Why become a member? ×

Darkglass multi-effect unit

visog

I did a bit of work on a wee arduino project to implement presets on a Darkglass Vintage clone. I was really trying to see if I could improve on the implementation of the Tech21 preset functionality I'd seen in the VT bass deluxe I owned. Which was stinky poo... Not the sound, but the fact the position of the controls bore no resemblance to the actual preset settings! Having played around a bit I can see why it was done the way it was, but I wouldn't buy another pedal with that sort of preset implementation.

As with many of my projects, I didn't get it finished, but I did enough to know while it's not difficult to do, I doubt my implementation, or anything like it, would be good enough for Doug's asthetic vision for Darkglass products. It's not in the same league of difficulty as what DG have implemented with their DSP work (it's probably around the same order of difficulty as the workings of their intelligent footswitches for their amps). 

I got as far as storing 3 different presets and recalling these values to a quad digital potentiometer. The issue is the design of the user interface. I was happy enough to implement mine with a single rotary control with integrated push button, a little 0.96" OLED display for indication of settings, 2 footswitches and 4 LEDs.

• Like 1

I think you'd need an LED indicator ring around the knob to indicate the preset position, like the TC RH450/750. That design but with a blue coloured smooth circular line instead of red dots would fit the bill. Either that or motorised knobs!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I think you'd need an LED indicator ring around the knob to indicate the preset position, like the TC RH450/750. That design but with a blue coloured smooth circular line instead of red dots would fit the bill. Either that or motorised knobs!

The LED ring was my first thought, but not an easy DIY effort. I had considered prototyping something similar just using rows of LEDs for proof of concept but the OLED display was simpler. You'd also have to either put up with your controls not pointing to the same value as the stored preset value a la Sansamp (yuck!) , or use 4 (in the case of the vintage microtubes clone) rotary encoders (knobs that turn continuously for the uninitiated) which adds complication, although it's all possible. Again, there's a reason the likes of TC use plastic for faceplates in such instances (all the ugly LED gubbins hidden behind smoked plastic), but I can't see it fitting with the aesthetic of what Darkglass are doing. There'd be some quite expensive and intricate milling required to get a similar effect in an aluminium enclosure - although do something similar with the machining for the Super Symmetry metering.

There's also current consumption to consider with a pedal. LEDs are thirsty little gits...

Motorised knobs are right out I'd imagine.

8 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Their stuff only allows for cv control via the parameters selected by dip switches on the front of the pedal. I'm talking about presets which recall all the knob positions.

There's a few examples though my Tech21 PSA 1.1 is brilliant for that reason. The original version came out in 1989 I think so the ideas I'm talking about are nothing new. Try selling a decent delay pedal without midi patches. In the main it's not adopted by distortions, but kind of has to by delays. Modulations slightly less, but it depends on what you require.

pretty sure its full midi preset control no?

2 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

pretty sure its full midi preset control no?

Kind of. But you need a chase Bliss midi box for it to work. The cv stuff is reasonably accessible, but the presets are somewhat more buried. If you can't see where a knob is positioned it's kind of difficult to adjust isn't it? Has anyone ever adjusted the position or value of a knob by sending a cc message instead of turning it?!

3 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Kind of. But you need a chase Bliss midi box for it to work. The cv stuff is reasonably accessible, but the presets are somewhat more buried. If you can't see where a knob is positioned it's kind of difficult to adjust isn't it? Has anyone ever adjusted the position or value of a knob by sending a cc message instead of turning it?!

on some of my moog stuff it is a pain tho