Why become a member? ×

NBD: SKC Bogart Blackstone (with history) owners welcome!

Chris2112

1 minute ago, Chris2112 said:

Frankly, we reached a peak of material development in the 80's and carbon fibre still hasn't been surpassed. Until race cars are made of something lighter and stronger, carbon fibre will continue to be the best neck material around (IMO).

How about material manipulating methods along with materials? 3D-printing (plastics, fibers, ceramics, metals, composites of all these as well as functional parts) is the new black, so there may be several ideas coming towards consumer goods. No, all ideas are not used. Something new is coming round the corner all the time.

That is very interesting Joe, and I shouldn't be surprised that Mr. Heß came up with such a process. I had always assumed those ones were finished by flicking the paint over the finished bass and then clear coating, but to add the colour to the mix before curing is a better solution indeed. 

I had often thought about sending my bass back down to Mansons in Exeter for a refinish in a flat, bright yellow, but I rather like blue paint and feel as though I should keep it in the fashion in which it was seen in Stuart Clayton's video.

If anyone is interested in Bogart basses, please check out the Facebook owner's group started by Karl Clews. It has a number of owners onboard already and we hope that it could become a useful repository of experience and shared enjoyment of these basses. Indeed, I was reliant on the advice of another Bogart owner to successfully restring my headed five string, so clearly there is some benefit to sharing what we know. 

The finish and colors on this bass are not paint. It is actually colored acrylic resin dribbled into a mold along with the blackstone acrylic resin and compressed. At least that is the impression they gave me when speaking with Salwender in 1995-96. The finish cannot be rubbed off.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Exciting times! Which model did you go for?

Headless 5 string

2 MM pickups. Rear one in the classic MM position , then the other one virtually right in front of it

Noll active circuit - 4 band I think

Red LED's - side only

Black hardware / knobs

All yellow satin finish . This was the big stumbling block , as I wanted ALL yellow - body , neck and fingerboard . He had to check with the guy who does his necks , to see if it was possible . This surprised me really , as Stefan is sort of known for his wacky finishes , but hey ho , it's all up and running now .

The yellow , is very bright - think lego brick etc . May change it slightly for a more desert yellow , but we'll see

• 1 year later...

That is fantastic! What a distinctive looking bass. I love the fact that Stefan will make these really 'off the wall' looking basses.

I still own and play my Bogart 5 regularly, it is just sublime. It's currently strung with some Elites that have to go though, I used to like those strings but these ones seem utter crap. 

Well I've been mooting the idea of a full yellow bass for the last 20 odd years .

Spoke to Rob Green at Status when I was down there years ago getting a bass fixed , and he really wasn't receptive to the idea of it at all . Would've been a headed Stealth 5 , but today's prices , plus the massive quote he implied around the paint job , would bring the price well over 3.5 K . Similar spec'ed bass that Stefan made for me was around 2-2.5 K - can't remember the exact figure .

Got lucky with a work BT share save finishing a 5 year plan ; so half for my 50th folly (Bogart) , and other half for a Dingwall 5P , that I've paid house fund back by selling shed loads of gear .

Tried 5's years ago , and never got on with them , but now just gonna jump feet first in and force myself - handy for the function deps , whenever that'll be again .

Never ever played a Bogart before , so taking a massive leap of faith . But I thought that I'd just order something really unique , but not too 'out there' - though I realise 'not too out there' will be disputed by most on here .

Also helps that I'm a complete graphite fan boy .

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was pretty sure to be ordering a Status in a few weeks. But reading up on Bogart now, and seem like almost as new for much less. And since it's EU the total cost is transparent. 

Any pros for status, I guess neck through should allow for a bit better sustain? 

On 06/08/2020 at 17:23, E sharp said:

Stefan has sent some other pics for me , before he posts it .

He's putting them up on his main FB page , but wanted me to see them first - he's a real gent .

bogart4.jpg

bogart5.jpg

bogart6.jpg

bogart7.jpg

I came here expecting some kind of splatter with a kinked headstock - but that is just Beautiful! 

• 2 weeks later...