Why become a member? ×

North East Mini Bass Bash - Report & Videos

wateroftyne

Hi all

First up, thanks to Warwickhunt for sorting this out. It was fab, and he even made the coffee.

A few less turned up than expected - in the end there was Warwickhunt, StevieC, myself and a belated appearance by BigAlOnBass who's car broke down on the way. Not to be defeated, the AA towed him home and he hopped on his motorbike, turning up with frozen fingers and minutes to spare. Now THAT'S commitment!

Top lads one and all, and it was good crack.

Here's some videos we made while we were mucking about... I've embedded them, but if you go directly to the YouTube page you can view them in high quality.

Note that these are totally unscientific, so they're not intended to be direct comparisons. We set them all flat-ish, but that's it. Gear listed is in the order it appears in the clips:

1) Me playing my '73 Precision with roundwounds, through:
Phil Jones Bass Suitcase & Extension cab
Mesa MPulse 600 + Schroeder 410L
Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
Thunderfunk & 2 x Aguilar DB112 cabs

2) Warwickhunt playing his Warwick (a red one) with roundwounds, through:
Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
Phil Jones Bass Suitcase & Extension cab:

3) StevieC playing his Geordie Sandberg JMM 5-string, through:
Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
Phil Jones Bass Suitcase & Extension cab:

4) The not-at-all-ironically-named BigAlOnBass and his chilly motorbike fingers playing a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz through:
Mesa MPulse 600 + Schroeder 410L:

5) Warwickhunt is playing my '71 fretless Precision - better then I ever could - with D'Addario half-rounds, through:
Phil Jones Bass Suitcase & Extension cab
Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
Thunderfunk & 2 x Aguilar DB112 cabs:

It was a lot of fun. We'll do another after Christmas, hopefully with a few more attendees!

Edited by wateroftyne

Looks like you had a good laugh. Some nifty playing there and some sweet gear.

With playing and gear like that on offer even at the tiniest bassbash you won't catch me embarrassing myself at such a gathering any time soon with my rag and bone collection of cut price basses and my near total absence of technical ability!

Maybe one day.

[quote name='neepheid' post='339353' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:37 AM']With playing and gear like that on offer even at the tiniest bassbash you won't catch me embarrassing myself at such a gathering any time soon with my rag and bone collection of cut price basses and my near total absence of technical ability![/quote]

Bollocks! Get yourself along to the next one. I'll be bankrupt by then anyway, with just a tea-chest bass to my name.

As for the PJB rig.. you can probably hear in the clips that it's native tone is a lot more mid-present as the other stuff, and not as wide-sounding (that's not a bad thing).

HOWEVER... a bit of EQ would probably change things dramatically...

[quote name='neepheid' post='339353' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:37 AM']Looks like you had a good laugh. Some nifty playing there and some sweet gear.

With playing and gear like that on offer even at the tiniest bassbash you won't catch me embarrassing myself at such a gathering any time soon with my rag and bone collection of cut price basses and my near total absence of technical ability![/quote]

Double bollocks! If my car had'nt gone bang, it contained a very battered old Trace Elliot amp and Cab, a home-made 2x12", a Precision Lyte with a "custom" body, :huh: and a shaped piece of mahogany mantlepiece with an old Jim Deacon neck stuck on it, to make an "electric upright." :) I just wanted to see how they would compare against the newer stuff. There were absolutely NO EGOS on display, tasty coffee, and tasty Bass sounds. It was worth freezing my round objects off to get there, and have a laugh with a bunch of lads with no pretentions, and the same things in common - Basses! :huh:

Really nice to meet up and put names to faces (even briefly Al) with the opportunity to A/B stuff in a relaxed atmosphere.

However Michael, you've failed to include the best/worst bit of footage all night... You know the point where you swapped speaker leads over, had an epiphany moment as to why there might be silence coming from the rig and your trousers instantly developed an unhealthy aroma. :)

It was good craic and it's amazing how time flies and it isn't till afterwards that you suddenly think; 'Oh but I wanted to hear the PJB through the Scroeder cab' or Gah! How come I can't remember a decent lick or play anything remotely in time/tune when someone suddenly says "I'll tape this". :huh:

Cheers one and all, hopefully a few more can have better fortunes and make the next one and a special thanks to Michael for his video skills.

Hey Stevie

Is your Sandborg the one the GuitarGuitar had in for a while? Tried that one a few times and I really liked it. The Bubinga PM5 they have in sounds good as well but its a bit bling.

