Why become a member? ×

PJ Pickup Weirdness?

I have 2 Basses with non-matching pickups. Both do the same weird thing and I don't know why....

My Telebass has a humbucker at the neck and a Jazz in the bridge position. The Humbucker is the predominate sound unless the Jazz is turned up full, when you then get the same thin sound of the Jazz being on full and the Humbucker being off. This is despite the Humbucker being very hot, about 3 times the  resistance of the Jazz. Dial the Jazz back a tiny bit and you get loads of Bass  via the Humbucker with just a little treble in the sound.

So I thought if I got a matched PJ set this issue would not arise but it's still the same on a SD set I've just got and put on a PJ Bass. The P bass pickups are hot on full but add in the full Jazz and the P Bass ones lose their fullness. If you dial back the Jazz just a touch  it brings it back the PBass sound.

Surely having the P and J pickups on full should not diminish the overall punch of the sound so much? Granted you would expect the neck P pickup to be more predominant than a J when on full due to location, but why does both on full suck the overall sound back/down so much?

I had a  stock Jaguar Bass with the same PJ setup and having both pickups on full did not  ( from memory) adversely affect the P sound.... 

Every PJ I've ever had has always been predominantly about the neck pickup and the bridge pickup has always been secondary. 

The only exception to this has been my Warwick Jazzman with a jazz  and humbucker, with the humbucker at the bridge.

2 hours ago, Meddle said:

A lower impedance pickup will always dominate a higher impedance pickup. It seems logical that the hotter pickup will win the fight, but the reverse is the case. Beyond a phase issue, a 30 k ohm mudbucker variant will always lose out to ~ 7 k ohm of Jazz pickup.

Sounds about right. A high output but Hi-Z pickup is only "High Output" when it isn't loaded down by a low impedance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmorris said:

Sounds about right. A high output but Hi-Z pickup is only "High Output" when it isn't loaded down by a low impedance.

@Meddle is, of course right. The signal takes the "path of least resistance". So if the P split-coil is low resistance, the signal will go that way.  What surprises me is that a single Jazz pup bar is hi-Z compared to the split-coil. In many cases.

@BreadBin clearly has one where this is not the case: Relatively unusual IME and surprising that Fender have got it right for once. Credit to them.

Sounds like phase - swap the leads on the J and see...still might not be great, but could be better.

Its worth remembering that in a normal J set, the pickups are designed to be humbucking when equal - so one is reverse wound (and magnetically reverse) to the other..regardless of what colour the wires are.