form ever created.

My cohort and I just completed a parody based around a Boney M song and it was too much fun... He is a grumpy goth but we were both giggling at what we had wrought... :D

Reminds me of a gig we did at the Goth and Giggle one night...

Moany Ben had worked up an arrangement of Disco Duck and was dressed as Count Duckula.  I had misunderstood at rehearsal and I'd learnt Joe Dart's line's from Funky Duck.  As we launched into the intro Antwaun Stanley got up and started to sing...

Well.  Moany Ben was all about the Rick Dees lyrics and Antwaun was all like oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo

The crowd loved it.  Disco laced with Funky, Goth garnished with Disco cheese...  we got a nomination for Mash-up of the Year, a bale of pancakes and a firkin of Hoisin sauce to round the night off.  Good times.

I just wish Will I Am would stop pestering me to sign up.

CountDuckula.png.85b239357cd3a105441a43b155a124cb.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 2