WOT - meant to say I was on the same bill as the Caffs a few weeks ago at Durham Gala Theatre - shame you weren't on it or we could have hooked up.

Regards

John

[quote name='JD1' post='339842' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:46 PM']WOT - meant to say I was on the same bill as the Caffs a few weeks ago at Durham Gala Theatre - shame you weren't on it or we could have hooked up.[/quote]

Ah.. shame! They did it acoustic, partly to promote a full band gig there a week or so later. We'll cross paths one day!

WH... I do have that clip. It's hilarious viewing for everyone but me, I imagine... :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='339915' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:37 PM']Ah.. shame! They did it acoustic, partly to promote a full band gig there a week or so later. We'll cross paths one day!

[b]WH... I do have that clip. It's hilarious viewing for everyone but me, I imagine... :huh:[/b][/quote]

Oh please for me, put it up even if you delete it as soon as [b]I've[/b] watched it. :)

[quote name='ped' post='339861' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:57 PM']Awesome lads, cheers for the vids, too. I really like the sound of the PJB.

Top basschatting all round, and good to put a few faces to names. Christ on a bike BigAlOnBass is a huge chap!!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Ped,

Cheers - It was an enjoyable night and the guys were great. Glad you like the sound of the pjb - I have to say the other two main rigs sounded better in the flesh (we are talking high-end gear after all). I gigged last night with the Sandberg and pjb rig and I got a great, articulate tone. It was one of those nights where I was playing fills that I can't normally manage in rehearsals!

Steve

Edited by StevieC

[quote name='JD1' post='339842' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:46 PM']Hey Stevie

Is your Sandborg the one the GuitarGuitar had in for a while? Tried that one a few times and I really liked it. The Bubinga PM5 they have in sounds good as well but its a bit bling.

WOT - meant to say I was on the same bill as the Caffs a few weeks ago at Durham Gala Theatre - shame you weren't on it or we could have hooked up.

Regards

John[/quote]

Hi JD1, Aye, it's the same rig that was in GG. You and I must have the same tastes as also I tried the other Sandberg but went for the MM pickup combination in the end. Mind you, having listened to WoT's precisions, I'm not so sure now...Bling? Bring it on! :) You should see my Marcus Miller Jazz, with it's block markers, bound 'board etc.

I also tried a 3-band Music Man in amber finish in GG at the same time - It sounded amazing but I didn't like the colour. (Shallow I know)

Steve

Steve - I've tried the PM5 lots of times. It sounds great and has a good tight P vibe going on if desired. I also tried out the Sadowsky M5 they have in recently and it sounded brilliant. Great P vibe from the neck pup in passive, great burp from the bridge pup and awesome slap tone from both in active mode. Neck was a joy to play as well. I just think they seem very expensive for what you get...

Yep I remember the orange Ray they had in - it stood out! I've got GAS for a Sterling 5 but nobody seems to have any in yet.

I'd just like to say.
If Big Al reckons that GK amps are crap , Precisions are rubbish and both my bands are sh*te...........well , mate , that's fine by me!!!!

I can highly recommend these 'micro' bashes. There were a few more of us at the Yorks one a bit back but the smaller numbers increase the opportunity to play such a diverse range of gear - and learn both why it's owners chose it , and how it stands up to their requirements.That's reason enough alone to cancel everything and get along toot suite.

The pot of gold attached includes getting to chat with real folks , of all shapes , sizes and musical interests - all sharing the same core interest. It's far , far more than 'look at me , I've got one of these etc'.

Hats well and truly doffed to all that help organise these events , and long may they continue.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='340310' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:00 AM']The pot of gold attached includes getting to chat with real folks , of all shapes , sizes and musical interests - all sharing the same core interest. It's far , far more than 'look at me , I've got one of these etc'.

Hats well and truly doffed to all that help organise these events , and long may they continue.[/quote]

I've got to agree with the above sentiments. Everybody's gear was available to everybody else, expensive Basses were being passed around like cheap biscuits, and apart from helping to organise it, Warwickhunt makes EXCELLENT coffee. :huh: I just wish my fingers weren't like blocks of ice, so I could have appreciated it more. :huh:

(oh, and Dave-Both your Bands are excellent, I love Precisions, and I want a GK amp. :huh: )

and it snowed on the way home on the Bike. :)