Why become a member? ×

GHS Precision Flats

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I had a set for a while and for the music I was playing then they were great, that warm rock n roll/Motowny sort of sound.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

I'm doing big band arrangements of loads of tunes at the moment and that would seem to suit.

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I found ghs flats to be similar in nature (sound, feel and tension) to chromes and fender flats. These do indeed sound great on a p bass.

I've never tried the Fenders, but I find them to be very different to Chromes.

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I've never tried the Fenders, but I find them to be very different to Chromes.

I found Chromes to be alarmingly high tension, but this was way back before I was happy about adjusting the truss rod. I may give them another go, but to be honest I find La Bellas perfect for my needs. There's something about a really well worn-in set of La Bellas... ooh, yeah.  :D

I've got Precision Flats on my Musicmaster and they sound great (Curtis Novak pup fitted). My band plays country/Motown.. But not sure if they are any better than Fender flats and I like the green winding colour so perhaps I prefer the fenders? .

1 hour ago, NHM said:

...perhaps I prefer the fenders? .

People tend to fit Fenders, instantly don't like them, then remove. But the initial tone you get is in no way representative of what they sound like when played-in, when they get much closer to La Bellas. Well worth persevering with when you consider a 4 string set is around £24.

Edited by discreet

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

...it’s worth noting that all flats sound completely different new, compared to when broken in.

True. However I find Fender flats take more playing-in than most before they get to where I like 'em. YMMV.

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

...it’s worth noting that all flats sound completely different new, compared to when broken in.

This is vey true, I put a new set on my Rob Allen soon after buying it and it is such a different sound despite being the same strings, wondering now how long I'll have to play it before they sound like the old ones!

i've just fitted a set to my short scale Aria (with a bart p-pup) they feel and sound fantastic, even though the scale is short they have enough tension to not feel all floppy, i've got chromes on my 5 string, the tension is pretty high but i can't remember what they sound like new as it was 4 years ago that i fitted them!

i think i paid 28 quid for my short scale set but that was from Thomann so unless you can split the order with someone or buy lots of other stuff you end up paying 10 euro's postage on top of that.

I put 4 of them on my Urge 2.

They sound awesome. Unfortunately it needs a pretty big truss rod tweak and I haven't got enough movement to cope with the heavy strings.

At the moment I can't afford to have the truss rod replaced so my options are to buy a lighter gauge or go back to my old strings on it.

Bah. Proper annoyed. They sound great.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to put them on my PJ-Ray.

As with every single flat B string I've ever used the B is a little woofy. But not so much as other brands. With luck it will bed in a bit anyway.

The other 4 strings - lovely! the PJ-Ray has an Aguilar 60s wind P pickup and a Nordy Big J Blade. All passive.

Sounds perfect for motown and Duck Dunn stuff.

That will do pig!

• 2 months later...