Why become a member? ×

World Cup vs bass time

Yep, I've become fully engrossed in this World Cup so much so that in the evenings rather than put in a bit of bass time I've been watching the matches.  I've not played  bass any since the opener. It's made me wonder if I've lost a bit of interest in bass now. Anyone else been gripped by the WC to the extent you've also not picked up a bass. Taking this wider, what other distractions - other than shouting at the  kids and quality time with missus/mr - would stop you from even taking a bass out of it's case/bag.

I religiously practice every night but the combination of a later time back from work than normal and the footy starting 10 minutes later meant that last nights practice was missed. Normally I can always find at least half an hour a day without fail.

At the risk of sounding seriously pretentious, we are all privileged to be around to watch a World Cup this entertaining, this unpredictable, and this gripping. I've watched every major tournament since 1966 (that's 25 of the buggers) and I simply cannot recall anything that has been this much fun. When Japan -v- Belgium turns out to be a cracker, despite the usually desperately tight Round-Of-16 scenario, you know that all bets are off.

My point? The bass-playing can reasonably be reduced or even set aside just for this short while. You'll kick yourself if you miss one of the great matches because you'd decided to have another run through Play That Funky Music ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cup what?

lol...

*I'm not anti-football.

Very few things are allowed to get in the way of bass time, but I suppose I am in the minority in that it is my job and thus I can't allow distractions in work time. (Well, I try to not be distracted but working from home with a family on the other side of the office door is difficult!)

I don’t normally watch football but I have seen quite a few matches this time. It’s good for testing surround sound (as is the tennis) and yesterday I spent the time sitting in the sofa cooking up a squelchy synth I’ve called ‘lavatory’ with my mini bass and B1on. Quite a nice afternoon actually. 

So the answer is - combine both!

I watched last night's game. Was the first game I've watched for maybe 15 years.

i thought I'd give it a try.

What a bunch of play acting fake injury nobbers. On both sides. Zero respect for the officials as well.

"Privileged" to watch it, my giant fat derrière.

If FIFA won't sort it then let the sponsors do it - would be very easy. Just put a mic on the ref so the players' comments get broadcast. The sponsors wold be very quick to put pressure on. 

And what is the point of endless yellow cards? Time for a 10 minute sin bin whenever a yellow is given.

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I watched last night's game. Was the first game I've watched for maybe 15 years.

i thought I'd give it a try.

What a bunch of play acting fake injury nobbers. On both sides. Zero respect for the officials as well.

"Privileged" to watch it, my giant fat derrière.

If FIFA won't sort it then let the sponsors do it - would be very easy. Just put a mic on the ref so the players' comments get broadcast. The sponsors wold be very quick to put pressure on. 

And what is the point of endless yellow cards? Time for a 10 minute sin bin whenever a yellow is given.

Judging the whole competition (and football in general) based on one, fairly average, game is not particularly fair is it.

But anyway, back to the OP, what's to say you can't sit and play bass whilst watching? There's a lot to be said for simply running scales and basic maintenance like that whilst the TV is on. I read an interview with someone (forget you) where they said they would have documentaries on and basically improvise and play as if they were the sound-track.....fantastic practice!

But ultimately, don't be afraid to take a break from playing! Whilst practice is important, so is life.....as that feeds into your playing! It's once every 4 years (2 if you like the Euros too), give yourself a break and go even harder on the bass when it's finished :)

Si

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Judging the whole competition (and football in general) based on one, fairly average, game is not particularly fair is it.

But anyway, back to the OP, what's to say you can't sit and play bass whilst watching? There's a lot to be said for simply running scales and basic maintenance like that whilst the TV is on. I read an interview with someone (forget you) where they said they would have documentaries on and basically improvise and play as if they were the sound-track.....fantastic practice!

But ultimately, don't be afraid to take a break from playing! Whilst practice is important, so is life.....as that feeds into your playing! It's once every 4 years (2 if you like the Euros too), give yourself a break and go even harder on the bass when it's finished :)

Si

Cos I can't play bass and watch the footie while I've a Punk IPA in one hand and my arm round my missus, who's also well into the WC 😊

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

Cos I can't play bass and watch the footie while I've a Punk IPA in one hand and my arm round my missus, who's also well into the WC 😊

Then I'd argue it's not football that's hampering your practice.....it's beer and women!! 😆

Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Never mind practice it's going to ruin my gig this weekend! If the England game ends in "regulation time" we are on stage ten mins later. Playing to.... Probably the festival organisers and a few people who despise football. I won't get to see any of the game because I'll be driving the forty five mins to the gig and getting set up. We were so excited about this gig until I realised the clash with the footy. While it's not during the game, being realistic, playing just ten mins after the game we are not getting the crowd we wanted. 

Mostly bass time for me. I was an avid follower of football, but the direction the game and the PL players have taken since TV money became the all pervading factor has turned me off completely. I watched the Iceland games as I think they mostly embody what football was like before Murdoch got his grubby paws on it.

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Never mind practice it's going to ruin my gig this weekend! If the England game ends in "regulation time" we are on stage ten mins later. Playing to.... Probably the festival organisers and a few people who despise football. I won't get to see any of the game because I'll be driving the forty five mins to the gig and getting set up. We were so excited about this gig until I realised the clash with the footy. While it's not during the game, being realistic, playing just ten mins after the game we are not getting the crowd we wanted. 

I was talking to a friend earlier. He had one gig cancelled last night, and he’s booked to play at a fete this coming Saturday afternoon.

I had a similar thing a few years ago, only it was a rugby World Cup match, I have to admit up until then I hadn’t realised any other country played rugby.

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

I was talking to a friend earlier. He had one gig cancelled last night, and he’s booked to play at a fete this coming Saturday afternoon.

I had a similar thing a few years ago, only it was a rugby World Cup match, I have to admit up until then I hadn’t realised any other country played rugby.

Not even heard of the All Blacks?

And managed to miss the entire "Johnny Wilkinson wins the world cup" thing?

Edited by fretmeister

It's very hard to keep an eye on the match while you're looking at the mirror practicing your bass face, stance and killer moves!

Actually I don't practice anyway. We have enough gigs usually that I don't really feel like picking it up in between :D

7 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Hope you've been practicing "Footballs coming home" just in case England win in regulation time. Bound to go down a treat.

Blimey.

The 1973 All Blacks -v- Barbarians game is still talked about with great respect just like the 1966 football is.

The 6 Nations is on terrestrial TV every spring! That includes France and Italy. (Although Italy really should get binned to allow Georgia in).

Work and running around after two young children has a big impact on ‘me’ time and I rarely find time to practise at home. In fact the only time I really play these days is  at rehearsals or gigs. For that reason my playing kind of hit a plateau some time ago and hasn’t really progressed since.

We had our first rehearsal tonight for three weeks, since our last gig. We usually rehearse weekly but holidays mean we’ve had a break, and the World Cup means our drummer and guitarist haven’t touched their instruments since the tournament started. Luckily our next gig isn’t for a couple of weeks, we are massively rusty...