Why become a member? ×

Fender neck sizes Precision vs. Jazz

LewisK1975

Fender 'A' neck - 1.5in nut - Standard for Jazz Bass
Fender 'B' neck - 1.625in nut - Standard for modern Precision
Fender 'C' neck - 1.75in nut. - Found on re-issue / certain sig model Precisions

So, we know that there have been Precisions made by Fender (certainly in the 60's/70's anyway) which came fitted with Factory 'A' necks.

My question is, has anyone ever had a Jazz Bass fitted with a Factory B/C neck?  (Don't include the 80's Japan Jazz Bass special, that was essentialy a hot rod Precision!)

I've certainly never heard of one......

Edited by LewisK1975

I've not come across one Lewis.
I did have a US Jazz, which I think was early 90's?
That had a Jazz width (type) nut - but it felt just a tad wider than usual
Also, it was noticeably thicker / "deeper" than any other Jazz neck I've come across.....

Are you thinking of getting a Jazz with a P neck mate?
Not more GAS again, surely? ;)

I'm sure I saw someone on here, who had Mark build him a Limelight Jazz, with P neck, as he preferred chunkier necks.....
Just in case you have got "chunky-jazz GAS"

Edited by Marc S
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I've not come across one Lewis.
I did have a US Jazz, which I think was early 90's?
That had a Jazz width (type) nut - but it felt just a tad wider than usual
Also, it was thicker / "deeper" than any other Jazz neck I've come across.....

Are you thinking of getting a Jazz with a P neck mate?
Not more GAS again, surely? ;)

I'm sure I saw someone on here, who had Mark build him a Limelight Jazz, with P neck, as he preferred chunkier necks.....
Just in case you have got "chunky-jazz GAS"

No GAS right now Marc, spending on home improvements has put pay to that for a while.

Just curious, as we've see Precisions with Jazz necks a lot, it's not usual to see them the other way round.....

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I am interested in this too, as I am not a fan of the A neck.

I have an Allen Eden Jazz which has B neck dimensions and is lovely! 

Same here BB, not a fan of the A neck either! 

I feel OK on a B or C though, and like the Jazz sound.....

1 minute ago, LewisK1975 said:

No GAS right now Marc, spending on home improvements has put pay to that for a while.....

Now I've mentioned it, you will shortly have "chunk-jazz-GAS" - I'm sure of it ;)
I have seen a couple of examples where BC'ers have swapped a Jazz neck for a chunkier P neck,
and sold the P with Jazz neck which is its' by-product........

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Now I've mentioned it, you will shortly have "chunk-jazz-GAS" - I'm sure of it ;)
I have seen a couple of examples where BC'ers have swapped a Jazz neck for a chunkier P neck,
and sold the P with Jazz neck which is its' by-product........

That`s something I`m toying with doing at present. I love the sound of a Jazz bass, but find the necks too easy to scoot around on, I prefer a chunker that I have to work on.

• Like 1

I have two jazz basses with Precision necks, both sound and play better than any others I've owned. Big necks make a difference to the sound and playability for me. 

Fretless below, no pics of the fretted I'm afraid but will take some and post later

image.thumb.png.d23dce6c1fa647af346e215d8e07387c.png

• Like 1

I've recently fitted the 'C' neck from my Roger Waters sig (which is by far the comfiest neck I've ever played) onto my Blacktop Jazz, but then that has two P pickups on it so I'm not sure where i fit in this thread 😳.

I'm now on the hunt for another neck from a Waters bass to fit back on my Waters bass, if you see what I mean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Fender 'A' neck - 1.5in nut - Standard for Jazz Bass
Fender 'B' neck - 1.625in nut - Standard for modern Precision
Fender 'C' neck - 1.75in nut. - Found on re-issue / certain sig model Precisions

So, we know that there have been Precisions made by Fender (certainly in the 60's/70's anyway) which came fitted with Factory 'A' necks.

My question is, has anyone ever had a Jazz Bass fitted with a Factory B/C neck?  (Don't include the 80's Japan Jazz Bass special, that was essentialy a hot rod Precision!)

I've certainly never heard of one......

Not anything to do with the thread at all, but just a bit of info' - the 80's JBS (PJ-555) actually had a jazz neck. However the one that Duff McKagan ended up with as his career exploded interestingly had a Precision profile neck. It was this bass that lent it's specifications to the currently available MiM Duff McKagan Jazz Bass Special. I agree that this is way more of a Precision Bass Special.. or, you know.. a standard PJ without a pick guard lol... 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s something I`m toying with doing at present. I love the sound of a Jazz bass, but find the necks too easy to scoot around on, I prefer a chunker that I have to work on.

"Too easy"? - what are we bassists like? Manufacturers make things a bit easier for us, and we have to go and make our own lives difficult again! lol ;)

I prefer a Jazz profile neck myself - but then I also like some Precision necks. I don't like ones that are wide, as well as being very chunky / deep
Oddly enough though Lozz, I know what you mean. I had a really nice AVRI 70's Jazz (with the bullet trussrod adjustment at the headstock)
And it looked and sounded gorgeous - but the neck was thinner than any other Jazz I'd owned or played at that time, and for some reason, I didn't quite like it as much as I thought I would....

In the end, I got offered slightly more than I'd paid for it - so I sold it.

• Like 1

I have asked myself the same question many times over the years, why are there no Jazz basses and very few PJ Precisions with a 'proper' precision neck. I can handle a Jazz nut width for a while but it gives me cramp in my hand and I just feel more comfortable on a P or Stingray neck. I love Jazz basses but to get the neck I would want means either a bitsa build or custom. I was on the verge of emailing Moollon to see if they would do one of their Jazz basses with a P neck, but as I don't have the money I didn't want to waste their time.

• Like 1

The only thing Fendery Jazz bass I've played with a wider nut was a Squier SIlver Series Jazz which had a 40mm nut (slightly narrower than the B neck).  I think I'm right in saying this particular neck was used for both the P and J basses.

• Like 1