Why become a member? ×

Rack Case Quandry

Mykesbass

Just got a Gator 2U 19" case for my VERY heavy Fender Pro 800 - solid state that could give most valve amps a run for their money when it comes to weight. 

Bolted the amp in this evening but was left worrying. All that force is being taken by four fairly decent, but quite small bolts. Any engineers, or physicists got any opinions on whether this may be an issue? Just to reiterate, the amp is crazy heavy, and a lot of the weight is at the back, adding to the load on the bolts.

Thanks, Mike.

10 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

How about wedging a few rubber amp feet type things under the lower part of the amp to prop it up a bit in the case? That should help if you're concerned....

Sort of like these http://www.terralec.co.uk/feet/rubber_foot_with_screws_4_pack/30987_p.html#

Yes, was thinking along these lines, but was hoping someone would come along with some nice physics calculations to show me I have nothing to worry about!!

Personally I'd be more worried about the stress on the front panel of the amp rather than the bolts attaching it to the rack case. 

Heavy rack gear should provide fixing both front and rear, to hold it properly in place. Failing that could you bolt a heavy duty rack shelf into the back of the rack and support the amp that way?

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Personally I'd be more worried about the stress on the front panel of the amp rather than the bolts attaching it to the rack case. 

Heavy rack gear should provide fixing both front and rear, to hold it properly in place. Failing that could you bolt a heavy duty rack shelf into the back of the rack and support the amp that way?

Hadn't thought of that, but very valid point (although the amp seems pretty well engineered in that department with plenty of hex fastenings).

It's not so much the number of fixings on the front panel but how rigid it is since it is also the point at which the amp bolts into the rack case. Just looking at some photos of this amp and the front panel does appear to quite thin compared with how heavy you describe the amp as being. 

Does this amp have any rack mounting attachments at the rear (I could find any photos of the back of the amp).

The important thing from the PoV of preventing damage to the amp is to stop the back of the amp moving up and down. 

Good quality heavy rack mounting gear will also have fixings that attach to the back of the rack case to prevent this.

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's not so much the number of fixings on the front panel but how rigid it is since it is also the point at which the amp bolts into the rack case. Just looking at some photos of this amp and the front panel does appear to quite thin compared with how heavy you describe the amp as being. 

Does this amp have any rack mounting attachments at the rear (I could find any photos of the back of the amp).

The important thing from the PoV of preventing damage to the amp is to stop the back of the amp moving up and down. 

Good quality heavy rack mounting gear will also have fixings that attach to the back of the rack case to prevent this.

Looked it up, 15kg, and most of that at the back. I'll have another good look tonight, but pretty sure there is no obvious fixing at the back.

A simple wood block can be fixed under the back of the amp - I’ve used a skirting board off cut, Velcro’d onto the bottom of the case.  Stops too much movement and stress to the front of the amp. My SWR power amp fell out of a van... 

7 hours ago, BassBod said:

A simple wood block can be fixed under the back of the amp - I’ve used a skirting board off cut, Velcro’d onto the bottom of the case.  Stops too much movement and stress to the front of the amp. My SWR power amp fell out of a van... 

This.

Got my GK 1001 in an SKB 3U rack case, and my tech guy made me a wooden block to support the rear weight and thus relieving the strain on the 4 front rack bolts. ( He even painted it black to make it invisible too, bless him. )

9 hours ago, BassBod said:

2 hours ago, casapete said:

This.

Got my GK 1001 in an SKB 3U rack case, and my tech guy made me a wooden block to support the rear weight and thus relieving the strain on the 4 front rack bolts. ( He even painted it black to make it invisible too, bless him. )

Yes, thanks gents, I'll be doing this at the weekend. Still a bit puzzled by the design flaw though!

It’s an old system, originally for scientific /lab research, not rocknroll.  

My SWR’s make it more of an issue.  They used aluminium cases for heat transfer, but it is more likely to get stressed by drops and tough handling - slight bends can be re-shaped, but only so many times.  Also they punched the rack bolt holes to fit a 2u amp into a 3u space - to allow for air cooling.  This makes a larger than normal gap at the bottom between amp and case.  There really does need to be something (dense foam or wood) in that gap, especially with the heavier amps.

10 hours ago, BassBod said:

Unless the case is always going to be carried and stored in the same orientation as it sits on the cab you are also going to need to attach a block of wood to the top of the amp bracing against the top of the rack case.

• Thanks 1