Why become a member? ×

NBD: SKC Bogart Blackstone (with history) owners welcome!

Chris2112

This is what it was like before the blue refinish. I was lucky enough to own it twice. Once before the refinish then once after. I bought it from Mansons guitar shop when they 1st had it then traded it back in with them and i believe that’s when Stuart got his hands on it. I then bought it privately a few years later off of him. That’s when we discovered i was buying back my original bass. 

80F1FEEC-83F7-4E30-94AD-91CE8D716804.png

• Like 2

Update on my yellow one - bit disappointed really .

It was a 50th present to myself , and I played it for a few months . Action was a tad higher than I like , but the main thing was making a real effort this time on a 5 string - my third attempt .

Sold loads of stuff , and got a Dingwall Super P5 , earlier this year , and it's been hands down , the best bass I've ever had - and I've a load of the years .

Lowered the saddles on the Bogart , and it was choking like a good'n .

Martin Booth (who I haven't had work on anything of mine for 10 years) , remembered me , and fitted me in to his busy schedule for an hour one afternoon . And this is when the disappointment came in .

He took one look at it , and said the truss rod was completely slack , then showed me the end of the neck where the cap is .

I'd never thought to look , but it wasn't even on straight , and he couldn't get to the truss rod, as the hole didn't match up at all .

Luckily it was brass and not stainless , so he had to open the hole up by drilling bigger holes , so he could fit an allen key in there .

The cap also wasn't even screwed it right , there had been some sort of matchstick hole filling going on - it didn't look good for a bass that cost me over 2 grand .

He also said it needed a fret dress up as they weren't good - he didn't have the time as he's really busy , so gave me a number of someone who he gives some of his set up work to , as he's rammed busy with building , and has a massive back log .

I'm struggling to see how a QC issue could happen like this , with a one man band operation .

This pretty much has turned me off the whole bass , and it's sat in it's bag for months now .

In hindsight , I should've spent more and gone Status - no way Rob would've let that out of his workshop .

Live and learn .

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, E sharp said:

In hindsight , I should've spent more and gone Status - no way Rob would've let that out of his workshop .

Live and learn .

In fairness, no-one is perfect. I've known a few QC issues with Status and there are plenty of customers out there who have had a similar experience with Status as you've had here (just ask disappointed Streamline owners). I say that as someone who has loved Status basses since I was a lad. No-one is perfect but you'd have an easier time sorting out issues with Status. 

Whatever has gone on with the yellow Bogart, it's plainly not good enough and needs out back to Stefan ASAP. It sounds like he needs a rocket up him if it's been bodged and then shipped out. I don't know if Stefan does all the work himself although he is the face of the company and so should be responsible for at least checking every aspect of an instrument before it leaves his shop. I'd be asking for a refund but I'll leave it to you to seek recourse. Please keep us updated of any future developments here as I'd be interested to know how this is handled. 

If ever there were proof of cause and effect, I was sat playing my Blackstone 5 this afternoon and it sounded glorious. So comfortable and easy to play. I had that feeling of being totally unimpeded by the instrument, free to play as I wanted. I went on google and started looking at other Bogart basses, wondering what I might spec if I were to order another. I don't think I'll bother now. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to bother sending it back to Stefan as you suggested Chris , as frankly , I just can't be bothered .

Sorting out shipping and the like , it'll be easier to send to someone here .

There's a guy in Beccles (Suffolk) , who did some work on the silver Modulus Flea that's up for sale . So he's used to working with graphite .

Probably looking at a couple of hundred to sort . Can't really move it on as it is .

Once fixed , I can see myself getting rid .

Shame really .

13 minutes ago, E sharp said:

I'm not going to bother sending it back to Stefan as you suggested Chris , as frankly , I just can't be bothered .

Sorting out shipping and the like , it'll be easier to send to someone here .

There's a guy in Beccles (Suffolk) , who did some work on the silver Modulus Flea that's up for sale . So he's used to working with graphite .

Probably looking at a couple of hundred to sort . Can't really move it on as it is .

Once fixed , I can see myself getting rid .

Shame really .

You should at least contact Bogart to register your disappointment - give them a chance to throw some options at you and make the call from there. It seems a bit odd to me just to suck it up and throw more of your own money into sorting out a manufacturing issue within a warranty period?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...