Why become a member? ×

Latest 'Yes' live album

spectoremg

44 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

The Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman version. 

My waking thought for many years now has been 'I need to hear another live version of Roundabout '.

And browsing through the track list (usual suspects) I see The Fish.... played by Lee Pomeroy??

Bloody good it was too! I love watching Lee play. So much happiness in every note. And he's playing upside down/inside out/backwards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not even looked at it tbh.  As you say spectoremg, does the world really need more versions of old Yes classics?  However I would be interested to hear Lee P do The Fish.

I really enjoyed the ARW show I saw in Brighton last year.  I'm sort of sad to say that it had a lot more energy and enjoyment than the last few Yes shows I saw - even when Chris Squire was still alive.  I do miss the days when Chris Squire & Alan White played with risk and different live versions were worth owning.  I understand that Alan White had some back problems (since operated on) and that the current Yes lineup with Billy Sherwood on bass may well have a bit more of the intensity of old, so I should check them out.  Having said that, I also missed Jon Anderson's voice once he was dumped out of Yes.  His singing at Brighton was the best I've heard him sound in years.  I probably don't need another live version of Roundabout, but there's a few other things in there that I don't think have been performed since the Union tour (91) or Talk (94)?  Lee Pomeroy's contribution, while a bit lower in the live mix than Chris Squire would have been, was excellent.  I'll probably buy it.

After the Union tour, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman said they'd really like to work together on fresh material.  I must admit I'd be more interested to hear the results of that, albeit some 27 years later!

• Like 1

I only saw them once - it was about 1991 from memory?

'An Evening Of Yes Music Plus' - and featured pretty much every ex-member (up to that point) on revolving stages.

Good show, as far as I recall....although backstage was probably a right old atmosphere! 🤣

From my perspective, after they released Yessongs they could more profitably have split up into solo projects. Rick Wakeman tried to show them the way, but they wouldn't be told.

Yes 1971-73 (but absolutely excluding Toposhitty Oceans) remains one of my all-time favourite bands.

Yes 1974 - date wouldn't feature in my top 1000 bands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much as I loved Chris Squire's input into Yes, ARW is the real deal nowadays IMO, I'll almost certainly get the live album, Live stuff I've seen on youtube show them to be re-invigorated and as others have said, Lee Pomeroy is excellent!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Fair point. Anderson / Howe / Squire / White / Wakeman for me. That's not to belittle the contributions of the others in any way.

(Hey, I even like Drama.)

That's my favourite lineup as well - the only odd thing (yes just the one) I found about Yes when I saw them is: whereas most bands speed up their songs when they play live, Yes played them very slowly and deliberately to the point where they tended to drag.

I like Drama as well and it took a while before I realised it was Trevor Horn on vocals - Tempus Fugit is my favourite song off that album

7 hours ago, jonsmith said:

I really enjoyed the ARW show I saw in Brighton last year.  I'm sort of sad to say that it had a lot more energy and enjoyment than the last few Yes shows I saw - even when Chris Squire was still alive.  I do miss the days when Chris Squire & Alan White played with risk and different live versions were worth owning.  I understand that Alan White had some back problems (since operated on) and that the current Yes lineup with Billy Sherwood on bass may well have a bit more of the intensity of old, so I should check them out.  

If you're feeling particularly ghoulish, look for 'Yes 2018' on Youtube. The recent live clips are horrendous. At the heart of it all is that great festering Downes, ham-fistedly ruining all those wonderful keyboard parts on his Fisher Price. 

To be fair, Howe sounds like he's about to nod off, but he has done increasingly for 20 years. Billy 'it's what Squire wanted' Sherwood and Jon Davidson try their best but it's just parrot fashion. 

The timing's all over the place and it feels under-rehearsed. It's getting silly now. 

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, spongebob said:

I only saw them once - it was about 1991 from memory?

'An Evening Of Yes Music Plus' - and featured pretty much every ex-member (up to that point) on revolving stages.

Good show, as far as I recall....although backstage was probably a right old atmosphere! 🤣

Bit nerdy but the revolving old/new mash-up was the Union tour is what you saw, 'An evening of Yes Music Plus' was the marketing tag for the ABWH tour a year or two earlier.

