Why become a member? ×

Partial to Aluminium ? Acrylic ?

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Well, now you can have both.

Knock a nought off the price & I probably would! Maybe at full price it comes with a crane to lift it.

Wonder who thought that tort was the natural & obvious complement to clear acrylic & polished alu? :lol:

They're not showing it too clearly but I don't think it's exactly the same as the Travis Bean - that's a T-shaped cutout, this looks like a wedge shape. More like the Kramer but with a bit across the top, I suppose.

4 inline would've suited the style of the bass better.

Edited by Bassassin
Details...

Only just noticed - postage - £150. OK, I know acrylic's heavy but... :o

Also having had a look at the Electrical Guitar Company's website, the price he wants for this is cloud cuckoo land - brand-new basses are around $2500.

£150 is taking the michael , but insuring and posting a  £2,500 bass probably isn't cheap.

Didn't the old Travis and Kramer ally neck basses suffer from temperature changes ?  Taking that bass out of your car in the winter into a warm pub ...

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

£150 is taking the michael , but insuring and posting a  £2,500 bass probably isn't cheap.

Didn't the old Travis and Kramer ally neck basses suffer from temperature changes ?  Taking that bass out of your car in the winter into a warm pub ...

Yes, they do and a lot... I remember the glorious days when I had one with a Kahler vibrato on it, always fine (and sometimes heavy) tuning notes while playing thanks this "gadget". That's the main reason why Mick Karn played a Wal, thanks to his tech/roadie that borrowed a Wal during an "impossible to stay in tune" recording session as the studio was just near Wal office. The rest is history.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Yes, they do and a lot... I remember the glorious days when I had one with a Kahler vibrato on it, always fine (and sometimes heavy) tuning notes while playing thanks this "gadget". That's the main reason why Mick Karn played a Wal, thanks to his tech/roadie that borrowed a Wal during an "impossible to stay in tune" recording session as the studio was just near Wal office. The rest is history.

No more so than any wooden necked bass IME.

I've owned 2 Kramers, a Hondo Alien, Hartke XL-4 and a Born To Rock F4B all with aluminium necks, I've never had any problems with them staying in tune on stage. 

IMO Mick Karn always sounded better with the Travis Bean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

If I had any intention of thinking about buying it, I'd be put off by the fact that the back and front plates don't match.

What is the purpose of that huge backplate? Isn’t the whole point of an acrylic body that you can see through it? The Ampeg Dan Armstrong has a much smaller scratch plate as well, for instance.

24 minutes ago, floFC said:

What is the purpose of that huge backplate? Isn’t the whole point of an acrylic body that you can see through it? The Ampeg Dan Armstrong has a much smaller scratch plate as well, for instance.

Indeed.  Make me suspicious, it do.  Arr, me beauties.

23 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Isn't the Travis Bean or Kramer headstock shape patented ?

As far as I can ascertain, EGC operate as an independent builder, but also produce Travis Bean guitars (and an interpretation of the TB2000) now as well.  I'm not sure how the Travis Bean licensing works.

The EGC, Travis Bean and Kramer headstocks are all different.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

As far as I can ascertain, EGC operate as an independent builder, but also produce Travis Bean guitars (and an interpretation of the TB2000) now as well.  I'm not sure how the Travis Bean licensing works.

The EGC, Travis Bean and Kramer headstocks are all different.

Travis Bean as a company stopped making guitars in 1979 (although there was a limited edition of 24 instruments made in the late 90s), and the man himself died in 2011, so I would suspect that any patents, copyrights etc have long expired.

Kevin Burkett the man behind the Electrical Guitar Company once said that he wouldn't make any Travis Bean copies as he didn't want them passed off as the real thing at later date. That situation has obviously changed, although with the Electrical Guitars having a different headstock, it would be very difficult to pass them off as Travis Beans. 

EGC2000-th.jpg

The EGC2000 Bass is based upon Kevin Burkett’s personal favorite bass of all time, the TB2000. He has beaten these basses to hell and back and they have survived it all. The scale has been increased to 34.00” and features a hard tail string through EGC bridge. Gotoh lightweight aluminum tuners are used for this model to save weight and the gear ratio allows for a more precise tuning of each string. The EGC2000 Bass a classic design with a modern touch.

Often requested as an EGC Custom build, the EGC2000 Bass was an obvious addition to the EGC Classic line. TThe EGC2000 Bass comes with 1 EGC bass pickup (in humbucker shell).The rear plate is powder coated with an industrial wrinkle black finish to prevent buckle rash. The control configuration for the EGC2000 is: 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs and 3-way switching.

Price: $2,900.00usd

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Travis Bean as a company stopped making guitars in 1979 (although there was a limited edition of 24 instruments made in the late 90s), and the man himself died in 2011, so I would suspect that any patents, copyrights etc have long expired.

Kevin Burkett the man behind the Electrical Guitar Company once said that he wouldn't make any Travis Bean copies as he didn't want them passed off as the real thing at later date. That situation has obviously changed, although with the Electrical Guitars having a different headstock, it would be very difficult to pass them off as Travis Beans. 

I remember a run of TB2000s were done early 2000s, went up on eBay and sold for ridiculously low prices.  I've upped the images I pulled from eBay at the time (amazingly sixteen years ago today):

36696378_10216658131187632_4885942392064 36728468_10216658131507640_4289303887698

36639140_10216658133187682_3028194287209 36745300_10216658132307660_5980863163657

36667903_10216658133947701_2905240776663 36607578_10216658134027703_6881242468159

The EGC2000 is a close approximation/reinterpretation of the later model/redesign TB2000 (wide wings; the early TB2000s had narrower body shapes), albeit with a slotted EGC headstock.

First Run/Second Run:

55u-5211_front.jpg qlbl0oyjgm6h4oz7fd1k.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

So what you're saying is "looks funny, brain can't cope"?

Well - it might be, you're not explaining too clearly. ;)

Somebody above suggested that if it was black it would look like a boring P bass copy. I was pointing out that it is NOT black, but, to my eye, a rather ugly assemblage of components from differing sources, with different engineering and aesthetics, coupled with a large and oddly ungraceful backplate. So to me it looks plain weird and badly designed.

I can see from this thread that there are those to whom this instrument is the dog’s bollocks, but not to me it ain’t.

Snide remarks were made about the bitsa Jazz in my sig: it’s only a humble bitsa, and it’s a common old sunburst, but to me it looks a lot better than that thing. So there.