Why become a member? ×

Show us your set up.

xgsjx

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

That would be me, practising alone as usual.  I don't get out much.  By coincidence and just out of shot I have a fire blanket.  Now I'm wondering what you've heard about them.

BassRig.png.e9b8cde09555d71193d31e5505a2ecf5.png

What you got sitting under the red speaker. Looks like 2 of them. Just curious.

Dave

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Now I'm wondering what you've heard about them.

At one time Ashdown amps had a reputation for overheating and bursting into flames. Whether deserved or not, I don't know. I've certainly never had any such problems with Ashdown gear.

It has become a bit of a running joke though, as has the contention that Ashdowns sound woolly, as though they have had a blanket thrown over them. Again, not true - imho, anyway. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Wow! You have your own amp brand?

Not exactly. I have my own casual engineering services brand, and I have built around half a dozen proof of concept amp builds to showcase my work, along with quite a few other things. That amp was in a luthier friend's NAMM booth in 2017, and a different version was there this year. The one in the pic does ~650 watts at 4 ohms and weighs about 9 lbs. or so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

BassRig.png.e9b8cde09555d71193d31e5505a2ecf5.png

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What you got sitting under the red speaker. Looks like 2 of them. Just curious.

Dave

Two of these:

CarlsbroMarlinPA150.png.402705690eca7fd73f3cda413eb3633b.png
Carslbro Marlin PA 150

I have one on each of the headphone channels from my laptop.  I am lucky enough to be able to practice at decent volumes most of the time so they're handy for the backing music.  I just turn down the "Low" on the laptop channels and play over the recorded basslines.

I also have a TR606 (hidden under Soul Fingers, a book about The Duck, sorry) plugged into one of them.  I can run mics and if needed, I can add the pair of wedges (Celestion CR 102) to the home built (by another BC member) pair of red speakers.

They could be applied to a small PA situation with eight channels between the pair if I could find anyone to accompany me on my own personal journey into music.

In the meantime, I continue to cry into my pillow before I go to sleep to dream of lost opportunities with the band back in Dublin many years ago.  If only I had been on the dole.  Heeheehee.  In truth, have no real regrets.  My job stood me well and left me comfortable enough to enjoy my hobby today.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Two of these:

CarlsbroMarlinPA150.png.402705690eca7fd73f3cda413eb3633b.png
Carslbro Marlin PA 150

I have one on each of the headphone channels from my laptop.  I am lucky enough to be able to practice at decent volumes most of the time so they're handy for the backing music.  I just turn down the "Low" on the laptop channels and play over the recorded basslines.

I also have a TR606 (hidden under Soul Fingers, a book about The Duck, sorry) plugged into one of them.  I can run mics and if needed, I can add the pair of wedges (Celestion CR 102) to the home built (by another BC member) pair of red speakers.

They could be applied to a small PA situation with eight channels between the pair if I could find anyone to accompany me on my own personal journey into music.

In the meantime, I continue to cry into my pillow before I go to sleep to dream of lost opportunities with the band back in Dublin many years ago.  If only I had been on the dole.  Heeheehee.  In truth, have no real regrets.  My job stood me well and left me comfortable enough to enjoy my hobby today.

Cheers and not a bad wee set up for your bass cave.

Like you i gave up moving South on a "maybe" chance in a rock band in 80's because i had a well paid enjoyable (at that time) job and wouldn't give up for a slight chnace of a deal which all fell thru so it was the right decision for me too And again like you i can now enjoy bass mch more than ever before.

Dave  

• Like 1

Different bands require different things so my setup varies massively. I'm not loyal to one type of manufacturer and regularly rotate basses.

The rock 'n' roll band get this

IMG_6487.thumb.JPG.96b3795295144bea4e815d043c168ea5.JPG

But a bigger show might get this

HofRig.thumb.jpg.9f8d36085ae59477424e66ff90bc17b6.jpg

and I'm picking from this (which is missing a Flying V, a uke bass & a fretless, purchased since I took this);

868797688_BassesCollection.thumb.JPG.2e1464193b642d1c6089b74c7eb05eae.JPG

• Like 1

This is my outdoor jazz rig, well it was last Sunday. A 1960 German blonde laminate,   Barefaced OneTen under a Puma500. Then there’s a stool, an iPad stand and lots of wires and Diet Coke. Privet hedge courtesy of the management.

71F953A4-C092-4046-907D-FD3A6803822A.thumb.jpeg.3e616d3a05013fe79f92321781520650.jpeg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bassace said:

This is my outdoor jazz rig, well it was last Sunday. A 1960 German blonde laminate,   Barefaced OneTen under a Puma500. Then there’s a stool, an iPad stand and lots of wires and Diet Coke. Privet hedge courtesy of the management.71F953A4-C092-4046-907D-FD3A6803822A.thumb.jpeg.3e616d3a05013fe79f92321781520650.jpeg

When the Pianist pulls out 'Cherokee' at 300 bpm.....It's always a good time for the Bassist to wonder about and take photos...

:D

19 minutes ago, discreet said:

Just for a fleeting moment I thought that was a Rolf Harris Stylophone...

No, that's definitely a Bass... 😉

To be honest if I accidentally touch the Gain control it doesn't sound a million miles away from a Stylophone !