Why become a member? ×

Paulownia Papered P Bass

Woodinblack

Hi All,

I have one of those cheap paulownia P bass bodies like people have. I have read all the threads and got very confused as to what I need to seal it with / not seal it / cover it.

What I want is a P bass, normal size, 5 string (in a P bass 4 string space).

I am thinking of painting it with spray can red, but the difference is that I want to cover the front with paper, a la the paisley telecaster (i have the paper, its a specific print). Then maybe a partially transparant pick guard (can't remember, I suppose it has routing holes).

So first things first - do I need to seal this body and if so, what is the product I need to buy to seal it?

I'll be interested in how you do this - I was considering it for the finish on one of the headless short things I'm building using the decoupage paper you get from Hobbycraft (though a single sheet wasn't big enough for a normal guitar body):

x5jOULd.jpg?1

Look forward to see how you do this. Cheers

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Hi All,

I have one of those cheap paulownia P bass bodies like people have. I have read all the threads and got very confused as to what I need to seal it with / not seal it / cover it.

I am thinking of painting it with spray can red, but the difference is that I want to cover the front with paper, a la the paisley telecaster (i have the paper, its a specific print). Then maybe a partially transparant pick guard (can't remember, I suppose it has routing holes).

So first things first - do I need to seal this body and if so, what is the product I need to buy to seal it?

My '72ish P bass body is Paulownia and I didn't seal it as such I sanded it to 240 grit, then I just did 3 coats of under coat, flattening after the second coat then 3 top coats and the body came out flat with no grain sinkage 

I suppose it depends on how thick the paper is? If its like tissue paper then you might see some grain through it but if it's quite thick then I think you should be go fine 🤔

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I wish I could answer. Hoping you post a DIY regarding the paisely paper, had 2 attempts at it last month and both ended in disaster.

It'll be nice to see somebody succeed where I failed miserably 🙂

Be good to know what went wrong, if its not too painful? Did you use those paisley wraps?

12 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

My '72ish P bass body is Paulownia and I didn't seal it as such I sanded it to 240 grit, then I just did 3 coats of under coat, flattening after the second coat then 3 top coats and the body came out flat with no grain sinkage 

I suppose it depends on how thick the paper is? If its like tissue paper then you might see some grain through it but if it's quite thick then I think you should be go fine 🤔

Sounds great - is that just normal car spray paint undercoat or anything special?

34 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds great - is that just normal car spray paint undercoat or anything special?

Yeah I just used Halfords own brand primer and I used the Plastikote satin top coat, 

Are you going to keep the 4 string neck because that's what I'm doing to one of my P basses at the mo and if it comes out OK I'm going to do it to my Jazz bass as well......... 😀 

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Thanks

It will be the normal P bass neck, but it will have 5 strings on it. That actually gives it a slightly wider spacing than my fireman, as P bass necks are so wide.

I'm going to use an 5 string acoustic bass nut as they are 43mm because every other nut I've found is 45mm

I worked out that I would need 9mm spacing at the nut and the bridge spacing needs to be 16mm otherwise the strings will be too close to the edge of the fretboard (sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs) 😀

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I'm going to use an 5 string acoustic bass nut as they are 43mm because every other nut I've found is 45mm

I worked out that I would need 9mm spacing at the nut and the bridge spacing needs to be 16mm otherwise the strings will be too close to the edge of the fretboard (sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs) 😀

Yes, the nut is a problem. I got a 43mm nut which was height adjustable. That would have been great except my neck was 42mm! My string spacing is 9mm at the nut and the 15mm at the bridge. Because it is not the widest 4 string neck it gets close to the edge and I was a little worried about it but it is fine and I don't have an issue with the edge at all (mind you I will be gigging it at the weekend, we will see how that goes). The P bass neck is I believe a bit bigger, or maybe it is an optical illusion.

Turns out I love this spacing.

Weird composite (to remove parallax) of the edges:

neckspace.jpg.d7562d8660125fb96fcbd7dc2eeb8cae.jpg

The spacing of which is 

neckend.jpg.e54bfed9f8e3cd59cda3c8b8db62a624.jpg

Mines the same its got a 42mm nut and 64mm at the heel so that's why I went for the 43mm because I thought 0.5mm overhang won't be noticeable 

What bridge have you got because the smallest string spacing I could find was 16mm?

The 43 was noticeable on mine so I got a bar of nut material at trimmed it down. The fireman had got monorails on it which when pressed together are 15mm. You can get stingray bridges at 15mm and I know you can get “normal” bridges too as I had a cheap bass with that spacing, but very hard to find stuff under 17mm

Edited by Woodinblack

Would love to get any narrower bridges, it is so hard to find decent spaced bridges anywhere, even china.

Its odd really - the standard spacing on an ibanez is 16.5, and they are very common, so you would think there would be loads of aftermarket 16.5mm bridges, but there aren't.

Most of the bridges I've looked at are the curved musicman style and they are all 16mm spacing 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F190687163850

Or this one 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362150047845

There's loads of 16.5mm on ebay 

Edited by Jimothey

funnily enough, my wife has just given me some marvel comic paper which I am going to put on an old telecaster that I have kicking around to test the papering thing before I do it with the good paper!

I bought some red primer and have now done the first coat.

On 02/07/2018 at 18:31, Woodinblack said:

Hi All,

I’m doing one right now 

I’ll repky in more detail shortly