Why become a member? ×

Dbl bass soft case

Houndogg

Hello,

two questions , I'm based in Edinburgh.

1/ looking for a soft case for a Zeller 190cm tall double bass , what's a good brand ? 

2/ when I bought the bass it came with a large rigid bass case , a bit road worn but totally solid - what should I do with it ? 

Ta 🐶

Get the Tom & Will with towing wheels - not quite semi-rigid but very good padding, and you won't regret having a DB on wheels.

If the rigid case is one of those really light-weight hard-shell types, they're not actually worth a lot of money and they take up a ridiculous amount of storage space. I ended up giving mine away just to see the back of it.

A westbury from Bassbags.co.uk.   Just tell them the length of your bass and yes, they will ship to Scotland.

Mine is just fine and wasn't expensive either; it's one of these:  https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/westbury-double-bass-bag-11mm-padding/

It is not very flashy looking but it folds up to reasonable size, all the webbing is solidly stitched on and it has lots and lots of handles for manouvring in and out of cars and doorways and enough pockets for music, bows a pickup and a lead.  A friend has the one with wheels, and it pains me to hear him dragging it across a rutted carpark - can't be good for the bass!

+ 1 on the Westbury - I have the one with wheels and it's great as it's often a bit of a walk from the car / house to gig. I don't think the wheels have caused any damage to the bass but I couldn't be certain...as NickA says though, the Westbury's have loads of handles / pockets and are really well made.

I don't think the wheeling has damaged my mate David's bass either, but I think my, much older and more frequently repaired bass might not survive it (there are a lot of bits glued to the inside that may drop off) .  If you have a modern and solid bass, especially if it's a laminate one, probably go wheels.  If 17th century Italian (which mine isn't!!) probably not!

Just now, NickA said:

I don't think the wheeling has damaged my mate David's bass either, but I think my, much older and more frequently repaired bass might not survive it (there are a lot of bits glued to the inside that may drop off) .  If you have a modern and solid bass, especially if it's a laminate one, probably go wheels.  If 17th century Italian (which mine isn't!!) probably not!

Haha, fair enough, it does make a massive racket when being wheeled so there is a lot of movement going on that might affect a more delicate instrument.

4 hours ago, Houndogg said:

2/ when I bought the bass it came with a large rigid bass case , a bit road worn but totally solid - what should I do with it ? 

Ta 🐶

These sort of cases can be useful for those of us touring on a budget. I know guys who buy them on ebay for 50 quid, go on tour for two or three weeks and then chuck the case away at the end - they don't last much longer than a few weeks on the road.

So, it might be worth putting it on eBay but as Happy Jack says, don't expect much money for it.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Get the Tom & Will with towing wheels - not quite semi-rigid but very good padding, and you won't regret having a DB on wheels.

If the rigid case is one of those really light-weight hard-shell types, they're not actually worth a lot of money and they take up a ridiculous amount of storage space. I ended up giving mine away just to see the back of it.

Sorry does the case have wheels or do you recommend a set of wheels for the Tom & Will? (since I have one for my newly acquired 100year old german flat back ;) )

On 03/07/2018 at 11:58, Happy Jack said:

I can't help you with being based in Edinburgh, I'm afraid ...

Hello again,

I'm measuring my bass - which I see as a 3/4 and comes in at 190cm from collapsed end pin to top of scroll and looking online that comes in as soft case size 4/4 ? 

Any help on sizing for soft cases appreciated .

ta 

I'm pretty sure that 190cm is the correct measurement for a 3/4-size DB.

Certainly that's what both of mine come out at.

In fairness, they're a tight fit in my Tom & Will soft case. Maybe the listings you're looking at assume that you want a more 'generous' size?

• Thanks 1

basssize.gif  
All measurements 
are in inches
4/4 3/4 3/4 Kay 1/2 1/4
A Full Height
bottom of body to scroll
74.8 71.6 71.6 65.7 61.4
B Body Height
bottom to shoulder
45.7 43.7 43.7 40.2 37.4
C Scale Length
nut to bridge
43.3 41.3 41.5 38 35.4
D Upper Bout Width 21.3 20.3 20.25 18.7 17.3
E Lower Bout Width 26.8 25.6 26.5 23.6 21.9
F Scroll to Shoulder 29.1 27.9 28 25.5 24.0
G Width at Nut 1.8 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.5
©copyright Gollihur Music

On 03/07/2018 at 10:18, Houndogg said:

Hello,

two questions , I'm based in Edinburgh.

1/ looking for a soft case for a Zeller 190cm tall double bass , what's a good brand ? 

Ta 🐶

@Houndogg +1 for a Westbury here too - with wheels!

I officially endorse Westbury basses and products, and without obviously being biased, cannot rate them highly enough.
My Westbury bag measures 180cm in length, internally. The endpin shaft which protrudes from the underside of the lower bout on my bass, tends to sit inside the bag, with just my rubber endpin ball sticking out, but you could get away with the whole shaft sticking out the bottom if you had a bigger bass in there, although admittedly not ideal.
Maybe therefore measure your bass from the top of the scroll to the bottom of the lower bout, ignoring the protruding endpin shaft, and see what that measures at?

Either way, I hope you find a suitable case! :) 

On 05/07/2018 at 23:58, henrywillard said:

@Houndogg +1 for a Westbury here too - with wheels!

I officially endorse Westbury basses and products, and without obviously being biased, cannot rate them highly enough.
My Westbury bag measures 180cm in length, internally. The endpin shaft which protrudes from the underside of the lower bout on my bass, tends to sit inside the bag, with just my rubber endpin ball sticking out, but you could get away with the whole shaft sticking out the bottom if you had a bigger bass in there, although admittedly not ideal.
Maybe therefore measure your bass from the top of the scroll to the bottom of the lower bout, ignoring the protruding endpin shaft, and see what that measures at?

Either way, I hope you find a suitable case! :)

Thanks Henry,

is all learning at the moment 😁

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I tried Bassbags but they are reorganising and couldn't reply , so bought from Gear4Music - a Westbury 4/4 at around £127- thanks Henry. It came from Germany so took a bit longer ( note if using UPS make an sure that you get the details/ dates right first time as they are " computer sez no" 😫) I'm hoping PDSA animal charity eBay team will pick up the hard shell case.

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

On 12/08/2018 at 12:39, Houndogg said:

Hello,

I tried Bassbags but they are reorganising and couldn't reply , so bought from Gear4Music - a Westbury 4/4 at around £127- thanks Henry. It came from Germany so took a bit longer ( note if using UPS make an sure that you get the details/ dates right first time as they are " computer sez no" 😫) I'm hoping PDSA animal charity eBay team will pick up the hard shell case.

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

If that had had wheels I'd take it

While we're here and chatting about it, can anyone recommend a soft case/bag with decent backstraps?

The straps on my bag finally gave up at Boomtown this weekend after 7 years of faithful service.

Ideally I'd like one where the straps are anchored with webbing, thick canvas or real leather, not that stupid faux leather vinyl stuff with a single rivet stuck through it.