Never the less, with the live albums piling up, the new members replacing older members who replaced original members, and the tempos all slowing to a snails pace, and the key voices separate and faltering, it's got to be time to call it a day with some dignity. Well done Dr B.

30 minutes ago, visog said:

Bit nerdy but the revolving old/new mash-up was the Union tour is what you saw, 'An evening of Yes Music Plus' was the marketing tag for the ABWH tour a year or two earlier.

Never the less, with the live albums piling up, the new members replacing older members who replaced original members, and the tempos all slowing to a snails pace, and the key voices separate and faltering, it's got to be time to call it a day with some dignity. Well done Dr B.

I think any dignity drained away a while ago. 

On 02/07/2018 at 23:04, wateroftyne said:

As a very recent Yes convert, I really wish I'd seen the classic line-up*.

My selections of the 'classic Yes line-up' .

On Record - The first album "YES"  line-up of Anderson, Bruford, Squire, Kaye, Banks. The cover versions of  'Every Little Thing' and 'I See You' are outstanding and have been essential listening since I first heard them in 1969.  

Live - The "YES ALBUM" line-up of Anderson, Bruford, Squire, Kaye, Howe.   Saw them at Colchester Corn Exchange in 1970 and the Royal Albert Hall in 1971 (supporting Iron Butterfly).   Stunning live performances both times.

Guilty Pleasure - The " 90125" line-up of Anderson, White, Squire, Kaye, Rabin.  Just for 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' - which I consider one the best introductions in the world - ever.

Chris

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

If you're feeling particularly ghoulish, look for 'Yes 2018' on Youtube. The recent live clips are horrendous. At the heart of it all is that great festering Downes, ham-fistedly ruining all those wonderful keyboard parts on his Fisher Price. 

To be fair, Howe sounds like he's about to nod off, but he has done increasingly for 20 years. Billy 'it's what Squire wanted' Sherwood and Jon Davidson try their best but it's just parrot fashion. 

The timing's all over the place and it feels under-rehearsed. It's getting silly now. 

I was at the Glasgow show earlier this year and you couldn't have summed it up better unless you'd mentioned how bad sherwood is and how loose and 'mistakey' howes solos have become. Left disappointed having happily followed their shows since around 1974.  

3 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

Guilty Pleasure - The " 90125" line-up of Anderson, White, Squire, Kaye, Rabin.  Just for 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' - which I consider one the best introductions in the world - ever.

Almost the happiest I've been was in the mid 80's when YES came back from their Hiatus and I heard  'Our Song' on radio 1. Didn't know it was the B side at the time but it could have been any of the songs on 90125 and I'd have been ecstatic.  I know Howe hated Rabin's contribution but when trev left the band he had been in it longer than Steve.  I really like both 90125 and Big Generator.  Bought the last 2 albums - fly from here and heaven earth for completion but I could only bring myself to listen to them once.

I had the 4 disc version of Keys to Ascension - the live tracks were awesome; half of the new album tracks were good, but the rest were just weird and half-baked - a mix of chanty soft-rock and random instrumental outtakes.

• Like 1

I love a bit of YES and if I had to choose my fave 3 albums I would have no hesitation in recommending - 

Big Generator

TALK

Classics all of them. Rabin on guitar is just sublime. Was never a huge fan of Howe but he works well with the band. Rabin however just has that something special.

I'm really looking forward to the YES - ARW release and Lee apart from being a lovely guy is a monster player. Perfect for this band.

Edited by mattbass6

The first album I heard was Fragile and to this day I love every last note of it and play it often.

I love Steve's playing right up to the bit where he steps onto a stage and starts widdling. Sadly cos they've made ten million live albums there are plenty of examples.

The trouble with later Rabin albums is they used studios with 256 channel desks, and used every one of them. Phil Spector's mushy wall of sound ☹️

• Like 1

I surprised myself recently by rather liking Fly From Here.  Can't remember the full back story, but I think some of it was written somewhat earlier than it's release.

9 minutes ago, ead said:

I surprised myself recently by rather liking Fly From Here.  Can't remember the full back story, but I think some of it was written somewhat earlier than it's release.

Yup mostly written in the Buggles era at same time as Drama but never used until later