Why become a member? ×

World Cup vs bass time

There's nothing like a World Cup penalty shoot out involving England to get the adrenaline going - and what better way to relax after than a bit of practicing (acoustically) - I've been trying to perfect What Is Hip (Scott's Bass Lessons recent video spurred me on to it) so had a good go after the highlights of last night's game (yes I watched it twice)!! I even adjusted the action on my SR5 to assist!! 

My band got a call about Saturdays gig asking if we could move from 5pm to either 2 or 3. Seems some bands won't play when the footy is on. I can sort of understand, why play to absolutely nobody?? But a commitment is a commitment, I feel for the organisers. It's a charity event and they might really miss out. Had England won their group they'd have had Belgium's fixtures, which would have not affected this Saturday at all.

20 hours ago, mikel said:

Mostly bass time for me. I was an avid follower of football, but the direction the game and the PL players have taken since TV money became the all pervading factor has turned me off completely. I watched the Iceland games as I think they mostly embody what football was like before Murdoch got his grubby paws on it.

I no longer follow the PL for the same reason (I 'm a Forest Green Rovers supporter for my sins, my local team) but the WC differs as it's about pride of playing for one's country and not just about chasing the biggest paypacket.

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Blimey.

The 1973 All Blacks -v- Barbarians game is still talked about with great respect just like the 1966 football is.

The 6 Nations is on terrestrial TV every spring! That includes France and Italy. (Although Italy really should get binned to allow Georgia in).

Love the Six Nations and I agree it's time Georgia were given a chance. TBH I'd like to see it expanded to 8 nations , to include Romania. It's the stuffed shirts on the 6 nations committee that keep blocking the addition of new countries. The Six Nations is a bit like those snooty golf clubs that  still won''t allow women in. Time to get rid of the old f@rts on the  Six Nations executive. They'd probably argue that the likes of Georgia won't pull in the viewers. If they play as well as they did in the 2015 world cup they would. Ha, the mods might think we're digressing from bass chat!

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

I have deped out a pub gig this Friday and a nice paying function gig this coming Saturday as I have been ordered by the wife to attend one of her friends husbands 40th birthday celebrations. We were to to trek over to Wales to walk up and down a large hill followed by leaping of a hill attached to some wires.

This was booked several months ago so I dutifully made arrangements and organised suitable deps. I have now been informed that due to the England game on Saturday, 7 of 9 attending husbands are refusing to go on the pre arranged Saturday despite booking costs, time off ect.

It would appear I know have to turn up in Wales on Friday and following a six hour drive (traffic willing that is) throw myself off a hill attached to a wire and spend Saturday in a pub, in Wales, watching football.

As someone that has little to no interest in football, even if it is Engerland, this flipping match has prevented me doing something I love, is costing me money, causing agro if I mention even one more time to my wife that this is a now a complete "waste of my time" plus its already upsetting a bunch of wives who thought they were doing a great job organising a special occasion.

Yes we are having some "male bonding" but quite frankly the way things have turned out ,bar the zip wire, we could do all this at home for a fraction of the cost plus I could of still done the gigs.

Football? dont talk to me about flipping football!!!  

Ok had a rant. Thats better....going for a laydown.....

I do understand some of the frustration about other events being affected by this, but at the same time I am astonished almost every year at the short-sightedness of various venues and organisations - have they never heard of the World Cup, the European Championships, the Olympics?

As soon as I open my new diary for the following year, the first entries are the major sporting events that I really do not want to compete with. I won't accept evening gigs if they're scheduled against, say, the Champions League final, or afternoon gigs if they're up against the British GP at Silverstone or the Men's Singles Final at Wimbledon.

I mean, come on guys, this is hardly rocket science.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Meanwhile, if you thought you'd had it bad ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44722812

Well if England go to extra time on Saturday we may just sit on the stage and wait. At the other end of the site there will be a TV on showing the game, so if it goes over the usual 90mins, as it probably will, we would be ruining everyone's viewing by drowning out Glenn Hoddle's bullsh!t say-what-you-see commentary.... Hang on! I think we're on to something.

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

My band got a call about Saturdays gig asking if we could move from 5pm to either 2 or 3. Seems some bands won't play when the footy is on. I can sort of understand, why play to absolutely nobody?? But a commitment is a commitment, I feel for the organisers. It's a charity event and they might really miss out. Had England won their group they'd have had Belgium's fixtures, which would have not affected this Saturday at all.

I thought kick off was 3pm?

I don't get time to practice bass other than at weekends,  so unless I'm away from home; I make sure I always squeeze in practice on Saturday and Sunday. 

Not a football fan, so the WC is no distraction,  but my time will come next year when it's the rugby world cup.🤔

Edited by Krysbass

the game times down under are midnight and 4am , so yes, OF COURSE I play the bass whilst watching. Through headphones, of course, I'm not THAT crazy :)

England's side of the draw looks easiest, best of luck to you Pom bassists, hope you make the final :) 

Personally I'd like a new winner, so Belgium looks the likliest of the non winners

Thankfully England made that very easy to drive to the gig at half time then play to an enthusiastic and very happy crowd. I was terrified that there would be nobody at the event at all. While it seemed quieter than last year we still got good numbers in and we got them singing along and dancing. A bit fraught when the guys running the stage said we'd overrun and made the next band late... We weren't aware we were over time and we aren't selfish enough to carry on regardless... But they were just stressed and disheveled in the heat and were cool about it later. 

Also, not related to football. This was my first gig with my daughter watching. She couldn't watch the last one because there wasn't enough space for her to be far away enough from the huge noise. She's only 18months. She was pointing at me on stage and generally enjoying herself and dancing with her mum on and off through the set, a great experience for me seeing my daughter enjoy it. For five minutes, then she saw a balloon. 

Played a regular pub gig this weekend, they have a stage the staff set up in one of the window bays kinda thing. It's usually a late gig anyway (first set about 10:15 start, second set 1:00am finish), but with Russia playing for penalties (and I'm glad they've gone out with that approach), it was gone ten by the time they started setting the stage up, so it was gone eleven before we started, so we went straight through in one set till one. Given the heat in the (packed) pub, it was rowdy, sweaty, hard work.

Good fun, though.. 😁

• Like 1