Why become a member? ×

Heavier Gauge Strings on a Ibanez "Skinny" Neck

bobmartin

I want to try a heavier set on an Ibanez next that has a narrow neck, compared with any other bass that I've owned. The current set are (flat wound) Chromes, 45's to 100", and I think that the 50's to 100' might suit me better, but there's a tension difference of 24lbs.

Is there any chance that I could damage the neck? The tech in the shop was muttering a bit..

I don't think they would 'damage' the neck - personally I don't like putting heavy strings on tiny necks though, just ain't right in my book. Where have you got your tensions from? Check on the page below:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=205&productname=ECB82_Chromes_Bass__Medium__50_105__Long_Scale

Click on Family tension chart.

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

If the tech in the shop is muttering about  damaging the neck by simply changing to a slightly heavier gauge of strings then he really shouldn't be a tech in a shop. 

You might have to do a slight set up adjustment, that should be it.

• Like 2

It's the truss rod doing the bulk of the job of countering string tension, so the wood's taking little of the stress.

No practical experience myself of heavy gauges on a skinny neck but I doubt it would be an issue, should only require a truss rod tweak.

I forgot to mention that It's a fretless piezo model SRH 500F, I'm not looking for a Jaco or fusion sound, more of a warm D/B one that fits well with acoustic pianos. 

I'll give a larger set a go, the nut will have to be enlarged but no probs because I want to replace it (graphite) with an ebony one at some point.

Tapewounds?